Where to stop with band requests for mix revisions!

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
Been doing this for a few years now and obviously, mix revisions are something you have to do when dealing with bands with 4-5 opinions on how it should sound. I always work hard to keep everyone pleased as well as keeping happy with the mix myself.

This one band lately though have really been taking the piss. It was supposed to be a "live" video and I was doing the audio. Only one song, NOT metal. They left out some flute parts in the song in the live takes so they could focus on them and re did them in a session after. This one overdub session turned into 2 and we spent a great deal of time working on the mix in these also.

So I did a mix myself and gave it to the band to critique. I asked them to come in and finish it off with me in an attended mix session as I normally do. That way they get to check it out at home, develop opinions, make a list of alterations and I work on the new mix before they come in to finish it. Standard enough fare I'd imagine, its a system that usually works very well.

So now this turned into 3 attended mix sessions as after every time they went home with their mix they decided they wanted changes. After the last one I told them we can't keep doing this- I've more work lined up and we have to draw the line somewhere, and I'm completely happy that we've squeezed every ounce of quality out of it. They agreed and I gave them their finished mix and sent it out to the rest of the band.

Was working with another band today when I get a text message a few hundred words long including a new list of changes to be made to the mix by a member who was "too busy" to come to the mixing sessions. He fully expects another mix to be done.

What was originally a 1 day record, 1 day mix of a song for a video has snowballed into 4 days recording and 1-2 days mixing on my part, and 4 mix sessions at various times with the band. All for very little money as they were on a very budget and I was eager to be part of it as it is a cool project. They haven't been paying for attended mix sessions I might add.

How do you let a band like this know you've drawn the line and aren't going to work on it anymore. I've already told them I consider it finished and don't want to make any more changes but they clearly want to keep working on it. I think I've been too accomodating for them, letting them call over when I've got some time to work on it.

Start charging them for the mix revisions. They will most likely leave it how it is now. Surely initial mix revisions are fine but time is money.

Start charging them for the mix revisions. They will most likely leave it how it is now. Surely initial mix revisions are fine but time is money.

This, if they've said they're happy with it they don't have a foot to stand on if they demand you do it again. They didn't pay for a lifetime of your work, they should pay more if they want more work done.

I always tell them they need to agree on something first internally before it gets to me.
That way a lot of stuff gets sorted out naturally. I also want a written list. :)

One revision included, and if they develop new views on the mixes after that, it's an hourly fee. After things are approved, they're approved.

I hate it when a band books a project with a really tight schedule, delivers the material horribly late and then starts with the "two changes at a time"-routine. Just when I've finished uploading a new version, I get a message saying "oh yeah, and the bass needs to be dropped 0.5dB and the tom hit at XX:XX is wrong", and after I've uploaded a second new version, I get another message saying "oh yeah, and the vocalist isn't happy with the delay after all, we need to think that over" and so on and so on. And of course, each message contains a friendly reminder of the deadline even though I'm already working my ass off because they failed to follow the schedule.

I swear i have heard this same story about 10 million times now. Simple fix...Charge them for your time.

Just think of all the money you could have made on these revisions. o_O

I always tell them they need to agree on something first internally before it gets to me.
That way a lot of stuff gets sorted out naturally. I also want a written list. :)

I tell the artist/band that I provide ONE complimentary revision. I ask for the corrections in writing and any subsequent revisions are back on the clock.

One time I had a band of arrogant assholes that thought they were gods of audio. They ran me around like that and when they asked my for another revision I got fed up and sent them the original mix again and they said it was great. Most of the people you will record will be burnt out on listening to the same thing and will pick at anything they imagine they are hearing. Either that, or they have no idea what they actually want.

Most people want the full mix immediately after tracking, but I always try to ask the band to give their ears a break before listening to a final mix and come back to it fresh.

Yeah I think I've been too nice on this one. It was a very cool project that I wanted to be a part of so dropped my rate and tried to accomodate them as much as possible. I think I gave them too much freedom and now they feel they can just keep asking for changes and I'll do it since I was so easy going with it earlier.

It's been especially annoying with this project as I decided to make more use of my outboard making recalls a nightmare!