Which pickup(s) do you use for recording bass?

Ericlingus

Prettiest Hair Around
Oct 31, 2006
Hey. I was wondering if you guys use both pickups or just the bridge pickup when you record the bass for metal. What about for a more gothic type band a la Type O Negative. Speaking of which. Anyone also have any info on Peter Steele's bass sound? Thanks.

I never stick to one, it's one of those things that changes from band/player/song/bass/strings etc. usually I will end up with a bit of each in the mix. you get the subs and the warmth from the neck pickup but the punch and definition from the bridge, just find a healthy balance that works in context of the situation.

OH and a helpful tip: Once you find that magical combination, tape the knobs so they don't move around mid tracking. I need to write this down on my desk because i always forget... and the tone slowly changes....

I recently bought a Spector Rebop with passive EMGs and a preamp system called the tone pump and I use both pickups. This thing is incredible, it has no mid control and the eqs are only boost so it's either eq knobs on zero being no boost and eq on 10 being +18 db for bass and treble. I actually boost at 500 hz when mixing with this bass and it doesn't sound boxy, just more clear in the mix.

I've got an Ltd B-305 bass that came with passive EMG-HZ pickups and an EQ system, I replaced that with EMG 40DCs and removed the EQ system and ran the EMGs through a single volume...

Its a very specific tone but I like it...

As previously mentioned, you should never stick to one when recording other people or different styles...

And as for Peter Steele, good luck finding some information, I'd be interested to see what you come up with... He loved his FX though...