who is the best sweep picker?

@DCB-See...no offense but the viewpoint you demonstrated there is kind of the problem with the whole thing. You're generalizing technical elements and looking past the musical effects (which can be, and often are, positive) they have.

EDIT: let me clarify...the technique has been almost demonized by certain circles because they only associate it with a very limited scope of what it can be used for. How often do you hear someone listening to Metallica say "downpicking again? so out of place, what a wanker", or listening to a death metal band and saying "ah shit....alternate picking? Grow up guys". People seem to be blaming the tool when they should be blaming the person using it...or criticizing the tool when they should be criticizing the final product.

razoredge- Are you getting at something with the Morse thing? I agree that he does a lot of awesome stuff...he's one of my favorites. I'm just not sure if you meant to make a connection or if you meant to go completely "off the beaten path" altogether.

Not a big fan of sweeping. It find it to be so overrated. Probably the hardest technique to get the hang of at first, but after that it's lather rinse and repeat.

I'm also amazed at people here calling Malmsteen the cleanest shredder or some shit like that. For fuck's sake, since when is Malmsteen recognized for his clean playing? In my opinion, MJR is cleaner than every guitarist mentioned here and sweeps better than most of them.

Oh, and it always makes me smile when I see comments like, "are you dumb? you forgot MAB is the fastest guitarist in the worldddddddddd"

Oh, some guys do it well, others never stop

Exactly. Since being an accurate sweeper is a hard thing to accomplish, guitarists tend to overuse it once they master it. After they spent tons of hours mastering the technique, many players want to have something to show for it and will stick it anywhere, regardless if it ruins the feeling of the solo or song. When sweeping fits, I think it's awesome - but in my mind it is completely unnecessary 99% of the time. The payoff for mastering such a difficult technique isn't there if you hardly ever use it, but a few guitarists are capable of restraining themselves.

@DCB-See...no offense but the viewpoint you demonstrated there is kind of the problem with the whole thing. You're generalizing technical elements and looking past the musical effects (which can be, and often are, positive) they have.

EDIT: let me clarify...the technique has been almost demonized by certain circles because they only associate it with a very limited scope of what it can be used for. How often do you hear someone listening to Metallica say "downpicking again? so out of place, what a wanker", or listening to a death metal band and saying "ah shit....alternate picking? Grow up guys". People seem to be blaming the tool when they should be blaming the person using it...or criticizing the tool when they should be criticizing the final product.

I understand what you're saying, but how many uses for sweep picking are there, really? Like I said above, when done right it sounds really nice - but usually it just comes off as pretentiously showoff. Things like downpicking and alternate picking have such a wide variety of uses, and don't even come close to the technical demands of sweep picking. Just my opinion.

How many uses? I'm not really sure how to answer that question. How many uses are there for alternate picking? downpicking? hybrid-picking? etc. I don't mean to poke fun at the question or even turn it around at you...I'm just not sure what kind of answer you want. I mean, there are at least as many uses for sweep picking/economy picking (whatever the popular name is these days) as there are for just about any other picking technique. Whether those other things have similar levels technical demands or not is highly debatable...and certainly for another thread, but again...I think the issue is that you are looking at the technique through a very narrow scope. Arpeggio-based things in the vein of the Smoke and Mirrors intro seem to be the only thing a lot of people associate the technique with.

I should also mention...I know some people don't use the terms "sweep picking" and "economy picking" interchangeably. I do, as I don't feel the semantic differences are enough to warrant different terms. That could be the disconnect here.

Well, for those that have my view on the thing (see my post right before yours)....quite often. Even if not, once you start getting into non-tertial stuff, you're getting into musical vocabulary that is rarely used, especially in rock/metal contexts. At that point, it wont even matter as much because I doubt anybody would still lump those sounds in with the more stock, arpeggio-based stuff.

If you really wanted to take it to an extreme, EVERYTHING could be analyzed as an arpeggio depending on how far you want to stretch it, regardless of right hand technique. Which brings up another point...if it's the arpeggio-based vocabulary that is redundant for people complaining about sweep picking, do they feel the same way when those kinds of things are played using hybrid picking, alternate picking, hammer-ons/pull-offs, tapping, etc,? How about if it's on another instrument entirely?

To answer your second paragraph:

Yes, it's the same on any instrument. Arpeggiated chords are arpeggiated chords. I think you're splitting hairs for the sake of giving some kind of academic pomp to sweeping when it's just another technique in a bag full of many.

You read into that wrong, so I'll rephrase:

The musical vocabulary that is most often associated with sweep picking isn't exclusive to sweep picking, or even guitar. The technique isn't to blame for lame ideas...if anything, it's lack of creativity in the person using it.

I'm well aware of what an arpeggio is. There's no hair splitting or academic pomp...quite the opposite, I'm simply trying to prevent an approach/technique (one that's just as valid as any other) from being defined and categorized in a way that severely limits the way people view and/or use it. I agree completely that it's another technique in a bag full of many and that's kind of the point I'm trying to make...some people seem to want it kept out of the bag, while I'm trying to point out that it's a perfectly valid and useful approach to be used alongside all the others.

razoredge- Are you getting at something with the Morse thing? I agree that he does a lot of awesome stuff...he's one of my favorites. I'm just not sure if you meant to make a connection or if you meant to go completely "off the beaten path" altogether.

"off the beaten path" pun intended

he is a great alternate picker though... with taste to boot... imagine that

I dont get that ? Im not crazy about its rampant use but totally understand whats being said here.

here's the thing dude, everyone knows it's "valid". The fact that you're defending it so readily speaks otherwise though..

Whatev.

Right...in real life I go around all the time preaching the wonders of sweep picking to the unenlightened I meet on the streets:rolleyes:

This is a thread about sweep picking, and I'm simply speaking to the topic at hand. My apologies for actually contributing:)

I go around all the time preaching the wonders of sweep picking to the unenlightened I meet on the streets

"Excuse me sir, have you heard about the wonders of sweep picking?"

Mmmm.

I have this friend/aquantence/fellow guitar player I have know for 18 years or so. I saw him yesterday and he sat and went through his entire routene which is all classical based but still quite broad with his little twists and turns. Hes working hard on arpegios in the midst of it. Quite an impressive player with sickening natural skill. One day I have to get a recording of him doing his thing, its really shocking and mind boggling. He just never had the dedication or ambition/desire to put it to work for himself. In that field of harmonic minor, arpegios, fast precise alternate picking, with some hamer ons I honestly feel hes as skilled as most of the best and no he is not a Yngwie clone, heavily inspired tonally but has his own thing going on. I dont even think he learned much of Yngwies stuff.

Two Words: Michael Angelo

Francesco Fareri(check him out)

MMM Do you guys dont know Michael Angelo?? The fastest man on earth

you guys best be trolling, these guys just sweep pick for the sake of sweep picking, they can't even phrase properly when NOT sweep picking lol.
just listen to frank gambale for musical use of economy picking (cleaner and more tasteful too, and harder since he just doesn't sweep arpeggios)

you guys best be trolling, these guys just sweep pick for the sake of sweep picking, they can't even phrase properly when NOT sweep picking lol.
just listen to frank gambale for musical use of economy picking (cleaner and more tasteful too, and harder since he just doesn't sweep arpeggios)

Gambale has to be the only one still impressing me with sweep picking. :headbang: