Which guitar riffs (Bodom) drove you nuts?

<Arcane>

Jan 21, 2007
Germany
www.youtube.com
Today I've touched my guitar again for over a few weeks, tried to play some Bodom and realized, that I can't play nearly half of the stuff anymore.

That makes me think of old riffs I really struggled with.

So here's my personal list of the most complicated Bodom riffs:

1. The Chokehold riff. It's fast and I remeber that I needed days to handle my wrist-movement to make it sound clean. Tried to play it today - no chance. After 30 minutes I gave up.

2. The riff before the LDB key-solo. I still can't play that lick perfectly.

3. The Downfall Intro riff. I remeber that it took me over ten years to play it without any annoying string-noises.

4. The AYDY Intro-riff. It's pretty easy but it still took me hours to play it really clean.

5. The SK Intro. For me the hardest string-jump-riff ever. I don't have any problems with the distance between the strings, but I really struggled to play the low E four times before the high e. In 9/10, I only hit the low E string three times.

6. BBT. The timing and the speed of that fucking 1-second ultra-fast part in the Intro riff at 26 seconds. For some reason I find the bridge part relatively easy.

7. The bridge in BD. That rhythm is really complicated.

8. The Intro of Damaged Beyond Repair.

9. The Intro of All Twisted. Took me hours to play it clean.

10. The riff in LoBodomy starting from 0:23

11. The verse riff of Horns.

12. The Intro Riff and the bridge in NMF. Especially the intro was really hard for me but now, it's one of my all-time favourites.

13. PMS - nearly the complete song. A nightmare to play.

14. The part in This Road at 1:20. Really hard to play clean.

15. UGAC - The part at 1:45. One of the worst Bodom songs ever but really technical.

16. The verse riff and the neo-classical riff in Hexed.

There was a time I could play every song of HB and FTR (today I can only play the classics - ETID, Hate me and Downfall) but the Dowfall Intro riff is the only one which really gave me problems.

Last edited:
Lol All Twisted is actually one of the songs that motivated me to buy a guitar last year. No fuckin clue how to play that intro riff so glad to hear it's a common struggle.

Reactions: Sany
I guess well all have very different strengths when it comes to guitar. For my part, All Twisted was really instinctive, however I can't for play the main riff of the song Children of Bodom. Or Follow The Reaper. I find it that the old stuff was a lot more difficult for me than the newer one.
Also, the riff in Under Grass And Clover at 1:41 is just phenomenal. I dislike the song, but boy do I love this riff. Took me a while to transcribe, but playing it feels so good.

Kick in the spleen main riff has been killing my patience for months now, still cant come close to playing it cleanly. its a bitch.

Downfall Intro: I could NOT play this clean for a long time. Something in the picking pattern made it impossible for me. Tried starting on an upstroke instead, and suddenly I had the riff down.

Chokehold Riff: The picking is tricky, tough to make it sound like straight 1/16th notes instead of sounding “jumpy” when going between strings.

BBT Pre-solo: I still can’t play it. It’s the two upstrokes on the A and D string I can’t get. So quick going back and forth between the palm mutes in the low string.

YBOD Intro: I play based off what I “hear”. The riff sounds like mush when played fast, I can’t get it down cleanly.

Hexed Main Riff: Absolutely love this song, but the main riff is fast with the downpicking throughout. Second solo is fun to play.

Most riffs :D
To this day after 15 years of mostly death/black metal guitar playing, Bodom always take some little extra brain to learn, to nail. Even when listening for a while and thinking "it'll be easy", "it's not that fast" etc. I tend to get challenged. It is also why it's been key to getting better at guitar in my case, almost every riff you learn something new. Bodom is without hesitation the most influential band in my autodidact guitar progression.

Now to some driving-nuts riffs, you pointed out many of them. The BBT bridge pre solo, downfall (I mean, to nail it!), Chokehold chords riff to name a few. It's been a while but I used to play a majority of songs from SW, HB, FTR and HCDR, plus selected songs from newer albums. Solos usually excluded :yuk:

The one band that drove me nuts for real is Spawn of Possession. Technical, fast, odd structures with MANY riffs. I spent a few months without touching my guitar due to failure playing SoP songs a few years ago !