Whiskey, Bourbon, Scotch

Elijah Craig 12 and Buffalo Trace are my go-to sipping bourbons. I'm trying to get more into bourbon since scotch is often too expensive. The best scotch I've had was Balvennie Doublewood. I'm also really starting to get into rye whiskey. I have a bottle of Templeton Rye that is just fantastic.

I'm taking notes on scotch. Going to have to try some of these.

Does anyone else use stones to sip whiskey? I prefer them over ice, but I don't like watered-down whiskey. I have friends who actually prefer using ice because they enjoy the gradual dis-intensifying of the alcohol as they drink.

I used stones for a while but never found they did anything. A dash of water usually opens up the whisk(e)y a bit more.

I never found stones to open the whiskey up flavorfully. I use them to cool it a bit; straight out of the freezer and into the glass, pour the whiskey over them and it's almost instantly cool (not cold, just cool). I've heard that a dash of water can enhance the taste, so I'll have to give it a try.

My favorite bourbons must be Bulleit (Rye) and Wild Turkey 101 for the cheaper option. I tried Knob Creek and wasn't much of a fan, but everyone raves about it. Scotch is more my style though. I can't emphasize enough how good Balvenie Doublewood is for an all around drinkable and flavorful whisky. More of an oaky/nutty flavor. ~$50 for 750ml (12 years). If you want a strong peaty/smokey option Ardbeg 10 year is great, but its a little more expensive. Has more of an oily texture to it. And then Glenfiddich 12 is good if you want a really mellow/slightly fruity/floral taste. But again, try the Balvenie if you need a starting point.

Unfortunately ever since I got sick drinking on this past 4th of July I haven't had the urge to touch anything harder than a Warsteiner...

I never found stones to open the whiskey up flavorfully. I use them to cool it a bit; straight out of the freezer and into the glass, pour the whiskey over them and it's almost instantly cool (not cold, just cool). I've heard that a dash of water can enhance the taste, so I'll have to give it a try.

No I know the purpose of the stones is to cool the whiskey down, but they never significantly or noticeably cooled the drink down in my opinion. A lot of mixologist types prefer to use giant ice cubes which both cools the drink down and slowly adds water (versus regular ice which can dilute it too much)

yeah I liked Bulleit also. Dont they have a 10 yr too? would like to try that.

Bought a bottle of Eagle Rare lastnight and im totally opening it tonight.
Today has been hell. Been moving all my shit from my house to my parents. Who knows how many hundreds of lbs I've carried. So bourbon will be great.

Thanks to a privileged childhood from my dad I had access to a lot of scotch. I tend towards the sweeter ones, Auchentoshan, Macallan, and Aberlour (all 12) being my preferred.

It's ok. Spend that money on good bourbon. Or spend a little more and get better scotch

Yea, im thinking about just saying fuck it and going with another bottle of Eagle Rare, but i really prefer Scotch over Bourbon. I'd take a cheap bottle of Glenlivet or Glenfiddich over most high priced bourbons. I just love the smokey, peatiness of my single malts.

Only time i usually end up buying Bourbon over Scotch is when my pockets are real light.

I've been on a Jameson kick lately.

Fuck Jack Daniels. That shit is the Natty Light of Whiskey

To be honest, I don't like Jameson much better; but I do agree, at least about regular Jack. My wife did buy me a bottle of 12-year Jameson one time that was pretty damn good though.

What are people's opinions on the comparison between Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare? I bought a bottle of Eagle Rare only once because I didn't think it was any better than Buffalo Trace. Perhaps my tastes simply need refinement.