White Cluster Solo

TrevJ

May 2, 2001
Ottawa
Is it just me, or is everything about this solo - the buildup to it, the backing riff, everything! - just fudgin' amazing? The second the solo starts is one of the best Opeth moments if you ask me, and that harmonized part, and that whammy bar dive... OH BABY!

While I'm rambling for no apparent reason about awesome Opeth solos, how about The Leper Affinity solo? Whoa nelly! Perfection! I wonder how long it takes them to write these...
Does anyone know who plays these solos? (Probably not, but meh.)

And while I'm babbling about awesome Opeth moments, does anyone else agree that the little transition in the Moor that leads into the first "real" riff of the song (the one with all the growls) is just sexcellent? (Yes, sexcellent.)

Well, as you may have guessed, I'm really bored, and I really like Opeth. I'll shut up now :)

Originally posted by TrevJ
While I'm rambling for no apparent reason about awesome Opeth solos, how about The Leper Affinity solo? Whoa nelly! Perfection! I wonder how long it takes them to write these...

yea man, that solo is just beyond cool. It's subtlely cool in a very twisted way and I think that's why so many people overlook it in favour of the more flashy/commercial stuff (ie Serenity Painted Death). I actually think this song is by far the coolest and underrated on the album, probably cuz it's the most demented/progressive and most people are still too enamoured with Harvest to notice, but I think in a few months or years those people will take note of it when the more accessible songs start to sound boring. There's a reason why mike put it as the first tune on the album, I think probably cuz it's the most representational of what Opeth is right now and it's probably the tune he was most proud of, but who knows? It's totally cool though (to me at least as a total prog freak) and I'm still quite shocked that no one seems to give much value to the song. In fact, you are the first person I'm aware of to say anything good about it, other than myself I mean. Do you also like The Amen Corner a whole lot? If so, maybe we were separated at birth, hahaha.

Satori

When I first bought MAYH, the Amen Corner was one of my least favourite tracks (if not my least favourite). But as I listened to the album in it's entirety over and over I realized how cool that song is, in a weird way. The riffs are all very... unusual for lack of a better word (the 3rd or 4rth riff, with the double bass drumming is AWESOME), and the first acoustic break is nothing short of excellent. There's just something about that acoustic part that connects with me, and I always space out whenever I hear it :)

I also really like the double bass riff near the end, before the "something circles upon the waters" or whatever he says bit. It's very odd when compared to most other bands, but then again, so is most of Opeth. And that's what I like about them: their uniqueness.

Phew, I could rant about Opeth all day, everyday :)

I agree on that one.. I go through stages of overly liking one song, usually skipping ahead to that one, then playing the album out, and restarting it. The Amen Corner did that for me for a while, and having just put MAYH in for the first time in a few weeks (I have a friend visiting who's not into metal, so I'm sparing her, a little), I was really glad to hear how much I still like this song. The solos nearer the end always caught my attention, epecially the 2nd one - nothing like some of the solos they/he write(s), but their context alongside the vocals and other riffs is perfect....

I love Leper Affinity (though the dynamics of the Drapery Falls make that track my fave on BWP). When I saw Opeth at the Key Club in LA on May 18th they didn't play Leper, but I got there REALLY early and heard them noodling around on the bouncy duel guitar riff. It was funny. They were all on stage in the dark, as the lighting hadn't been set up fully, and I could just see these shadows on stage and Mike was going "ok a little faster now, and they just jammed and noodled on that riff for a good 3 or four minutes. A lot of fun to hear.

hey hey,

cool, glad to hear others like the more twisted side of opeth represented by leper and the amen corner. When I met mike after the good toronto gig I told him that leper was pure genius. He smiled thankfully and agreed. The song has some mighty twisted lyrics too, sick and demented, what a state of mind to experience, very cool.

The amen corner also gets my vote for most depressing opeth song, it just keeps droning on and makes me feel like I am descending into super dispair, and then the clean part near the end is so horribly fucking sweet and the contrast is so stark and abrupt that it's like opening a parachute after jumping out of a plane, the bitter-sweet beauty just smacks you in the face so hard. I also find the lyrics to this tune quite painful and beautiful, particularly, "The celestial touch from grey to black" that is so fucking cool, it gives such a good mental picture of his 'grey' death/love-lost dispair and how it turns into the "pure hate" blackness of demon of the fall. I think you have to understand and experience the pit of black dispair/hate in the amen corner to really appreciated how completely and ultimately pissed off and hurt he is in demon of the fall. MAYH is my favourite album of all time, the whole thing is pure magic. I dunno what mike was on when he conceived this whole thing but if I did I would get a few pounds and send it to him! heheh. I also think it's fucking brilliant how story starts in spring (mike was born in April) "Wandering through April's fire..." and ends in a bitter winter "Cold season drift over the land..". The way he uses the flow and cycle of nature in the lyrics is beyond cool, very 'spiritual' or in touch or however you want to look at it, it speaks to the mind and the heart undivided. Also brilliant is the way the album is a circle that infinitely repeats itself, making the ghost trapped in a permanent limbo of pain/dispair/hate.

Great stuff. Mikael is a GOD. Amen (corner).

Satori, super freakin'