Who are the metal bands who have use the flute?

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
Specify if they used it as a regular instrument or as trimming.

And REAL FLUTES, not 'flute by Korg'...

Regular usage:
Bethzaida
The Provenance

Trimming:
Cathedral... and my god that song is the most soul wrenching thing EVER.

if you wanna count prog rock, jethro tull does exstensivly

my band has been thinkin about doin it. i play a flute. we were thinkin about doin it instrumental. or as i call it, instruMETAL. har har har
~gR~

Shadow Gallery uses flute a fair bit. Their bassist, Carl Cadden-James, is an okay flautist.

I am actually glad I read this thread, because now I have a pretty comprehensive list of bands to avoid like the plague!!!

A flute??? In metal???? Good grief.

And, save your breath about whether or not I am too close-minded or whatnot. I will tell you straight out, when it comes to metal I am EXTREMELY close-minded. Metal should be crude, cruel, abrasive and violent. Such things as keyboards, flutes, clean singing, acoustic guitars, etc... certainly don't fit that description, so, when added, accomplish absolutely nothing but softening the "message", which totally defeats the point of metal in the first place.

Gory Elephant said:
And, save your breath about whether or not I am too close-minded or whatnot. I will tell you straight out, when it comes to metal I am EXTREMELY close-minded. Metal should be crude, cruel, abrasive and violent. Such things as keyboards, flutes, clean singing, acoustic guitars, etc... certainly don't fit that description, so, when added, accomplish absolutely nothing but softening the "message", which totally defeats the point of metal in the first place.

Are you 13 years old, or are you just intentionally ignoring any metal band that existed before Venom?

Jim LotFP said:
Are you 13 years old, or are you just intentionally ignoring any metal band that existed before Venom?

I am 33 years old, and have absolutely NO idea what you are talking about.

Gory Elephant said:
I am actually glad I read this thread, because now I have a pretty comprehensive list of bands to avoid like the plague!!!

Actually, let me seriously answer this.

Keyboards-

Gory Elephant said:
Metal should be crude, cruel, abrasive and violent.

Why? Who put that idea into your head?

Gory Elephant said:
Such things as keyboards, flutes, clean singing, acoustic guitars, etc... certainly don't fit that description

Keyboards- Nocturnus. Argument over there.

Flutes- Cathedral's Reaching Happiness, Touching Pain. Off of their first album. Please listen to it and tell me what's not metal with this song and how the same effect could have been achieved without the flute.

Clean Singing- Rob Halford, Ozzy Osbourne, Bruce Dickinson, and Ronnie James Dio... none of them have been on good metal albums?

Acoustic guitars- I'll grant you that the very definition of metal requires distorted guitar but damn to ban the idea of turning off the juice once in awhile, I guess I'm just dumbfounded.

Metal should be crude, cruel, abrasive and violent. Such things as keyboards, flutes, clean singing, acoustic guitars, etc... certainly don't fit that description, so, when added, accomplish absolutely nothing but softening the "message", which totally defeats the point of metal in the first place.

Metal is an attitude more than anything ... the sickest fuck out there Mr. Count Grishnack or whatever his fucking name is from Burzum ... used some instruments you mention. It did not seem to "soften" his message or his lifestyle.

Hey, it is your opinion you are entitled to it. But to me it is just another instrument.

Getting back to the original topic.

NEGURA BUNGET ... on the new release
and
MAUDLIN OF THE WELL ... they use it quite effectively.

Why? Who put that idea into your head?

Heh! I told you I was close-minded! This is just my opinion. :)

Flutes- Cathedral's Reaching Happiness, Touching Pain. Off of their first album. Please listen to it and tell me what's not metal with this song and how the same effect could have been achieved without the flute.

Never heard the song, so I can't comment on it. See, though, this is my point. The only "effect" that kind of sound has is that it detracts from what I consider the "essence" of metal to be.

Clean Singing- Rob Halford, Ozzy Osbourne, Bruce Dickinson, and Ronnie James Dio... none of them have been on good metal albums?

OK, you got me there. But, that is "classic" metal. Of course I am a huge Sabbath fan (never got into priest or maiden all that much). Nowadays? I don't enjoy the sound when "modern" bands play it.

Acoustic guitars- I'll grant you that the very definition of metal requires distorted guitar but damn to ban the idea of turning off the juice once in awhile, I guess I'm just dumbfounded.

If I want the juice turned off once in a while, I break out my pink floyd cd's!!

Now, as for the Burzum comment. I certainly do believe it softened his message. There you are, grinding away through one of his songs, drowning in its harsh and nasty noise, and all of a sudden, this high pitched keyboard comes in!! It completely ruins it for me. There is an entire keyboard song on Det Som Engang Var (I think), that when it comes on, almost completely ruins the entire CD for me. It just comes on, and the CD comes to a shrieking halt. Not good.

Anyway, these are all just my opinions of course!!!