Who likes drum solos?

adaher

Apr 18, 2004
Coral Springs, FL
Generally I don't have much use for long solos during live shows, but the drum solo is a pet peeve of mine. I can enjoy one if it involves a lot of audience participation and its short, or if the drummer is so amazing that it keeps you interested. But generally it seems like a waste of set time, especially in an age where metal bands play only 90 minutes. Does anyone else like drum solos? Is there an audience for this stuff?

I was watching the Scorpions- Live at Wacken. The Scorpions always do solos during their shows, which seems kind of odd to me since while the Scorpions are one of the all time great bands, none of them are jaw-droppingly awesome players. The drum solo was 8 minutes and completely uninteresting. Then later on, Matthia Jabs does his thing and it's a little more exciting, but still pretty boring. Yngwie Malmsteen he ain't.

Klaus should say, "I'm 63 years old and need to take a break, so let's give a big hand to our eminently decent lead guitar player!"

It was funny-- I saw Air Supply on Friday night-- yes, Air Supply-- and they had a drum solo and a fairly young band of rockers.
The crowd (many in their 50's+) was clapping and screaming during it; I leaned over and told my wife-- "You know who likes drum solos? Non-metal fans...".

If the drummer can do a good drum solo, I'm all for it. For example, I can easily watch Johnny Mac do a drum solo. I'll watch Hellhammer do a drum solo. But the Jorn show? Boring solos.

TSO did a drum solo during the X-Mas tour...... Crowd absolutely ate it up, despite it being as average and mediocre a drum solo as there ever was.

Drum solo (unless it's Neal Peart) = :puke:

Not a big fan of them either unless the drummer has something really special/unique
to say and has the extreme chops to back it up. Otherwise, it's just a
noticeable time killer for me and a chance to relieve the bladder and refill.
Plus, it' pretty hard to sing along to a drum solo...yawn,yawn!

Drum are totally necessary. I mean, who doesn't need to go to the bathroom or to get a beer during a show? Smoke? Call the wife? Go for some fresh air? :lol:

Damn, Matt C. - you beat me. ;)

Actually, I like drum solos that manage to have a kind of melody or theme to them. The seemingly random poundings and crashings that many pass off as drum solos definitely send me out for a beer, pretzel, whatever. Johnny Mac gets it.

I don't know - I thought Mike Terrana did an awesome job with his solo. Prolly the best drum solo I've ever seen.

I agree though - for the most part they are pretty boring and could be used playing another song.

I generally don't care for drum solos either but the best one I saw was Mike Mangini when he was with Vai. Amazing chops and showmanship.

I'm usually against drum solos, even Neil Peart (I'm a Rush fan but the 8 min break at the last concert I saw of theirs got old quickly). I find them to be too scripted and just not enough impromptu fun.

But

The drum solo from Andromeda at PPIX during the equipment malfunction was enjoyable :)

Agreed on almost all counts. I don't mind them 2 minutes or less...a quality drummer should be able to get across his best chops within that timeframe. Otherwise...time for a restroom break and a refill.

The best drum solo I've ever seen was during a Fleetwood Mac concert. Mick came out from behind the kit with an electronic drum kit built into a vest - so he played drums while tapping all over his upper torso. He threw out some pretty good rythyms and also got to interact more directly with the crowd than someone sitting behind a wall of cymbals. So it was a lot of fun. But in general, blyech.

Ken

I started out in music as a drummer, so I do enjoy drum solos i actually feel ripped off if i do not get one at a show. but with that being said no drum solo should be longer than 2 minutes, to be honest it doesnt matter the instrument after 2 minutes i am already getting bored of it.