Which is the best Saxon album of the last decade and why?

Solid ball of rock because of Requiem, Ain´t gonna take it, I´m on fire etc., all great songs, and also because it musically wise was a very creative effort, marking (compared to the second half of the 80´s) a more focused Saxon.

Solid ball of rock is a good shout. But for me it has to be Unleash the beast. I think that it was this album that really got things going again for Saxon. Not surprising really seeing as it is such a great album. I was totally blown away by it!

Pax.

To me it´s Metalhead because it showed that Saxon can be damn heavy when they want to. Several friends could not believe their ears as I played that album. Two of them have bought all albums from Solid and on after hearing those songs. And they would never ever be interested in Wheels of Steel or Strong arm...

I forgot to mention that the sound and production on Metalhead is the best I've heard on a Saxon album. Unfortunately Killing Ground is only almost that good.
I think they should have used Charly Bauerfeind as a producer on Killing...

It has to be Unleash the Beast for me as well.
At the time there was a lot of apathy around even from people who were really into metal saying that there was not a lot going on and all of a sudden Saxon release this corker of an album.
I seem to recall several of the magazines having a bit of heart at that time and not coming up with the same old whinning crap about saxon being Dinosaurs etc etc etc...
Metalhead is there though and so is Killing Ground they have strong points amongst them, but it is the more balls to the wall grit that i like about Unleash....

Apart from Eagle part 2, I'd have to say Unleash the Beast.
After losing Graham Oliver it could have been a difficult album to make, as Graham was bloody great. But Saxon delivered the goods in Style with this one. A real classic that really seamed to give Saxon a real shove back in the public eye in the UK.

I would have to say Metalhead-- every song is great and it is a dark, kick ass CD, but Killing ground is a close second. Metalhead would be perfect if it had the same quality production Killing Ground has. Killing Ground is just so wonderful to listen to and it never gets old. A live album emphasizing KG, Metalhead, Unleash would be tremendous.

Not to familair with Solid or Destiny, I Know with out a doubt that there good, but as far as the last decade.. lost track of them but found them
again and the album that I rediscovered them on was "DOGS OF WAR"

Definitely Unleash the Beast. Songs like Unleash The Beast, Circle Of Light, Bloodletter, All Hell Breaking Loose and Cut Out The Disease (I love this tune!) are some of the best Saxon songs to date. Metalhead is a very good disc, too.

-Mark

I'v just bought and am currently listening to the new "Heavy Metal Thunder" album......
It fuckin rocks hard, making great tracks sound even better by upping the production quality to the level of "Metalhead".
Now i know its a best of, but is there a better compilation out there?

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :hotjump: :hotjump: :hotjump: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

My vote would have to go to Solid Ball. I still haven't heard Dogs of War (other than the live tracks on Eagle 2) or Metalhead. Killing Ground and Unleashed were ok. Looking forward to HMT!

THE BEST:

:headbang: STRONG ARM OF THE LAW :headbang:

It's simple, great lyrics and good song made this album great and I won't forget it!

Quick background: I'm a yank who first Saxon on MTV with "Just Let Me Rock" from Crusader. I went out and bought the cassette and wore it out in my Walkman (mowing the lawn, etc...)

I bought Power and the Glory and Eagle Has Landed but I didn't get it back then. Saxon kinda fell by the wayside.

Now, in 2002, I'm 33 years old and trying hard to find real rock again. I've recently gone crazy over Saxon and Motorhead... can't get enough of either band, and I'm filling in my collection as I type this. Killing Ground got the ball rolling for me. I knew I was hooked.

My vote, though: Eagle Has Landed Part 2 simply because it sounds so damn good.

I love Killing Ground, Unleash The Beast, and even Solid Ball of Rock.

Love the band. I hope they come back to the states soon...