Which mBox should I get?

I also have another question. I am about to order my macbook pro. the standard 15" comes with a 320gb 5400rpm hard disk...could this become a problem in case I am getting the 2626 and want to record drums...?

Get an external 7200rpm fw drive, fucking internal 5400 rpm drives suck and pro tools gets really pissy when you try to run large sessions on the system drive (plus they plain don't recommend it).

but dude. how should I use a fw drive and a fw interface parallel :(. I am pretty sure the Macbook pro has only one firewire input.

didn´t know that worked.

based on the fact that I can´t sell my macbook without horrendous money loss I am probably gonna keep it anyway. I have to consider that I own a Q6600 Windows Desktop PC with 4gb ram, fast hard disk and everything you need for proper recording( right?). So what I am probably gonna do instead is get the m-audio 2626 with m-powered pro tools, an m-audio axiome keyboard plus beyerdynamic DT880 pro headphones and a fucking firewire to usb cable to go from the interface to the macbook. yeah and there are still 500€ left to spend. I´ve always wanted one of those
philips-32pfl7404h-12.1857679.jpg
. Any better ideas to spend the money

well, I don´t have the money to built a room with perfect acoustics. so why should I get monitors?

UP

hi dudes. sry for being a noob all along but. I was wondering if I could plug my profire 2626 into a hardisc with a firewire cable and go to my mac with a usb cable. Is that possible or would both have to be firewire?

UP

hi dudes. sry for being a noob all along but. I was wondering if I could plug my profire 2626 into a hardisc with a firewire cable and go to my mac with a usb cable. Is that possible or would both have to be firewire?

They both need to be Firewire.

well, I don´t have the money to built a room with perfect acoustics. so why should I get monitors?

:Smug: Because good speakers + bad room is better than bad speakers + bad room?

but how is it better than a pair of 300$ beyerdynamic headphones? that are also portable.

so no one can tell me why? instead I get a stupid comment by this headcrusher person...

The close proximity of headphone transducers to the ears affects how the audio spectrum is perceived. Headphones also tend to be brighter than loudspeakers, because the air attenuates high frequencies from speakers before they reach the ears. Headphones direct all sounds straight to the eardrums, bypassing the acoustic shaping that occurs when sound interacts with the listener's head. Many headphones are now "diffuse-field" equalized so that they sound flat from within the ear canal - although that equalization is based on an average head shape and may not be a good match with every listener.

Monitors play in a real acoustic space. Headphones sound artificial because each audio channel is isolated to one ear. Sound waves from monitors interact with each other (interchannel crosstalk), with wall reflections and with the listener's head before they reach the ears. The resulting soundfield is a complex amalgam of phase-shifted amplitudes, which may amplify, cancel and/or delay select frequencies. It is impossible to determine through standard headphones how the phase and amplitude variations in one audio channel will affect another when played back over monitors. Consequently, an otherwise smooth headphone mix can have a decidedly rough quality when heard through monitors/stereo systems.

Good enough reason for ya? There's the science behind it

so no one can tell me why? instead I get a stupid comment by this headcrusher person...
In all honesty I think you kinda deserved it, sorry.
You came here obviously without having done a lot of research expecting all your questions answered. I mean come on, you are trying to become an Audio engineer and you've never asked yourself why they even bother to put up those big speakers in the pro studios? That's just ridiculous. :lol:

have you ever tried using the search function for a more or less specific issues? try typing "mbox" and check the results. that´s why I made this thread I couldn´t find decent information. I am sure probably anything has been discussed in this forum before and I´ve read much more than I´ve posted. apart from that - you don´t HAVE to post in this thread.

I promise that this will be the last post in this thread buuut:

I am still a bit skeptical about the interface. basicly I´ve heard no one say anything negative about the 2626. I find that a little strange tbh. Is there really no other negative aspect about it? Has anyone used it longer than a few months? I mean even the craftmansship seems pretty good. So what I am basically trying to decide right now is whether to get Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 or the m-audio. what I like about the focusrite is that it has separate midi in and out without an extra cable plus a decent power plug and the front led´s for monitoring the channels status. and I´ve read that it has a very outstandingly good sound.
Pros on the m-audio are more in and outputs. doubled adat in and outputs, its standalone feature, better preamps(everyone think so??) and that it works with pro tools m-powered.

which one did you/would you decide on and why?

prices are very close. focusrite has a 30€ on the m-audio.

I don't know if the saffire pro can do this or not, but one HUGE feature you left out:

The profire 2626's mixer is DSP based. In other words, you can monitor 18 inputs (digital or analog) in EXTREMELY low latency because it doesn't rely on your computer. It's also much better than the simple mix knob on units like the firepod. With the DSP mixer it's possible to run a totally different monitoring mix that what's being recorded.

That alone is HUGE with this unit.