Who records everything at home?

yeah, i record at home

CubaseSX, Reason, Creamware PowerPulsar, alesis RA100 pwr amp and Event 20/20s for monitoring, mackie board for studio control, Shure KSM32 for vocals, various other mics for other stuff, Vetta combo for guitar work.

Ok, when micing guitar amplifiers, what kind of room characterisitics are important??? Also, I have a condenser mic, and I have a Shure Vocal/dynamic mic, which of these would be better off to record electric guitars??? Ive used the condenser up until now, but I have to move it far away from the amplifier, where as you should put something like a Shure SM57 next to one of your cones on the amp??? Can someone please elaborate??? Thanks.

very basic: guitar, amp, shure sm58, pc, cool edit pro 2.0, thats it. not the best sound, but actually it sounds pretty good if you do it right. at least, it doesnt sound much worse than a lot of demos i have heard so far
I'll hopefully get a new amp tomorrow wich has a line out with 4*12-cab-simulation. I'll have to try how that sounds if I buy the amp

Guitar plugged directly into the Line In slot on my computer. Sound editing in Soundforge XP or Cool Edit Pro 2. I make a lot of my original samples in Soundforge, but usually use CEP for processing my actual instruments.

"Beats", when I use them, come from the Hammerhead Rhythm Station drum machine emulator, which writes directly to WAV files, or (more often) I build them from scratch in SFXP by manipulating white noise.

Synth lines are written in Power Tab, which has been a very handy little app for that sort of work.

And that's about it. Cheap as chips, just the computer which I would have anyway, one guitar and one (good quality) lead.

My set up is really simple. Guitar or bass into a Pod 2.3 into a Behringer UB802 mixer into my crappy Soundblaster Live card. I use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 2 and Guitar Studio 2. Sometimes I use Fruity Loops to make up loops and shit. I also have a Boss DR-670 drum machine and a Boss SE-50 for effects. No decent mike yet.

got the new amp. I'll have to try that "special" line out some day
i forgot: I write drum-stuff in guitar pro4 an record that inte cool edit2.0, too. doesnt even sound THAT bad :)

My Band Records live in the garage using a JVC KD-10 Stereo Cassete Recorder Its Old School 80's but it sounds better than most demos ive heard tracked to CD!!! :headbang:

i run 2 mxl cardoid condensers through a behringer eurorack ub1202, which goes to either:

1) sony DAT machine
2)JVC cassette deck
3) computer

on my comp i have nuendo 2.0 and a m-audio delta 1010LT sound card.

all played back through a 200 watt power amp to TOA speakers.

and i still can never ever get my band recorded good haha

Recording device is a Boss BR-8 stand alone recorder. Only one mic currently; Studio Project C1 thru an audiobuddy micpre (no compressor yet, I use the built in comp on the BR-8 but will soon have an RNC). POD and Bass POD for guitars straight in, no amps. Drums are from the boss DR-770 drum machine. I hear it all thru M-Audio SP-5B powered mointors. I also have N-Tracks on my computer (M-Audio Delta Dio soundcard) that I play around with from time to time but most of my mixing is done on the BR-8.

Nuclear Vampire said:
My set up is really simple. Guitar or bass into a Pod 2.3 into a Behringer UB802 mixer into my crappy Soundblaster Live card. I use Cakewalk Guitar Tracks 2 and Guitar Studio 2. Sometimes I use Fruity Loops to make up loops and shit. I also have a Boss DR-670 drum machine and a Boss SE-50 for effects. No decent mike yet.
How necessary is ths mixer in this setup? I am about to get a pod, and I was thinking about just running it directly into my sound card. What would getting a mixer do?

Please feel free to answer, anyone.

I wanted a mixer to have more control over levels and sush before the signal gets to my soundcard. The drum machine needs a bit of a boost. I ran it straight in to the soundcard once and it's not very loud. I have my SE-50 looped into channels 5/6 on the mixer, so I can add effects to the drum machine. The SE-50 has a couple of nice reverbs and room settings.
I also use it when I digitize old jam tapes.
I only have these crappy Yamaha monitors, and when I jam along to my drum tracks, I can play my geetar through the Pod at the same time. To be honest, I've never run my Pod straight in.
It only costs $100.00 too, so you can't go wrong. :D

Nuclear Vampire said:
I wanted a mixer to have more control over levels and sush before the signal gets to my soundcard. The drum machine needs a bit of a boost. I ran it straight in to the soundcard once and it's not very loud. I have my SE-50 looped into channels 5/6 on the mixer, so I can add effects to the drum machine. The SE-50 has a couple of nice reverbs and room settings.
I also use it when I digitize old jam tapes.
I only have these crappy Yamaha monitors, and when I jam along to my drum tracks, I can play my geetar through the Pod at the same time. To be honest, I've never run my Pod straight in.
It only costs $100.00 too, so you can't go wrong. :D
This is really scatter brained, and I apologize, but I need some help.

How do you have everything set up? I'm going for a decent recording setup that I'll simply be able to record my guitar on my computer. Right now I have a shitty soundblaster card, but I will be upgrading that this summer. Do you do a send-receive method with the POD? I'm just a little confused about how I'd set everything up... here's what I'm planning on having:

Guitar (duh)
POD 2.0
Behringer D/I box
Behringer Mixer
Computer (shitty soundblaster)

Right now I'm only planning on using a guitar, but I'd like to get the behringer for future use, and in case I want to record vocals as well (Some behringers are only $30 on ebay). The POD manual and various other sources say that getting a DI box will help sound quality a lot, and since decent ones aren't very expensive, I'll probably get one. So... how would I set everything up? Does this seem reasonable for what I need?

I'm just really confused about the send-receive method with the POD... I'm not sure exactly how it would have to be set up, and I'm not sure exactly how it works. Do you lay down the track clean and then add the effects of the POD, or what? Anybody?