Which black or death metal band do you think most appeals to gay men?

Serve Your God

New Metal Member
Sep 8, 2004
Not looking for any fights or name-calling, this is serious social research.

So, are any of you gay? If so, what is your favourite black or death metal band? Thanks for your participation!

By forgetting the words Death and Black for one moment I'd say Judas Priest, not only because Halford is gay but because of all this optical appearance (Leather).

But as I'm not gay and I don't know anyone who is and listens to Metal, I can only suppose something like Cradle of Filth fits well. I think there must be some kind of gothic-touch, you know, this romantic-depressive feeling, and maybe some sexual intention in either lyrics or presentation.

But after all, every homosexual I know is completely different, since they listen to some kind of happy 80's pop-music, classical music or high-quality female music like Dido or others I can't remember this time. Ballads are also highly recommended...

identifying gay men with a subculture is probably still appropriate, but assuming that the subculture also has uniform tastes in music might be stretching it a bit too far. some bands or scenes are clearly frowned upon by gay people due to an explicit anti-homosexual attitude, though.

i was having dinner with a gay couple two nights ago and we discussed music. one of the two had tastes going in the general subcultural direction you'd imagine: big fan of Madonna, Norah Jones and other female singers. at some point the matrix soundtrack was playing on the stereo and he said he could tolerate the marylin manson (not sure about the spelling, i always get it wrong with the "y" and "i"'s) tune but not much else. his boyfriend, on the other hand, instantly asked me to make a copy of rammstein's "mutter" for him after i'd played in his car. then again, he's a friend of mine and i've been indoctrinating him with fast-paced music for a while (and yes, rammstein are quite camp, i know).

another gay man i know quite well has a passion for mainstream italian singers, the ones who get played on the radio for a while then disappear, and he also loves 80's techno-pop. some others enjoy classical above all. so, in general, i wouldn't say that there is a gay musical niche, if you avoid the "scene" of gay discos in big cities.

anyway, i don't know about bm/dm, but if i had to pick one single hard rock band, it would no doubt be scorpions. have you ever looked at the sleeves for their records? nothing beats them in the gayness department. :D

Here's a radical idea - There's similar amounts of variation in homosexuals musical tastes as there is in heterosexuals.

@sole: this is true, but it is also true that in most western countries there's only a handful of hangout places that are routinely frequented by homosexuals, especially people in their 20s and 30s, and these places have a precise musical offering, which is bound to influence their clientele's taste. also, the fact that some artists have made themselves poster persons for gay rights somehow skews the distribution - like, i listen to punk rock because i also like some of the political ideas behind it, a gay man might want to listen also to musicians that fight for his cause or describe experiences related to life as a homosexual.

hyena said:
@sole: this is true, but it is also true that in most western countries there's only a handful of hangout places that are routinely frequented by homosexuals
That may be the case, but again, there will be plenty of homosexuals who never go to such places.

I was about to begin wondering what the possible groundbreaking applications of the results of such 'serious social research' could be, when I realized.. I think I'll ponder about the nice piece of lint that's curiously stuck to the side of my monitor instead.

Sole4Raziel said:
Here's a radical idea - There's similar amounts of variation in homosexuals musical tastes as there is in heterosexuals.
Get out! :eek:

Oh, not gay, but methinks CoF and perhaps, Arcturus, would factor up there.

I know this is off topic and belongs elsewhere - BUT but and even yo butt -

An overwrought (insert name here) obsesses on his newly developed sexual identity crisis -

Down in Miami where the sun shines bright
I watch the pretty boys dance all night
Look how they move with such grace and ease
Why am I staring oh could it be
oh boys ... how 'bout them boys
I told my doctor maybe I was going queer
He asked me out for sushi and beer
I told my priest I think I'm turning gay
He said I'd make a great archbishop someday
Down in Miami where the cuban boys prance
One of them sweeties grabbed a hold of my ass
Back at the hospital they said he'd be okay
See how the lord works in mysterious ways

im gay, and i don't know anyone at all whos into this music :p
anyway i was always into punk rock but im getting into metal again...bands like children of bodom, at the gates, death, in flames...

My parents thought I might be gay a few years back...

I like Dark Tranquillity, Amon Amarth, mid to late 90s In Flames, mid 90s Edge of Sanity, Moontower, Demonoid, some Beyond the Embrace, some The Haunted