Which DT song harmonies do you get butterflies for?

metal17

May 21, 2002
North Bethesda, Maryland
I actually get butterflies when both Nicklas and Martin do the sweet Iron Maiden like harmony in "The Poison Well" after the part " a thought to infect you, an idea to perfect you...we're going to restrain you, no heart to forgive you" and then the melody comes in about 2:54 and then both guitarist do it again at 3:11....ummm yummy! Anyhow which songs make you get the butterflies?

P.S. I also like the in-your-face heaviness of the riffs and the pinch harmonics even more... yummy!

Many of the keyboard melodies or...the stuff that comes out of the keyboard...is really tingling stuff, like the intro of Haven, the intro of Fabric and a few other parts I guess.
As for guitars, the first that spring to mind are the monstrous headbang riff in At Loss For Words (all over the song), Ego Drama around 3:30 (the keyboard too), the intro riff in The Dividing Line because it's so overtly melodic, FreeCard from 3:26 on (death rides these nerves, so intense), To A Bitter Halt, Through Ebony Archways (the whole songs).
Vocally a lot of things. For example the mere sound of Mikael's voice on The Gallery (the rasp or whatever you call it is a whole lot more prominent than on, say, Damage Done). The end of Hedon, too, is absolutely magnificent, the 2nd we look at you afraid ... line, that is.
Day To End sounds funny.

Now if only someone explained the concept of a harmony to me (reading the thread subjects properly would be a start too). In fact, just telling me how far off from the idea of the thread I am would be quite jolly.

Oh, there's so many that I don't even know where to start.

The first one that comes to mind is the short riff in "The sun fired blanks" in the chorus area of the song (don't have the CD here so I cannot give you the precise time, but I'm sure you get the idea), then the heavy riff before the verses in "Tidal tantrum".

The main theme in "Shadow Duet" is also awesome but the mixing kills the emotion a little bit, I think - subsequent albums are heavier on the bass and it's always something that makes me more involved in a song.

More or less all the songs from "Haven" make me lightheaded, but if I had to point out specific harmonies it would be the keyboards in the chorus of "The same". I think that you start to get the picture - I'm a total sucker for anything in minor key.

On "Damage done", the pre-verse riff in "The treason wall" is very inspiring in an emotional way, and the clean guitars on "The enemy" also do the trick (I suspect that it might be the vocals more than the actual guitars, though). Most other songs on the album, although extremely good, appeal to me more on a cerebral level. The same happens for, say, "Feast of Burden" or other songs that are closer to traditional metal: very good tunes, but they don't have me all moved.

i think LETHE is the most "emotionnally charged" song... the guitar/bass intro is wonderful and mikael voice has so much power in the last part «drag me down in passionate sights/ with the ocean above and flames in my eyes/ grant me a life i can live/ take me away»... one of the most intense song ever