Which Meshuggah album should I buy?

I found Chaosphere catchy as hell, but it was my 3rd Meshuggah album. For starters, I think Catch-33 is good.

Oops i meant to say clean guitar, really have no idea why i typed keyboard, maybe something else on my mind.

I dunno, are alot of the songs similar in construction to bleed? cuz inded i do find it boring, even ifi do play close attention to the picking patterns, they are still just open note picking. No melody or anything.
hmm... maybe this is not the band for me.

They may not be for you. But honestly you should just be downloading an album to find out rather than listening to us.

I'm also trying to pick a Meshuggah album to start with atm and am wandering, is there any specific album where the growls are somewhat less aggressive. The only reason I don't listen to Edge of Sanity and Gojira more is because I'm not as into that really aggressive vocal style where they're really just yelling most of the time. The other instruments on all three bands are awesome though of course.

lol people on this forum always assume that trolls are just judgmental combative pricks who don't really know anything about music but pretend they know everything. I actually do know everything about music, including the fact that meshuggah whips ass

there's no possible way anyone could think catch 33 is a good album.

its literally 60 minutes of that.

Want to write a meshuggah song?
1) Take your 7 string
2) Play some tripplets
3) Burn it to the cd
4) Scratch the cd with a cheese grader
5) ...
6) Profit

Conversely, check this out

Now why is that good? because fuckin Morgan Argen is playing drums. Don't buy a meshuggah album. Buy a Mats & Morgan album. I recommend Thank you for flying with us. Or get Planet X or Blotted Science.

Last edited by a moderator:
there's no possible way anyone could think catch 33 is a good album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXoLLiGSKQ8

its literally 60 minutes of that.

No, it's not "literally 60 minutes" of that. Check your definition of the word "literally."

The first 5 minutes of the album are like that. You know... the 5 minutes in that video, where beyond that the theme resurfaces merely a couple more times in different ways. Clearly you've never actually heard it or you would know this.

But regardless, it usually is the first 5 minutes of Catch33 that turn people off from the album (and the band in general). Their loss. It's some of the best modern metal you'll hear as far as I'm concerned.

Modern medal? wtf does that mean.
If you want to hear music that has the same type of grooves but uses more than the low B string, check out The Ocean (my personal favorite) but any of the Post Metal Isis knock off bands will do.

and planet x was the shit when Tony MacAlpine was in it (for like that one day).