Who here has a good neck?

corndog

New Metal Member
Dec 4, 2005
It's time for some guitar shopping. The main thing I'm shooting for is a very comfertable smooth neck with really low action. I mean like super low, not to always stay in that position, but just to know it can go about as low is it ever needs to without buzzing horribly. Pretty much I'm shopping for comfort. Now my price range varies from 600-1000, which isn't much to deal with but I'd like to make the best out of it. I used to play strictly metal until recently I've been getting into new things such as Blues and even some classical peices, and looking for the right comfertable neck to help ease my progressing. I'm trying to stay away from Gibson Les Pauls if possible. I didn't like the necks to much, the pickups sounded somewhat fuzzy and classic rockish, and I don't find it comfertable sitting down, it seems to dip backwards. I'm really after a strat body guitar. I find them most comfertable.

My main choice so far is maybe a USA Deluxe Fender Strat, but they may be out of my price range. Also I'm still sceptical on how it would sound for jamming some random metal songs with my buddies. I know Iron Maiden gets great tone out of theres and also Mikeal from Opeth, but the thought of having to tune to C standard to jam some In Flames riffs on a Fender Strat kind of bugs me. Pretty much I'm just looking for some Fender stories and possibly even some clips of them in any style of music. Also any other recommendations are welcome, and stories of comfertable necks you have tried in the past. Hope to hear from you guys. :wave:

Mikael plays a PRS most of the time now.

My Jackson SL has one of the best necks i've ever played, and it's straight. no bows or bends, and that really helps with intonation. my best advice to you is play everything until you find the sweet one, and buy that. be mindful to get the exact one you played, because no two guitars are made identically.

my bc rich has a very comfortable neck. it has a nice smooth glossy black paint job. but it has a bolt on neck with the comfort heel thingy that they put on the nj series. i love it. they guitar isnt neck heavy at all and suprisingly comfortable with the fifty pointy ends and all.

How low of an action would you like? Carvin guitars can get a really low action setting. They used to guarantee their guitars to go down to 1/16 of an inch action at the 24th fret without buzzing out, though I only see that on one of their guitars, nowadays. They're also within your price range, and come with a money back guarantee so, if you don't like the guitar you ordered, you can send it back within 10 days, no questions asked.

I looked into the custom Carvins, I even built one with all the spec upgrades I would like. The price wasn't bad at all, but I heard it takes around 9 weeks to build plus 2-4 weeks to ship. Currently I have no guitar due to my Schecter being out of commission. So I need a guitar quick. I will defiantly look into the Carvins in the future though for sure.

For me, it was worth the wait for them to build my guitars. You don't list where you're at - if you were in the southern California area, you can go to one of their factory showrooms.

the warmoth site's great, i'd love to build my own guitar, i choose all the stuff id love on there but can never get enough money... looks really high quality gear though. :hotjump:

I like the fact that Warmoth makes the Ultrawide neck (similar to a Classical guitar) for electrics and will do scalloping. :kickass: