Who have you met?

eighteeschick

Jul 12, 2005
Jersey Baby
I'm really just being nosey but I was wondering who everyone here has met - either at a meet and greet, bumped into on the sidewalk, whatever. Seems a lot of people here have met someone at some point.

My are going to be lame you guys, I'm sure, but that's ok - Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, The Rock (WWE Wreslter), D-Lo Brown (also a wrestler), and I got an autograph from Richie Cunningham (can't remember his real name though, isn't that horrible?) but I was too chicken back them to get it myself so my friend got it for me. I also got to see Princess Diana. Oh, and Steve Isaacs who used to be an MTV VJ.

I was really privileged to know Roald Dahl. For those who have no recollection he was the author of the great little book written in the 60s under the title of "Charlie and Chocolate Factory". And I guess not everyone knows that during WWII Dahl was one of the most fearless british fighter pilots. He passed away about 10 years ago, but I still friends with one his daughter, Tessa. The whole family is incredibly talented - Roald's wife and Tessa's mother Patricia Neal is the Oscar winner (I got my chance to hold that Oscar and say "Thank You" Jim Carey-style a couple of times).
I guess almost everybody who lives in New York or LA one way or another bumps into some kind of celebrity now and then...

once was within punching distance of the queen of england...i was a kid at the time and didnt know any better, so she went unpunched....met Living Colour at a gig in my hometown many many years ago...got stuff signed...pretty cool...i guess living in a shitty little town in england we dont get many people pass thru....oh yeah...once there was a time at a hockey game in Madison Square Gardens...I sat behind Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman about 2 rows behind them...they were all hooded and capped up so noone knew who it was

I met Willie Nelson when I was in kindergarten. His daughter was in my class so he came in and sang Christmas carols to us.
I also met the maid from the brady bunch (TV not the movie).
And then I've met Charlie, Scott, Frank, John, Rob, and Joey V a few times.

All of Anthrax but Neil. All of Six Feet Under, all of God Dethroned. The singer of Lamb of God, M.O.D., Killswitch Engaged , Living Colour. Motley Crew, Skin Lab, Ill Nino, Lemmy from Motor Head, Ripper from Priest, and i know there is more but cant remember.. A few actors as well but who cares.lol

i've met (musically) charlie, danzig, henry rollins, jerry only,joan jett, david lee roth,jason newsted and, rich ward and bonz from stuck mojo.
from movies.. bill mosley(chainsaw massacre 2/house of 1000 corpses/devils rejects)
sid haig (house of 1000 corpses/devils rejects)
bill johnson (chainsaw massacre 2)
(t.v.) jerry springer and oprah winfrey
sports jim mcmahon,ernie banks and mike tyson.

Blackie Lawless of W.A.S.P., Joey Belladonna, Angus Young, Brian Johnson, Chris Slade (when he was drumming for AC/DC), Doug Pinnick of King's X, Lemmy, Steve Morse, C.C. DeVille, Matt Johnson of The The, Indigo Girls, Melissa Etheridge, Ian Anderson, the whole band Scatterbrain (anyone remember them?), Dennis DeYoung, Todd Rundgren, Don Dokken, Dave Brockie (interviewed him as Oderus and lived to tell about it)...

... but the absolute nicest guy I ever have had the privilege of meeting was Chip Z'Nuff. Actually once called me on my cell phone to make sure I was coming out to a show they were playing in a suburb of Chicago. Enuff Z'Nuff were never a hair band... they just wanted to be the fucking Beatles.

Only one non-music person I can think of - John Salley came into the Blockbuster Video I was working at when he was a member of the Bulls championship team.

Sorry if it seems like I'm bragging (I'm not trying to), but I'm stepping away from music journalism in a month, and I've been thinking a lot about the people I've met and shows I've seen. I've been absolutely fucking lucky...

Buddy_Love_Bomb said:
All of Anthrax but Neil. All of Six Feet Under, all of God Dethroned. The singer of Lamb of God, M.O.D., Killswitch Engaged , Living Colour. Motley Crew, Skin Lab, Ill Nino, Lemmy from Motor Head, Ripper from Priest, and i know there is more but cant remember.. A few actors as well but who cares.lol

I got you beat.. All of Anthrax Joey Vera, John Bush Neil Turbin. everyone execpt Paul Crook.....

... but the absolute nicest guy I ever have had the privilege of meeting was Chip Z'Nuff. Actually once called me on my cell phone to make sure I was coming out to a show they were playing in a suburb of Chicago. Enuff Z'Nuff were never a hair band... they just wanted to be the fucking Beatles.
I met him at the Kiss reunion show. not a fan of the band but, he was a nice guy. as long as were talking bout Chicago, my old band played with Local H and the Smashing Pumpkins back in the day at Freefest on Cricket Hill down by the lake(Wilson and LSD i believe). i also met James Young from Styx who was a cool dude and, Veruca Salt used to rehearse in the same building as us so we'd talk to them from time to time. :headbang:

Joey Belladonna, Charlie, Billy Milano, Gary and Dan from Pro-Pain, Danny and John from Nuclear Assualt, Lemmy, Jason Newsted, Mike Muir, and deicide

jdelpi said:
I met the singer of Nerve Damage. I gave him a dollar to wash my windows.
Yeah, I know that fucking faggot* too.

*not that there's anything wrong with that:oops:

dailyvault said:
but I'm stepping away from music journalism in a month, and I've been thinking a lot about the people I've met and shows I've seen. I've been absolutely fucking lucky...
Why are you 'stepping away from music journalism'??

met pantera and also dime on a seperate occasion at a guitar convention in sydney,got my guitar signed by dimebag,if anthrax do get back to australia i will make sure i meet them this time,always something going on whenever they have instores lol.

I've met Frankie and Paul Crook, briefly said hello to Scott and John when i was about 14 years old. I met Bobby Hambel (sp?) ex-Biohazard, he was a very cool guy signed loads of stuff for me and my buddies. The samenight as we were walking to the Garage in Glasgow to see Bio play we also saw Evan (or is it Spyder) and Danny out jogging.
Other than that i have met all of Downset, Ice T, Dimebag and Rex, Pepper Kennan, Roger waters, Van Morrison (my cousin played drums for him and C Dion) and Lemmy.

ThraxDude said:
Why are you 'stepping away from music journalism'??

I've been doing it for 20 years, and my life has been changing (for the good) with new responsibilities at work and having three kids (including twin 3-year-olds) at home. It's gotten to the point that I don't have time to listen to discs for review purposes anymore - when I do have the time to listen to something, it's purely for enjoyment. (Been watching Dream Theater's "5 Years In A Lifetime" for fun - this disc kicks!)

The review site I founded will still be operational - the person I selected as editor two years ago will take over full responsibility - and I'm staying as a "contributing writer", meaning I'll write something when the muse moves me. (I've purposely never advertised the URL here on the boards, 'cause that's not what I was here for - PM me if you want the site info, and I'll even steer you towards the 'Thrax reviews I've written.)

And, in the off chance Wu reads this post - tell Charlie the next time you guys are in Chicago, I still need to buy him a beer.

yeah i was lucky enough to work in the metal industry for a couple of years too..... met all sorts, i find the bands that have been around forever *tend* to be the nicest people to meet, the bands that started up a year or two ago are full of pretenious idiots who think they have to act a certain way, ie there havent learnt to ignore muso industry bullshit yet..........

off the top of my head.........

john, scott, charlie, frankie and rob; andreas and derek from seps; marty friedman, billy graziedei ( um bad spell); chuck billy; in flames; lou koller; jerry cantrell; raging speedhorn; alice cooper; billy milano; tenacious d; devin townsend; lemmy and wurzel; taproot; opeth; withering surface; gary numan; brandon boyd;

stacks of others, but the above are the ones i remember easiest and at least like the vast majority of.........