Which 8 channel pre?

Polpotkin

Hit'er in the shitter
Dec 12, 2005
Sweden
www.myspace.com
I'm buying an 8-channel preamp after christmas. The question is which one?
My economy allows for a preamp in the 800€ range (1000$ ?), so based on what i've read I was thinking a Digimax FS would be a good choice.

But recently I heard a shooutout on a swedish forum between a focusrite octopre and behringer ADA8000 and to be honest, to me the Behringer sounded far much better (in almost everyones opinion). :Smug:

So. Any recommendations? Is the Digimax the ultimate unit in this price range or is it better to save the money and buy behringer, and spend the rest on a better channelstrip or mic..?

i got the ada8000 although i have not tested any other units im actually quite happy with it for 8 extra mic preamps for my digi001 via lightpipe.

If you wanna hear i did this recording with just these 8 mic preamps from behringer.

dyingsociety.com

I'm buying an 8-channel preamp after christmas. The question is which one?
My economy allows for a preamp in the 800€ range (1000$ ?), so based on what i've read I was thinking a Digimax FS would be a good choice.

But recently I heard a shooutout on a swedish forum between a focusrite octopre and behringer ADA8000 and to be honest, to me the Behringer sounded far much better (in almost everyones opinion). :Smug:

So. Any recommendations? Is the Digimax the ultimate unit in this price range or is it better to save the money and buy behringer, and spend the rest on a better channelstrip or mic..?

i have a friend who does really good work with the behringer. as far as the presonus goes, i own a digimax lt and use it alot. i also own an rme quadmic. to me the rme sounds alot cleaner(not necissarily in a thin way) than the presonus. the presonus seams more colored somehow. the digimax is best on cymbals and toms for me. i cant get into guitar or vox with it though for some reason. i prefer the rme pres over the digimax for guitars. one thing i can say is when i added an external clock in my setup, the digimax sounded better than it did before(so didnt everything for that matter). i have heard it makes the same difference on the ada8000. given your budget, i think an rme octamic would be the way i would go. it will probably last you longer and be more versatile. i would also try a mackie onyx. alot of people like those as well. good luck man.

Damn, I forgot to say that it must be with ADAT i/o (HDSP9652), and unfortunately that rules out the octapre (The octapre-D is a bit too expensive).

Motu 8pre, is that the same pres as in the 828mk2? They were really nothing special IMO

I would go for the DigiMax FS, 8 solid class-A pres for a great price, ADAT...can't go wrong. If you have the money though, get the RME, you won't be disappointed.

~e.a

Can you post link please? :loco:

Ok, this is a drum recording. The behringer file is named "focusrite.wav" and vice versa (was revealed later in the thread)

Focusrite http://www.hoborec.com/preamp/behringer.wav
Behringer http://www.hoborec.com/preamp/focusrite.wav

To my ears, the behringer respond better to transients, it's more punchy. But the high end is slightly clearer with focusrite. Unfortunately it's two different takes.

EDIT
I notice now that "Far much better" was an exaggeration, but still, I honestly like behringer better

The difference isn't as big as I expected, but I find the differences to really pop out when you start comping and eqing them.

That said, the Behringer sounded a little 'cheaper' to me.