Return of "The Ball"

Psychonaut

God Of Emptiness
Nov 29, 2002
Second left after Wal-Mart
Visit site
Tonight for the first time in seven years MTV2 showed The Headbangers Ball. I watched it and although it was only the debut, I'm still a bit disappointed. Metallica were decent enough hosts but it seemes like they have lost touch with the scene a bit. The most upsetting thing was the massive inclusion of mall metal like Staind, Godsmack, Mudvayne, Disturbed, and the like. They play those videos on regular MTV. Also, who the fuck are The Datsuns and why were they on there?
I think to make the show successful like it was, they need a regular host who is a REAL metalhead and knows about some of the more obscure bands. Someone needs to call MTV and let them know that there is also a metal scene in other countries. I'm glad as hell to see it back but for it to really be The Ball again, it has to be turned up a notch or three. Did anyone else watch it and feel the same way?

I watched it too, just hoping maybe it would be like the old days. But it was just a bunch of nu metal crap. The only cool video I saw was Suicidal Tendencies" You Can't Bring Me Down". They need a fucking Extreme Metal video show that caters to Death/black/doom/Grindcore/ and that type of metal. Like that will ever happen.

Psychonaut said:
Tonight for the first time in seven years MTV2 showed The Headbangers Ball. I watched it and although it was only the debut, I'm still a bit disappointed. Metallica were decent enough hosts but it seemes like they have lost touch with the scene a bit. The most upsetting thing was the massive inclusion of mall metal like Staind, Godsmack, Mudvayne, Disturbed, and the like. They play those videos on regular MTV. Also, who the fuck are The Datsuns and why were they on there?
I think to make the show successful like it was, they need a regular host who is a REAL metalhead and knows about some of the more obscure bands. Someone needs to call MTV and let them know that there is also a metal scene in other countries. I'm glad as hell to see it back but for it to really be The Ball again, it has to be turned up a notch or three. Did anyone else watch it and feel the same way?

I agree with you. It's all the contemporary stuff. Nothing that you wouldn't see on "regular" MTV2 or MMUSA. I didn't see this being an opportunity for new or old METAL bands to get their stuff played on there. I mean let's say if Anthrax shot a new video would it played on there on a regular basis? I doubt it. It's very disturbing isn't it?! I hope they get a regular host. I wish they would have kept the "old" intro to the show with the S.O.D. tunes. I think this will tank & then there will be no chance of this show getting back on. It's like it was just thrown together.

Stoner Sioux said:
I watched it too, just hoping maybe it would be like the old days. But it was just a bunch of nu metal crap. The only cool video I saw was Suicidal Tendencies" You Can't Bring Me Down". They need a fucking Extreme Metal video show that caters to Death/black/doom/Grindcore/ and that type of metal. Like that will ever happen.

Death/black/doom/Grindcore?! I don't know if you have ever watched the Extreme Rock show they have on MTV2, they play some of that on there. Probably no chance of them playing that on HBB....

But you gotta remember, the OLD Headbangers Ball wasn't THAT much better. Sure they played Napalm Death, Anthrax, Slayer, etc. but they also played TONS of hair metal. And Nu-Metal, as we all know, is Hair Metal's bastard demon spawn.

yeah, on extreme rock they play some cool shit. hate eternal, kataklysm, slayer, mercyfull fate, arch enemy, shadows fall.....
~gR~

plfffffft said:
But you gotta remember, the OLD Headbangers Ball wasn't THAT much better. Sure they played Napalm Death, Anthrax, Slayer, etc. but they also played TONS of hair metal. And Nu-Metal, as we all know, is Hair Metal's bastard demon spawn.
Jesus man, that's harsh isn't it? Hair Metal Bastard Demon Spawn?!
You mean Pretty Boy Floyd "Spawned" Staind?!
Poison "Spawned" Blink 182?!
Yeah, the old HBB wasn't all that either, but it was better than what this week's "retread" was/is....:loco:

Hey, it's better than most TV out there anyway. There were a couple of nice videos, but really, MTV really needs to be shown a map and to get some music from other places, primarily Scandinavia.

Stoner Rock Chick said:
I'll take the hair metal any day over this nu-metal stuff.
*pass me the hair spray*
I would as well. At least the Hair Metal ot GLAM (Gay L.A Metal) guys can attempt somewhat of a solo. I remember Dimebag commenting on one of the fags from Korn , he said "why does the guy use a 7 string guitar when he can't even play a 6 string!"

The original Headbanger's Ball was almost pure garbage. I don't know which I'd rather see, hair metal or nu metal, but both are pretty low on my list. Extreme Rock is an ok show, especially since I love metalcore and emocore so much (which they show almost 75% of the time). If you like bands like Underoath, Norma Jean, Poison the Well, and that ilk, you should like Extreme Rock. They also play older metal stuff sometimes like Celtic Frost or even sludgecore like Neurosis, but sadly they also play tough guy hardcore like Sworn Enemy and Hatebreed way too much. I'm just glad that they don't play any nu metal on there. But if I ever see a KISS, Iron Maiden, or Judas Priest video I change the channel and then pump on something good to cleanse my ears of the complete and utter horror.

I'm not surpirsed the new Headbanger's Ball sucks. The old one sucked too; there'd be like three or four metal videos, and the rest was horrid California cock rock. IMO, nu-metal, although I don't like it, is far better than bands like Motely Crue (possibly the worst band ever), Warrant, LA Guns, etc. that they used to play on the old Headbanger's Ball. So the new HBB, though I've never seen it, may be better than the old one; I hate LA cock rock almost as much as rap.

Yay1 MuDvAyNe! MuDvAyNe vids are cool.

When I was last in NJ, I quite enjoyed the Music Choice metal channel. Twas audio only of course, but they had some stuff like Kataklysm, Amon Amarth, Soilwork, Napalm Death.....

No such thing as a good metal video channel.

\m/ said:
"why does the guy use a 7 string guitar when he can't even play a 6 string!"

why does dimebag use a 6 string guitar when he can't even play a 1 string?

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif