good music colleges?

Are you looking for strictly a music school or university? I have heard good things about both University of Miami and Indiana University. Then again, those were from my band teacher in high school about 3 years ago.

no matter what i really want to do the whole audio production thing..ive been dead set on doing it for about the last 5 years and i cant think of anything else i would want to do. im already recording local bands almost every weekend here in my parents house.. im having a blast so far, so i dont see any reason to stop now!

i dont think north texas has a recording program but i could be wrong..as far as a music school though, ive heard good things about it

If your in NY and don't want to spend a shit load of cash: Oneonta is a four year college that offers a bachelors in music production and the degree is acompanied by some music buisness couses (they also teach pro tools). There is also Ithaca college an excellent music school in upstate NY. Berklee ownes as far as production goes. Unfortunatly most colleges in NY are 2 year programs (I know I am in NY and I have looked). I currently go to a comm college and am doing my gen ed courses there and intend to transfer into SUNY oswego next year. The college I attend now has a good start as far as teaching mic placement elements of sound etc, you know the boring shit, the shit people don't care about but should know. Ultimatly, buying gear and using it alot is what weighs out in the end but education is important also.

MX582 said:
i dont think north texas has a recording program but i could be wrong..as far as a music school though, ive heard good things about it

oops,
i didn't realize when i posted that he was mainly looking recording programs

when i looked into that in high school it was kinda lame, because most schools that have good recording programs have some crazy high $$$ equipment...the kinda stuff most of us won't get to use in the real world; so while people learned a lot, they learned it all with super high end stuff

maybe some schools are different now tho, it's been a few years

i settled on studying web/graphic design (which i'm currently still in school for) rather than music study route, i can't say i regret it

BlackestEyes said:
Are you looking for strictly a music school or university? I have heard good things about both University of Miami and Indiana University. Then again, those were from my band teacher in high school about 3 years ago.

IU has a great school of music, but I haven't heard much about their production/engineering aspect. ABout 2 1/2 hours north of IU, though, is Ball State University and they DO offer a Music Engineering Technology degree. At the time I was in it, it was only 1 of a very small handful of University based Audio Engineering Degrees at this type of level (At least that's what I was told). That may have since changed, and it probably has. I was in the program for 2 years before changing my major to nuclear medicine. The pre-req's are so involved that in my 2 years, I had yet to see any kind of studio or done any hands on studio type work. Also, you had to minor in applied physics when I was there (94-96 in th program, but graduated from the uni in '99). AT the time of my college life, MET (Music Engineering Technology) was the longest course offered at the school and required more credits than any other degree (BSU is best known for it's Architecture, Telecommunications and teaching schools, FWIW). In addition to the minor in applied physics, you also had to take a minimum of 2 years classical instrument. During that 2 years, you were required to perform one solo song during "recital hour" 4 times during the 2 years, an perform 2 solo evening concerts (1 30 minute, 1 45 minute) during your classical training period. On top of all that, you had to apply/interview/perform to be considered for the school...intimidating!

Nowadays it's quite a bit different...A senior student in the program used my band to record his senior project, so I got to check out the studio and see how it works these days...Nowadays you have a choice of minors you must choose, computer science, applied physics and something else (music or computer related I think).

The main studios you learn in are mind blowing though. At the time of installation of the newest flagship studios, BSU had the only D-Control/ICON/Pro Tools HD setup or whatever...Can't really remember what it's called, but you see pics of it in Sweetwaters catalogs and on their website. The facilities for their program are waaaaay above anything I would have ever thought and I would wager it rivals just about any studio in the world for sheer volume, quality and setup. The place was crazy good.

Unfortunately, I feel the dude who recorded our band for his project sucked ass completely as an engineer, especially when it came to metal. For his classical training he played piano, and his forte was classical and jazz piano, so go figure...

EDIT
BSU's listing on the AES website is the first one on this page:
http://www.aes.org/education/courses.cfm?GeoID=2&ProgTypeID=4

Anyway, after reading up on past graduates of the program during my time there, I saw that most were working in music stores, not really doing anything. I know I didn't want to end up like that, and any chance I would have in the music I liked (metal) would be a matter or luck and real world experience. Aside from that, my time in the music program sucked 100% of the fun I had with music away, and I actually left school for a bit and hated music. Once I went into my other favorite field, science (nuclear medicine), I graduated, have a good job, and play more and do more with music than I ever did at any other time in my life.

My vote goes to investing in gear, small workshops, internships and gaining experience.

Sorry for the long ass post.

hmm
any uk people out there?
im 16 and in my first year of a levels
im taking physics, chemistry maths and IT and i intend to do some sort of sound engineering course afterwards, although the general consense of this thread is that u may as well spend ur time and money on gear and scrap the uni idea
what do u guys think? (uk guys)