Which of the 'classic' bands is producing the best music today?

SoundMaster

Jan 20, 2002
"the flower & willow world"
Visit site
Sure, we all know and love classic records such as "Stained Class", "Number of the Beast", "Peace Sells", "Ace of Spades", "Holy Diver" and "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath". But many of the great bands we grew up with still exist today and continue to produce new music.

Of all of the 'classic' bands (let's agree on any band who's debut was released in 1985 or earlier), which is creating the most vital music today?

Is it Priest? I'd say no way. "Angel" is a borefest and the two Ripper-era records stunk regardless of who sang on them.

Dio? Sure, his last two are welcome returns to form, BUT they are NOT up to par with Holy Diver or Last In Line.

Sabbath? Hardly. With Ozzy being the prick he is (or is it Sharon?), they've not released a new album in a decade.

Megadeth and/or Metallica? Next.

Deep Purple? No. As much as folks tend to dislike Blackmore, the band sorely misses him. Bananas was putrid.

King Diamond? He's been consistent, but, IMO, he's missed the boat more often than not in recent years (although his last album is genius).

Rush? I'm new to Rush, but I must say, their last two albums are friggin' GREAT records.

But, with that said, I'd have to vote for Iron Maiden. The two 'reunion era' records are without blemish, IMO (well, except for sound/production on DOD). The reformation saved the band. As good as the X Factor was, Virtual XI wasn't. And the early 90s Bruce-Maiden records SUCKED.
Dance of Death is, IMO, on par with their classics from the mid-80s.

As consistency Motorhead of course, the weakest album in the last 10 years may be "Hammered" and that one kick ass so... :D

Deep Purple "Bananas" is maybe their best album since "The House Of Blue Light", so they show how capable they are of dealing great music.

Alice Cooper last three albums are excellent material, and I am so owed by "The Eyes Of Alice Cooper" which is pure vintage Alice done in our time, that I'm very eager to get the new one next week.

And "Dance Of Death" is so baaaaaaaaaad (IMO of course) that I stopped caring about Maiden.

Good thread, Soundmaster. And a tough one, too. In my opinion the number of classic bands that are still putting great material out is small, at best! I'll agree with you on Maiden. Though I thought Virtual XI was great and did enjoy XFactor. But who else??? Here's a couple that get my vote:

Metallica - sorry - I even liked St. Anger. I like the growth..even though they're not as metal, they are still very hard rock...my opinion...

I think Motley Crue has done ok...New Tattoo is pretty good to my ears

Motorhead continue to bash it up with the best of 'em.

and I disagree with you on JUDAS PRIEST! I think all their stuff has been consistantly good except for Ram It Down...the only JP release I can't get all the way through...even 1/2!

Wyvern said:
Alice Cooper last three albums are excellent material, and I am so owed by "The Eyes Of Alice Cooper" which is pure vintage Alice done in our time, that I'm very eager to get the new one next week.

IMO Dirty Diamonds is absolutely awful! and I love Alice Cooper :erk:

SoundMaster said:
Sure, we all know and love classic records such as "Stained Class", "Number of the Beast", "Peace Sells", "Ace of Spades", "Holy Diver" and "Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath". But many of the great bands we grew up with still exist today and continue to produce new music.

Of all of the 'classic' bands (let's agree on any band who's debut was released in 1985 or earlier), which is creating the most vital music today?

Is it Priest? I'd say no way. "Angel" is a borefest and the two Ripper-era records stunk regardless of who sang on them.

Dio? Sure, his last two are welcome returns to form, BUT they are NOT up to par with Holy Diver or Last In Line.

Sabbath? Hardly. With Ozzy being the prick he is (or is it Sharon?), they've not released a new album in a decade.

Megadeth and/or Metallica? Next.

Deep Purple? No. As much as folks tend to dislike Blackmore, the band sorely misses him. Bananas was putrid.

King Diamond? He's been consistent, but, IMO, he's missed the boat more often than not in recent years (although his last album is genius).

Rush? I'm new to Rush, but I must say, their last two albums are friggin' GREAT records.

But, with that said, I'd have to vote for Iron Maiden. The two 'reunion era' records are without blemish, IMO (well, except for sound/production on DOD). The reformation saved the band. As good as the X Factor was, Virtual XI wasn't. And the early 90s Bruce-Maiden records SUCKED.
Dance of Death is, IMO, on par with their classics from the mid-80s.

Listen to the new Iommi album.. after all he's pretty much Sabbath anyways... I never got into Rush except for the song Spirit of Radio... King Diamond always bored me.. his vocals at least.. im not into operatic vocals hence why i dislike Nightwish and bought their album on a whim... DP i havent heard their new album... but everyone has peaked my interest in them... I would have to say Priest.. they are back in form.... out of the ones you named... Motorhead was always great though...

id have to say Motorhead, i heard some stuff of "Inferno", and there is some great stuff on there. Motorheads music hasnt gotten worse over time at all i dont think.

Good thread, but a hard one. I think almost none of the 'big' names are producing good stuff lately. Only Mötorhead does a good job for me...But there are other older bands that keep on making good albums, bands like Jag Panzer, Overkill, Kreator, Slayer, .... As for Maiden, I think the Bruce D solo albums are 10 times better than what Maiden does nowdays.

BOC still puts out some pretty decent stuff. Heaven Forbid was the last I picked up and it was solid. I think they released another in '01 or so. Not *real* current but not bad.

Yeah, Ok, I just looked up Heaven Forbid and that was back in '98. WTF? I somehow lost track of seven years. It's a blur.

I prolly ought to check out some newer Alice Cooper since he's one of my all-time favorites.

Honestly, I'm too busy with newer bands to pay a ton of attention to the classic bands. Sacrilege, I know, but I don't want to allow myself to get in the rut I got into in the '90s where I was just listening to the same old stuff because there wasn't much that was new and improved.

I'm the only one in the universe who thinks so, but I think that Brave New World was a stellar re-interpretation of the Maiden sound. The Thin Line Between Love and Hate, Blood Brothers, Fallen Angel.....these songs are fantastic, and though not in the old-school Maiden form, per se, they still have enough of that going for them to retain their identity.

A lot of people don't like the new stuff much, I know, but if they released Somewhere In Time now, instead of back then, people wouldn't like that either....they'd just say it wasn't enough like Number of the Beast. Incidentally, a lot of people said that back then, but in time everyone seems to refer to that album as a classic. Point is, I think that time will prove my point, and some day the "kids" will be digging up Brave New World and referring to it as a real fine piece of work.

Dance of Death is not as good, but still good enough.

Is it Priest? Angel is a great record, aside from that Loch Ness monster thing at the end ... no need to comment on those two ripper records, they just sucked

Dio? a consistent performer and a guy from home, so i've always liked him

Sabbath? i think we'd need a new record to tell

Metallica? has been posers sucking at the teet of VH-1 ... no thanks

Megadeth? I've always preferred Dave's vocals to James Hetfield, and they have been pretty solid all along

Deep Purple? dont like them now, didn't like them years ago. Give it up and check into a nursing home already you guys

King Diamond? the King rocks, always has....

Rush? they're like radio rock, eh? they don't count :p

Maiden? the Blaze records SUCKED out loud.... the ones since Bruce has been back are horrible .... a monster band in the 80's ..... they still have it in them, just not hearing it any more.

If you could erase the Ripper records, i'd go with Priest .... they have never put out a bad one with Rob Halford .... Megadeth, King Diamond, Overkill, Motorhead, Static-X, etc.. have all put out good music consistently, but I'd still go with Judas Priest

That's my opinion ... flame away!! :hotjump:

No question......OVERKILL!!!!!!!!! In the last 20 years and 14 studio albums, they've only released three albums that aren't great, yet are still quite far from bad. That's pretty fucking good. There's a damn good reason why i consider them one of my top 3 bands of all time.

Motorhead have also been quite consistant as of late. "Inferno" is their best aalbum in years. My favorite album of last year.

By the way, the three Overkill albums i only consider good, not great are I Hear Black, From the Underground and Below and ReliXIV.

Brave New World was good, but I also thought Dance of Death was awful, and I consider it blasphemy to compare anything Maiden's done in the last 10 years to their 80's releases.

I think the last Megadeth album was the best release in recent years by any of the above mentioned bands.

except for the song Ace Of Spades, Motorhead bores the living shit out of me. Never got it.....

Wicked Child said:
No question......OVERKILL!!!!!!!!! In the last 20 years and 14 studio albums, they've only released three albums that aren't great, yet are still quite far from bad. That's pretty fucking good. There's a damn good reason why i consider them one of my top 3 bands of all time.

Motorhead have also been quite consistant as of late. "Inferno" is their best aalbum in years. My favorite album of last year.

By the way, the three Overkill albums i only consider good, not great are I Hear Black, From the Underground and Below and ReliXIV.
:OMG: :OMG: ReliXIV is fan-fucking-tastic in my book...I can't get enough of that album! :headbang:

HEATHEN without doubt! I'm constantly listening to the demos of "Dying Season" and "Arrows of Agony" off their forthcoming album -- seriously some of the best stuff they've done. SO much better than new Destruction, new Kreator, new Exodus, new [insert old thrash band that's made a "comeback" record here]... VERY MUCH looking forward to it. It could conceivably top the old two albums, which I both love!