Who records everything at home?

i acnt spell said:
This is really scatter brained, and I apologize, but I need some help.

How do you have everything set up? I'm going for a decent recording setup that I'll simply be able to record my guitar on my computer. Right now I have a shitty soundblaster card, but I will be upgrading that this summer. Do you do a send-receive method with the POD? I'm just a little confused about how I'd set everything up... here's what I'm planning on having:

Guitar (duh)
POD 2.0
Behringer D/I box
Behringer Mixer
Computer (shitty soundblaster)

Right now I'm only planning on using a guitar, but I'd like to get the behringer for future use, and in case I want to record vocals as well (Some behringers are only $30 on ebay). The POD manual and various other sources say that getting a DI box will help sound quality a lot, and since decent ones aren't very expensive, I'll probably get one. So... how would I set everything up? Does this seem reasonable for what I need?

I'm just really confused about the send-receive method with the POD... I'm not sure exactly how it would have to be set up, and I'm not sure exactly how it works. Do you lay down the track clean and then add the effects of the POD, or what? Anybody?

Actually, I'm not sure how that send-receive thing works either. I have several effect/amp sim pre-sets I came up with and I play with those on. I think the send-receive thing is for midi? :confused: Try the Line 6 forum http://www.line6.com/Boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi I'm sure someone there could explain it.

All you do is plug the geetar into the Input on the Pod (bottom right corner). The Output on the Pod are left/right and are located on the top left corner. Left is mono. Plug the Output of the Pod into the Line-In on your soundcard. Make sure that the little switch on the Pod Output is set to DIRECT.
In your soundcard you will have to turn off the option called "What U Hear". It a stupid Soundbaster thing that will drive you nuts. I have a shitty soundblaster too, but it does the trick - until I can afford better.

My set up is like this:

Guitar->Pod->Mixer->Line In on soundcard

Simple as hell. Don't even really need the mixer, you could still record your geetar decently without it.

Don't know why you'd need a DI box, unless you were using the Pod as an amp simulator at a live gig. Then you would run the Pod into a DI box that would go right to the PA system.

Hope this helps.

Nuclear Vampire said:
Actually, I'm not sure how that send-receive thing works either. I have several effect/amp sim pre-sets I came up with and I play with those on. I think the send-receive thing is for midi? :confused: Try the Line 6 forum http://www.line6.com/Boards/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi I'm sure someone there could explain it.

All you do is plug the geetar into the Input on the Pod (bottom right corner). The Output on the Pod are left/right and are located on the top left corner. Left is mono. Plug the Output of the Pod into the Line-In on your soundcard. Make sure that the little switch on the Pod Output is set to DIRECT.
In your soundcard you will have to turn off the option called "What U Hear". It a stupid Soundbaster thing that will drive you nuts. I have a shitty soundblaster too, but it does the trick - until I can afford better.

My set up is like this:

Guitar->Pod->Mixer->Line In on soundcard

Simple as hell. Don't even really need the mixer, you could still record your geetar decently without it.

Don't know why you'd need a DI box, unless you were using the Pod as an amp simulator at a live gig. Then you would run the Pod into a DI box that would go right to the PA system.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, that helps tremendously.

From reading about the DI box, it appears that it would buffer the signals strength and give it better clarity and tone upon recording. According to the POD 2.0 manual, it's preferable to use a DI box when recording directly into a computer. Guitar pickups like to feed into a high impedence load, while most mixer inputs handle relatively low impedence, which gives a "squashed" sound if you directly plud a guitar into one. Using a DI box before entering the mixer buffers the signal, delivering optimal results. So, I figure that, if I'm going to be using a mixer, getting a DI box would be preferable.

I've been recrording for a while and have tried a number of packages. I have got the best results with the following:

Software: Cubase (or Cubasis VST - cheaper option)

Hardware: Tascam US-428 (USB connection with built in mixer workstation, integrates directly into Cubase/Cubasis)

I tried line in recording but it is too messy, pops and crackles all over the place plus syncing up with backing tracks on individual tracks is a problem.

I record all music tracks at home, save them in Wav format, burn them to CD then bring them to the studio. The only recording we do in a studio is for the drums. The guitar tracks are played along to a drum machine so the timing remains perfect throughout (in studio metronomes often throw drummers if they switch with off-beats). This saves hell of a lot of money and means that a good drum sound can be gotten without stressing out about studio time. The engineer then uploads the tracks from CD to the sequencer (most studios have Cubase available) and the drummer plays along with the music which is in perfect time. Once the drums are recorded, then actual mix (if not finished by the end of the session) can be done out of the studio through any number of professional software packages - allways better to get a sound engineer to do this if you want it to sound professional.

Would be interested to see how some fo the other guys who burn demos do their recording setup!

I use a Tascam Portastudio 424mkIII, and a Shure 55SH Series II dynamic microphone, some crappy ass Radioshack headphones(looking for monitors and a job:( and Im trying to get a drum machine, but honestly all these computer based ones just suck balls. :erk:

I record everything at home on a digital studio. I use an Athlon based system running Cubase SX 2.0, a Terratec EWS88MT soundcard and Event TR8 monitors. The PC specs are beefy - I planned them out for like a year before I finally bought all the components and put them together...there's a learning curve, but I couldn't be happier with the results. I'll have some samples of my instrumental stuff soon...

I use ProTools LE on a Mac. For guitars I use an original POD with the updated 2.0 chip. For Bass, I just bought a Bass POD XT Pro. For drums, I use the Drum Kit From Hell sample disks going through Reason 2.5 and rewired into PTLE. All synths and effects go into PT the same way. I trigger the drums and synths through MIDI.

I absolutly love this set up. Plug in, hit record. Awesome!

Release said:
I use ProTools LE on a Mac. For guitars I use an original POD with the updated 2.0 chip. For Bass, I just bought a Bass POD XT Pro. For drums, I use the Drum Kit From Hell sample disks going through Reason 2.5 and rewired into PTLE. All synths and effects go into PT the same way. I trigger the drums and synths through MIDI.

I absolutly love this set up. Plug in, hit record. Awesome!

How do you like the sound you get from the Bass POD? I have been thinking of picking one of those up...

JB

USMC0341 said:
How do you like the sound you get from the Bass POD? I have been thinking of picking one of those up...

Oh man, I LOVE it. I bought the XT Pro rack mount version for my studio. I haven't used it live so I can't comment on what it sounds like through an amp but for direct recording, it's perfect. I think it has 32 amps and you can change the cabs, miking, effects...you can customize everything. I was using the guitar POD for my bass tracks before and the difference is night and day. If you have the cash, I'd say go for it. Like I said in another thread about POD's, if either one of mine went down today, I'd be at Guitar Center picking up a new one tonight.

Release said:
Oh man, I LOVE it. I bought the XT Pro rack mount version for my studio. I haven't used it live so I can't comment on what it sounds like through an amp but for direct recording, it's perfect. I think it has 32 amps and you can change the cabs, miking, effects...you can customize everything. I was using the guitar POD for my bass tracks before and the difference is night and day. If you have the cash, I'd say go for it. Like I said in another thread about POD's, if either one of mine went down today, I'd be at Guitar Center picking up a new one tonight.

Cool man...I appreciate the heads up. I'll probably get the non rack version (it's basically the same engine right?). I'm looking forward to dialing that baby in - and I only use PODs for direct recording...I use my BOSS GT6B pedal for live playing...

Thanks again man... :headbang:

Release said:

I just re-read your original post dude - nice to meet another DFH head...have you checked out DFH: Superior yet? I picked it up 3 weeks ago, and it fucking RULES!!!! There is a pretty big learning curve, but I'll tell you, it is by far the most tweakable drum module I have ever heard. Hopefully I'll have some instrumental pieces to post soon...

JB

USMC0341 said:
I just re-read your original post dude - nice to meet another DFH head...have you checked out DFH: Superior yet? I picked it up 3 weeks ago, and it fucking RULES!!!! There is a pretty big learning curve, but I'll tell you, it is by far the most tweakable drum module I have ever heard. Hopefully I'll have some instrumental pieces to post soon...

JB

No, I haven't heard it yet but I'm dying to. The drum sounds bleed through to the surrounding drums right? Definitly post song once you have one, I'd love to hear it. How do you actually program the drums in that? I use ProTools with Reason acting as a sound module with DFH loaded up in the sampler. Then I just write in the MIDI notes in PT. Is this kind of thing still possible with the new DFH sampler?

Release said:
No, I haven't heard it yet but I'm dying to. The drum sounds bleed through to the surrounding drums right? Definitly post song once you have one, I'd love to hear it. How do you actually program the drums in that? I use ProTools with Reason acting as a sound module with DFH loaded up in the sampler. Then I just write in the MIDI notes in PT. Is this kind of thing still possible with the new DFH sampler?

You can do just about anything with DFH: Superior. You can adjust the bleeding, you can specify different thresholds for the shots, meaning that you can set the system to never strike the same shot with the same velocity twice in a row, making it a more realistic sounding drum track. Basically, I program all my basic beats through Cubase SX's Drum Editor - you just drop the shots where you want them in the grid and build your drum track. I get the basic flow of the drums done, and then record some bass and guitar tracks. Then, I'll mute the basic drum track, and I'll play along with the bass and guitar using an Akai MPD16 midi pad and come up with some better ideas for the drums, and then go from there.
I'm still getting the hang of the engineering side of things, and getting better at using all the facets of Superior...but it's fucking awesome dude. Definitely check it out of you get a chance...

JB

I record everything at home, and for the first time ever in my life, I'm actually very happy with my current setup. Easy to use, quick to record ideas, versatile and powerful.

Go to my web site at http://adifferentsun.com ...and underneath the music, you'll find a description of how I record everything.

The newest track on the site, "Seismonic Repercussions...", is the only one that really reflects my current setup.

The only thing not mentioned on the site is that I have started using Izotope's Ozone to master (in Soundforge).

~Robert, who needs to check out DFH!