Where's a good place to start with King Crimson?

May 7, 2002
Years ago I tried listening to something by them. I think it was called Dinosaur. The most intense memory I have of that album was the desire to drink Nyquil so the music would be more interesting. It was too plodding for my frenetic tastes.

Over the years I've contemplated checking them out again, but... I don't know where to start.

Anyone?

In The Court Of The Crimson King, Larks Tongue In Aspic, Thrak, Three of a Perfect Pair, Discipline, off the top of my head. I'm partial to the first album, but really like the Adrian Belew releases as well. (Must be the Zappa connection) Sample some stuff on you tube, and see what floats your boat. There's a lot of variance to their music, and some of their stuff even sinks my boat. :devil: Overall, Discipline is a good starting point IMO, if I had to choose just one.... I'm hoping others chime in here, as I'm no way an expert, just know what I have, and what I like. I remember nearly getting into a fistfight with an April Wine fan at the Aragon in Chicago, over 21st Century Schitzoid Man, as he insisted it was an April Wine song....Ahhh fist fights over music, and King Crimson those were the days......:Spin:

cover_14371519112009.jpg

In the Court of the Crimson King for sure, then In the Wake of..., then explore more at your leisure.

Larks Tongue In Aspic is my favorite.....the first is a classic and always a must.
I am more a fan of the earlier material.
As J-Dub said....they can be very hit and miss depending on taste.

As J-Dub said....they can be very hit and miss depending on taste.

More they can be hit or miss based on all the lineup changes. Different eras have produced different sounds.

Classic lineup - ItCotKC, ItWoP. The first album is a classic, the second often feels like it is trying to be the first.

Boz Burrell lineup - Islands, Lizard. Worthwhile stuff in there, but really I'd leave it til the end.

Bruford, Wetton, Cross lineup - LTiA, Starless And Bible Black, Red. Probably my favorite era. Definitely recommend LTiA and Red.

80's lineup - Discipline, Three Of A Perfect Pair, Beat. Adds Adrian Belew and Tony Levin in place of Wetton. Probably would check out Discipline first. Personally, never cared for Belew as a singer, tho from here on out he sings most of the material.

Double Trio lineup - Thrak. Fripp tried adding another drummer and bass player to the 80s lineup. It works well enough, tho it seems superfluous.

2000 lineup - The ConstruKction Of Light, The Power To Believe. After many experiments, Fripp drops Bruford and Levin for the two guys he added with the Double Trio, Trey Gunn and Pat Mastelotto. Personally never warmed up to ConstruKtion, but I liked The Power To Believe.

The current lineup hasn't produced an album yet, but it consists of Fripp, Levin, Mel Collins, Gavin Harrison (Formally of Porcupine Tree), Jakko Jakszyk, Pat Mastelotto and Bill Rieflin. (Yes, there are three drummers in the band.)

There also has been various offshoots from former members doing Crimson and Crimsonish music - 21st Century Schitzoid Band, Stick Men, The Adrian Belew Trio, etc. There is also far more than just the albums, considering that Fripp has released just about everything live that he has on CD at some point.

Thanks everyone! It sounds like I might have a lot of listening to do...

I agree with what most have said, the music is VERY diverse with different eras of their music actually sounding like a completely different bands.

I think the first two discs are prog rock masterpieces.

JayDub is right. Most of their stuff is on YouTube. Check it out and see if you like any of it.

ITCOTCK has never been out of print since first released, and was pretty much revolutionary for it's time. Beyond that, I like most of all tracks from the next 3-4 albums. Not a huge fan of the Belew period though.