Who are todays generation of heavy metal guitar heroes?

I think with a player like Gibbons, we have all heard the solo's in some of his more popular songs, and tend to take them for granted. At the time those songs came out, it was truly groundbreaking. Then everyone copied it, and by the time I was old enough to listen to music, I had already heard everyone else's rendition of gibbons, therefore making gibbons less interesting to me. Now that I'm older, I appreciate the original players a whole lot more. Dimebag was the last person I though was trying to push the art form to a new level. I think metal is in a dry spell though. Too many shredders and not enough players who are trying to write a truly emotional and memorable solo. I guess I'm a little more old fashioned about playing, but Stevie Ray Vaughn could make three notes sound amazing, while *insert name here* can sweep, tap, and shred into oblivion and i can't remember a note of it. Having said that , the last metal guitar thing that made a memorable impression on me was the intro to "Timeless Winter".
I'm sure there are some great solos in metal I'm missing, but I don't have endless hours to wade through the muck to get to them. Any suggestions?

Forgot to list My guitars heroes:
Nuno Bettencourt
Prince
Mark Kendall
EVH
Ace Frehely(when he was actually playing)
Bob Kulick
Bruce Kulick
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Eric Clapton
Alex Sklonick
Slash
..there are a ton more but that's a good list for now. :)

See, my problem with a lot of these posts is that the thread title says "Today's Generation" of guitar heroes. I would assume that we'd be talking about the "new" guitar heroes. It's kinda sucky when someone asks about today's generation of guitar gods and you hear someone say "The Maiden guys."

As far as guitarists who rose to prominence after 2000 goes, the first name in my mind is Gus G. He's not on a level as the old time greats, but in my opinion, he has the best chances of getting there.

In extreme metal, Muhammed from Necrophagist is probably the front-runner.

See, my problem with a lot of these posts is that the thread title says "Today's Generation" of guitar heroes. I would assume that we'd be talking about the "new" guitar heroes. It's kinda sucky when someone asks about today's generation of guitar gods and you hear someone say "The Maiden guys."

This.

If you want someone who can shred, has incredibly creative and original ideas, fantastic tone, and is fairly new (as in within the past 10 years), look no further than Kurt Ballou.

Amott hasn't done anything interesting since leaving Carcass in the 90s.

I listen to more Spiritual Beggars than either Carcass or AE. Depending on how you define interesting, they may not qualify since they are purposely working within a blueprint established by previous bands, but doing a hell of a job of it. I love the emphasis on the separation (distinction) of riff and melody, and the value of groove in that band.

I personally believe Billy is the most underrated player ever. He was tapping before anyone knew who Eddie Van Halen was. Brian May admits to "knicking a bit off Billy." Hendrix was even quoted on live television as saying Billy was America's best guitarist.
Snipped...

Thanks. I'll poke around YouTube tonight.

Zod

I've always thought that Billy Gibbons was more well respected in guitar circles for his guitar tones than his playing. That's not to say he's not a good player but when I think of him I think of stuff like the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups.

Did Ace actually ever play on an album?

You know you hear so many stories over the years, you don't know what to believe!

I actually got to meet Bob and Bruce kulick at a Kiss convention here in Atlanta back in '99, and if I remember correctly he stated that a majority of his work with Kiss began around the Alive II era. I may be wrong about that though. I know Ace played on the first Kiss albums, Hotter Than Hell being my fave. I know it was him on the Creatures album and not Ace at all. Everybody knows about Ace's drinking problems back in the day and that had a lot to do with having Bob play in his stead. When Ace's is sober though, I think he's stellar and very entertaining.:headbang:

I actually got to meet Bob and Bruce kulick at a Kiss convention here in Atlanta back in '99, and if I remember correctly he stated that a majority of his work with Kiss began around the Alive II era. I may be wrong about that though. I know Ace played on the first Kiss albums, Hotter Than Hell being my fave. I know it was him on the Creatures album and not Ace at all. Everybody knows about Ace's drinking problems back in the day and that had a lot to do with having Bob play in his stead. When Ace's is sober though, I think he's stellar and very entertaining.:headbang:

Actually it was Vinnie Vincent who played on and wrote most of the songs on Creatures. Bob Kulick played on the "new" studio tracks on Alive II with the exception of Rocket Ride which was written and sung by Ace. He also played on the Killers compilation on the 4 new tracks.

Look no further!
Thanks for posting that. However, I have to admit, I still don't hear it. Perhaps it's a matter of context. Maybe when he first started doing what he does, it was new and bad ass, but by today's standards it's not? I've always thought the ZZ Top boys were kind of cool and was completely prepared to enjoy the music. But if I'm being honest, if I heard someone play that solo in a local tavern, I'd leave thinking he wasn't very good. I guess I just don't get it.

Zod

Today's Generation for me includes:
Gus G (Firewind)
Jorn Viggo Lofstad (Pagan's Mind)
Kiko Loureiro (Angra)
Michael Amott (Arch Enemy)
Stephan Forte (Adagio)
Tom MacLean (To-Mera)
Peter Wichers (Soilwork)
Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom)
Johan Reinholdz (Andromeda/Skyfire)

I personally believe Billy is the most underrated player ever. He was tapping before anyone knew who Eddie Van Halen was. Brian May admits to "knicking a bit off Billy." Hendrix was even quoted on live television as saying Billy was America's best guitarist.

He is a monster blues-rock guitarist in terms of technique & style. He has influenced players for going on 40 years now. However, regardless of what you think of his playing, his signature tone is unparalled. He is one of the few guitarists that I can recognize almost instantly.

In terms of known songs, have you really listened to the solos in "Sharp Dressed Man?" Guitar World ranks it #43 on the all-time list. I'd vote "LaGrange" as another one of the "hits" where he amazes.

Some of my faves cuts for his guitar are "Jesus Just Left Chicago" & "Beer Drinkers & Hellraisers" (check out the hammer-ons).

I found this discussion which will help:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archive/index.php/t-1607006.html

I do, and will always love The Reverend as a player, and as a tone monster.
Nasty Dogs & Funky Kings is probably my favorite ZZ Top tune. There first few albums contain some of the finest Texas Blues Rock ever heard, IMO. That stuff is to me, so much better than the MTV era of ZZ. I like a lot of the newer stuff, but when I think old ZZ, I think ZZ Top's First Album, Rio Grande Mud, Fandango, etc etc.