Who do you think are the best prog metal bands today?

soul choir

Porc.TreeS.EvenRivers.fan
Sep 9, 2006
Lisbon
Who do you think are the best prog metal bands today?
Is the future of prog a melt between styles like metal, art rock, alternative music?

Symphony X, Dream Theater, Opeth, some other stuff.

Possibly Liquid Tension Experiment and Spock's Beard also.

are we talkin traditional prog metal? or bands that have just been really progressive in their styles?

id say the discussion begins and ends with symphony x. however enslaved has really been progressive in black metal, but i wouldnt call em prog band
~gR~

Montu Sekhmet said:
Symphony X, Dream Theater, Opeth, some other stuff.

Possibly Liquid Tension Experiment and Spock's Beard also.

You could add early COB to that list.

Porcupine Tree's a name we should hear of more, no matter how highly dipped in art-rockness it may be.

Enslaved will be releasing more and more 'Progressive'ness affected black metal in the coming days.

ivry91 said:
You could add early COB to that list.
Erm... really?

I'd have to go with Symphony X if you're talking about the traditional meaning of "Prog Metal".

I'd vote a band like Mechanical Poet if you're talking about the actual metal genre progressing itself. I'd almost want to throw a band in like Unexpect but I heard stuff like that years ago with bands like Thought Industry and Mr. Bungle (still cool though). Mechanical Poet I can't really compare to anyone, and it's damn unique.

metal_wrath said:
Opeth.
-
-
-
-
-
-

-
Enslaved.

close thread. kthnx

theres no need to do that. especially since i said the discussion begins and ends with symphony x hehehehe
~gR~

Scourge of Malice said:
ISIS, Neurosis, Enslaved...

I fail to see how Dream Theater and those bands are doing anything "progressive" these days... might have been pushing the limits 10+ years ago, but not today.
Yes, yes, yes and yes.

Add SunnO))) to your list.

Opeth and Amorphis is the only prog I can stomach(I think). great bands

Other than that simple music for me.

probably

then again majority of metal music is not 'prog' in terms of music. It's not really hard to play a guitar fast and dream theater's guitarist is about as impressive as a turd.

Metal listeners blow musicians out of perportion and the term 'prog' most of the time is stupid.