Do you use a noise suppressor pedal (eg Boss NS-2) in your guitar recording chain?

Grå Värld

Sep 12, 2012
Was wondering how many use a noise suppressor pedal when tracking guitars? People report tone loss with them and the band i am recording are a converge type lots of feedback in their songs so I am not sure whether to put it in the chain or not

Thanks for any opinions.

Sure, why not, there is tone loss but nothing serious. But if it's a converge type band than i'd keep the gate bypassed more times than active, guitar feedback is a part of this genre in my book

I find this pedal useful for liveshows but not for recordings.
Record 1 track without the pedal and 1 with the pedal, and compare them.

I've used an NS-2 in between my interface and guitar before with fine results. I hear a lot of negative talk about these pedals destroying tone, but I honestly can't hear the difference with it on or off. Just make sure it's set up right so your notes decay naturally.

Colin Richardson uses a NS2 in front of the amp, good enough for him...

I do this live all the time. People who say it's a tone-sucker are probably setting it up wrong. I dunno; I've used mine for years and love it. If the battery starts to die, then yes, you will hear a degrade in tonal quality. I demand someone to post a clip of a chord or riff and switching on and off the NS-2 so people can try to hear the difference. :)

If I have a guitar that sounds awesome but is noisy (I have a PRS SE One with a noise-but-mean sounding soapbar), then I'll throw one between the guitar and amp, post-DI. If I can get away with not using one, I prefer that.

Of course. If you're playing high gain without a noise suppressor you're doing it wrong.

oh-really-ooo-o-o-ho-ho-ho-you-ahead-then-monkeys-silly-dogs-1376436972.jpg

I've never used an NS or gate while tracking. I'm not above it but I'll edit normal amp noise during rests and try to get at handling noise at the source. I suppose a single or noisy hb might benefit but I've never had the need.

I do this live all the time. People who say it's a tone-sucker are probably setting it up wrong. I dunno; I've used mine for years and love it. If the battery starts to die, then yes, you will hear a degrade in tonal quality. I demand someone to post a clip of a chord or riff and switching on and off the NS-2 so people can try to hear the difference. :)

The NS-2 definitely changes the top end a tiny bit by just being in the chain; tends to make things a touch brighter IME.

I will admit that I wish the NS2 opened up a bit faster (ISP is better in that aspect) but other than that I've no complaints with it being in my chain, helps the guitar tracks to be a bit cleaner before hitting the DAW.

I think we all edit noise by hand. But there is more to a noise suppressor than just simple gate is there not? Although I generally just use a noise suppressor/reduction in the box if needed. I find the podfarm one reminds me of when I had an ns2, similar feel and result. I don't have it but I imagine izotope rx 3 is pretty amazing for dealing with noise.

i use the decimator when recording really high gain obnoxious tones because editing is such a PIA when you have loud squealing feedback at every pause. but generally if it isnt too bad i try to leave it out.