Which mic to go along with a 57 for miking a cab?

Yep that's the thread that convinced me I need a Royer haha...

:D Wait till you get one and really have a chance to play with it. You can do a lot better than those clips once you get used to the mic and figure out where it likes to be. :kickass:

Fuck I just listened to the all Royer clip again and I'm having a very hard time not spending $1500 right now :lol:

I've been cranking Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli a lot lately and the guitar tone on there as the same incredible smoothness that you got with the Royer, I LOVE that sound!

Fuck I just listened to the all Royer clip again and I'm having a very hard time not spending $1500 right now :lol:

I've been cranking Dimmu Borgir - In Sorte Diaboli a lot lately and the guitar tone on there as the same incredible smoothness that you got with the Royer, I LOVE that sound!

Yeah I like how easy it is to tame harshness with it. I really like mixing it with the 57. Get the huge body from the royer and then just bring up a 57 to add some grind on top if you want. The royer EQs better than anything I've ever used also. You can boost the hell out frequencies without it getting fake and shitty soudning.

:saint:

if the r121 is bit steep, then look at a Fat Head or Trion 7000. I prefer a ribbon like the 121 to a 421, so the closest for you is the FH ot T7000.

It's been said many times already, but I love the 421 with a 57. I also was playing around with a D6 halfway between the edge and the dust cap along with a 57, and it sounded pretty cool!

The Cascade Fathead is probably the best bargin ribbon mic you can get for all around use... Great blend on guitars with a 57 and works great as a mono room mic or stereo in pairs... Used them for rooms on drums for The Empire Shall Fall album I'm tracking and they are the main room sound for the latest The Dear Hunter album that was tracked at the studio and will be released in June... This album will turn heads for years to come...

I use a t bone rb 100 ribbon mic a fair bit, its a royer clone. Could do a hell of a lot worse for 80 euro. It is muddy but its warm as hell sounding- It's great to use in combination with a 57 which I find to be a bit harsh, if you get a really birght clear tone with the 57 and then fill out the low end and warmth with the Rb 100 its nice. Saw one of those fathead's go for 40 euro recently- I was totally strapped for cash and couldn't spring for it- sickened, I love ribbon mics