Who is 'top of the heap'?

Mark

Not blessed, or merciful
Apr 11, 2001
Sarf Lundin, Innit
Who is considered by most fans to be the biggest band in the power metal genre at the moment? Helloween? Iced Earth? Blind Guardian? Who??

(just curious;))

I have no idea who is the biggest, but my favorite is Iced Earth. I know a lot of people throw them into the whole "power metal" category but to me Iced Earth stands apart from the rest. The music is for the most part "heavier" and "darker", and the vocals aren't as high pitched. I suppose people call them power metal because maybe that's the closest genre they can come up with.

i would say iced earth cos they were the "founders" of power metal, or at least they certainly started at the time of other power metal bands.

and they have the most releases, and they are just kick ass band!

also check out Edguy!!!!

Originally posted by Thespawned
i would say iced earth cos they were the "founders" of power metal, or at least they certainly started at the time of other power metal bands.

Does the name 'Iron Maiden' ring any bell?

me personally, BLIND GAURDIAN.. and they aint no cheezy power metal.. they just rule all!.. Iced earth too..but i consider them just str8 speed metal..not really power

Maiden rulz too M8!!

At the moment i would say Blind Guardian for the more traditional power metal sound......and Iced Earth for the more speed/thrash type power metal sound.

Like Eddy said, it's probably Stratovarius and Sonata Arctica around here. Iron Maiden are perhaps even more popular, but people don't consider them power metal, just plain heavy metal, or nwobhm. It's like when you ask what's the best doom band, and no one answers Black Sabbath.

In New Zealand I think it's Nevermore but mainly because they are stocked at a near domestic price.

I consider Helloween to be the founders of the euro power tradition. Iron Maiden aren't power metal but the greatest trad metal band ever imo and have had a big influence on the power scene.

I see Blind Guardian as the big guns of power metal. But Virgin Steele and Backslash are my current faves.

NP: Dirty Deeds - Danger of Infection

www.geocities.com/thesurfing_alien/ - Music Reviews

I'm new here, Hi to evereybody :D

I don't know what band is the best, but anyone of you mention Gammaray. I think that gamma is a great power metal band. What do you think? Helloween is good too.

PD: Sorry if my English isn't good.