Which album should I get, Killing Ground or Metalhead?

Epica

May 4, 2003
Lost and Damned
Visit site
I know I've made a similar topic before, but now I know it's a toss up between these two. Which one of these would you recommend the most, 'cause I'm too cheap to buy them both (at once)! :p
If my online shop had Dogs of War, I wouldn't have asked you, because then I would definitely have gotten that one, because of the pure excellence of the title track.

Keep in mind that this will be my first Saxon purchase (don't ask what took me so long, I don't know, honestly)! :)

Epica said:
I know I've made a similar topic before, but now I know it's a toss up between these two. Which one of these would you recommend the most, 'cause I'm too cheap to buy them both (at once)! :p
If my online shop had Dogs of War, I wouldn't have asked you, because then I would definitely have gotten that one, because of the pure excellence of the title track.

Keep in mind that this will be my first Saxon purchase (don't ask what took me so long, I don't know, honestly)! :)

Get unleash the beast if you can. Otherwise...go for Killing Ground. I don't like Metalhead much :\

You should get both:)
Epica said:

Unleash the beast is the best one to buy. But if it definitely has to be either Killing Ground or Metalhead, then I would say get Killing Ground. Metalhead has some great tracks on it, but Killing Ground is probably the better overall album, with not a bad track on it.

Epica said:
Is that bonus disc the 1-cd version of Heavy Metal Thunder?

It's only some of the tracks. It doesn't have 747, Heavy metal thunder, Power & the glory, never surrender and backs to the wall.

Had Metalhead on earlier. I forgot how great all guns blazing is :D That and Sea of life are the only two songs I really like on the album though :erk:

masterofsolos said:
Had Metalhead on earlier. I forgot how great all guns blazing is :D That and Sea of life are the only two songs I really like on the album though :erk:

Sea of Life is indeed a great track, it is one of my favourite Saxon songs. But you only like that and All Guns Blazing off the Metalhead album? What about Song of Evil and Conquistador? Those are two great tracks! Not to mention the title track, what a way to start an album. Travellers in time ain't a bad track either!

Metalhead, Song of Evil, Conquistador, and Sea of Life would all probably get into my top 15 Saxon favourite tracks.

I can feel a pole coming on!

Er.......maybe I should rephrase that! :lol:

A pole between friends is not much at all so i'm told.Hnnn maybe thats an insult.My advice is Killing Ground its the one that got me back into Saxon.I seem to remember asking the same last year and all everyone did was confuse me,so just buy the first one you see.

Metalhead, my number one favourite album, has only one song i dislike on it, the "piss of (bomb)" song.
Between KG and Metalhead I would chose Metalhead, greater production, sound and songs, but they're both a bit unsimilar to eachother, in KG Saxon uses the more slow and oldstyle riffs again, but in Metalhead they have a unique sound, very heavy with fast riffs and solos, and very fast drums, maybe they have that sound on KG too on some tracks (Shadows on the wall?), so it depends on what you like, Iron Maiden kind of oldschool metal or really heavy metal.

I prefer Killing Ground. Like Fingers said, the limited edition is a sweet deal, and as good an introduction as you can get to the band without actually buying the older albums or a compilation. It depends on your tastes. Personally, I find Metalhead to be a bit too blunt and simplistic in some places (like the title tune and "Piss Off"), maybe a bit of a modern/ nu-metal influence? Killing Ground is a slight return to their older style, with more bluesy riffing, power metal-type structures, and a surprisingly excellent cover of King Crimson's "Court Of The Crimson King." Killing Ground wins hands down in my book.

I'd go for Unleash first as its a brilliant album. Then it would be Metalhead for me.
A real grower of an album, with tracks like Metalhead, Travellers in Time, Sea of Life and Conquistador being some of there best.
Killing Ground is also great, but it has a few average Saxon songs on it, like Running for the Border and Deeds of Glory, which sort of go no-where for me.

Travellers in Time got the heaviest riff of all songs! :headbang: And the solo is worthy an applause! I love when the solo just plays a bit at first, and then BOOM solo begins.. aaaaah, the one in "Rock is our Life", when the solo just breaks through the riff, surprise! and very fast and heavy i love that one.