Which album(s) did Joey quad track guitars?

Oceano - Depths

From a Thread way back when on the Andy Sneap Forum:

i use an xt with the spdif sync'd to my fireface 800

using the diamond plate model on the pod xt
quad tracked, 2 with a tube screamer, 2 with very low gain for notes

using the 4x12 treadplate cab with the condensor mic setting, no "room" verb

using the pod xt pro's cab sim. 4x12 treadplate cab on the condenser mic setting.

you gotta cut a lot of 4khz to make it happen

no impulse
quite a bit of post processing, mainly eq and frequency enhancements

guitars are going through this chain...

q1, 12khz low pass
psp vintage warmer, +4 drive, 10% knee, 50% speed, 0 everything else
c4, push the lows down
waves s1 shuffler on preset "subtle widening"

to explain the quad tracking

guitar player A:
-guitar track A, high gain
-guitar track aa, low gain (second take)

guitar player b:
-guitar track b, high gain
-guitar track bb, low gain (second take)

I tried doing this for a while, but hasn't been worth it for the results I've been getting.

Just gotta face that another End of Heartache will never exist haha

Wow thanks Z3RO, very insightful. The band I'm working with next is interested in quad tracking, so I wanted to hear how it sounded when done professionally (in the same genre). Had no idea that a record ive listened to for years was quaded, lol. Thanks again.

When he says, "for notes", do you think it means when a note plays, he edits the high gain tracks out and automates the volumes of the low gain tracks up to compensate?

no, I'm sure its all at the same volume and the guitar buss is moved up and down.

basically when you're tuned so low and you have tons of gain, the notes will start to disappear into all the distortion. So quad tracking and lightly blending in the not so distorted guitar will really help with the notes sound audible and not a jumbled up mess of distorted chugs.

do any of you guys quad track? ive tried and it just seems like way more work than its worth, it definitely has to do with the guitarists ability to play exactly the same thing or else its a ton of editing to make it sound as one track for L/R

do any of you guys quad track? ive tried and it just seems like way more work than its worth, it definitely has to do with the guitarists ability to play exactly the same thing or else its a ton of editing to make it sound as one track for L/R

I'm currently quad tracking (2 left 2 right) for the first time, its a lot of work and very musician dependent. Finally got a band that rip at guitar riffing so giving it a try, and its worth the effort forsure. Getting incredible results, but the trick is keeping that gain knob lower than you think sounds awesome. Bands called Freedom For Your Life, check em out on myspace, their vocalist won idols South Africa so they now currently tracking their new EP with me

i did it once, would never do it again haha. but i think i got a decent turnout. and yes, the low gain should be lower than what sounds good haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not at all sure about this, but whenever you do the double for each side, could you run it through Vocalign to tighten them up? I wouldn't think that Vocalign PERFECTLY matches the second track to the source track, so it wouldn't be like making an exact copy.

I've never tried it or even heard of anyone trying it, just throwing it out there in case it is a possibility!

Quad tracking will give you a thicker sound no doubt, the first song I ever recorded was quad tracked, and that was before I even knew how to quantize guitar tracks, now that I look back though, thicker doesn't necessarily mean better, double tracking makes the mix cleaner imo.