Who are the metal bands who have use the flute?

Gory Elephant said:
I am actually glad I read this thread, because now I have a pretty comprehensive list of bands to avoid like the plague!!!

A flute??? In metal???? Good grief.

acoustic guitars, etc...

You will grow up one day...... perhaps. I can live with most rants and ignore them with ease if I don't agree but I can't keep myself from posting to this one. An acoustic guitar is the most expressive musical instrument in the world and that includes it's use in metal as well.

Bryant

Vim Fuego said:
So then Mr Elephant, you'd better avoid such wussy bands as Slayer, Nile, Bolt Thrower, Brutal Truth, Emperor, Morbid Angel... Get the idea?

No, I do not get the idea. WHat are you saying? Emporer, btw, IS a totally wussy band.

Oh, and Bryant, you are totally correct. The fact that I think accoustic guitars detract from the message that I believe metal should deliver TOTALLY just means I am immature and need to grow up. Heh, that is actually kind of funny!!

Well the Queen of night has a flute/acoustic intro which is pretty sweet!

Gory Elephant said:
No, I do not get the idea. WHat are you saying? Emporer, btw, IS a totally wussy band.

Oh, and Bryant, you are totally correct. The fact that I think accoustic guitars detract from the message that I believe metal should deliver TOTALLY just means I am immature and need to grow up. Heh, that is actually kind of funny!!

OK, I'll type slow so you can keep up... The point is, you're dismissing bands because they use instruments other than the basic distorted guitars, bass drums, growled vocals. That's fine. I was trying to show you that you're missing out on a lot of stuff by ignoring bands who use a bit of variation from time to time.

Cathedral and Amorphis have been mentioned. Some other flute-blowers:
Black Sabbath - Solitude, Looking For Today
Iced Earth - 1776
Psychotic Waltz - I Remember
Moonspell - somewhere on the "Under the Moonspell" album

Malleus said:
Add Emperor. Argument even more over.

Add Emperor to what? The list of over-rated bands whose over-exuberant and superfluous use of keyboards produces a sound that can only be described as "flowery" and "effeminate"?

OK, done!!!

Acoustic guitars- I'll grant you that the very definition of metal requires distorted guitar but damn to ban the idea of turning off the juice once in awhile, I guess I'm just dumbfounded.

Listen to The Jester Race. No more discussion.

Gory Elephant said:
Add Emperor to what? The list of over-rated bands whose over-exuberant and superfluous use of keyboards produces a sound that can only be described as "flowery" and "effeminate"?

No the list of bands who use keyboards to great effect and that many people with excellent musical taste enjoy. Keyboards are a wonderful instrument, when used correctly. I'll be the first to admit synths have fucked up a lot of potentially good music, but that doesn't mean keyboards is inherently a bad thing. It CAN be a great way to enhance atmosphere in music. Emperor without keyboards would be a totally different Emperor, I can't say for better or worse, but different.

Now, I don't say YOU have to like music with keyboards, but you don't need to come down on the great bands who do and the people who enjoy them like you do. You said you were 33, right? Act your fucking age.

You realise that a more melodic moment in a song can really highlight, and give the brutality that follows even more impact then a constant monotonous barrage of distortion.

If you want to get your "message" across it's good to stop the audience from falling asleep.