Who used sm57 on vocal?

u_me_myself_and_i

New Metal Member
Jul 27, 2007
hes voice sound like arch enemy,we used sm58 and sm57 and i liked the result of sm57 than sm58...
but i really dont trust my ear...
just want to who used the sm57 on vocal and i want hear sample of the song
tnx...guys:kickass:

No seriously, I'd want to know which famous artists/records was recorded with, say an sm57. I've heard lenny kravitz does it all the time.
And we all know that metallica/megadeth/michael jackson have recorded many things through an Sm7.

site_img_us_rc_sm58_large.gif

site_img_us_rc_sm57_large.gif

I do believe it's the windscreen on the capsule itself that differs (as well as the visible one), otherwise the capsule design is the same.

I've always wondered who uses an SM57 for vocals too. Reason being is that it's probably what I'll be using to record my own vocals when I get round to it!

I read somewhere that Hetfield used an SM57 on Nothing Else Matters? Dunno if it's true though...

I thought Metallica used SM7's all the way.

Anyone got any tips for using an SM57 for thrash vocal recording? (Apart from using a pop shield with it!)

Well, for TRASH vocal recordings, the president of the united states of america always use two SM57 on his speeches on the white house.

Last week I started recording vocals on the small studio of a friend of mine, he usually record demos for bands using Behringer's condenser B2Pro. I started with this one and one SM57 and also a SM58 at the same time and best sound was SM57, the worst, of course Behringer's.
I will buy one for my home studio as soon as possible.

It is also perfect to record rehearsals putting two of this in the air to get some stereo nice sound (not pro but enough to listen the mikstakes)

I tried sm57 on my vocals while demoing songs but found it a bit harsh and thin sounding (my vocals r at the gates/early killswitch screamy), looking at the graphs above that makes sense as sm57 has more around 5k and that style of vocals is quite agressive in the high mids. 57 might work well for growly death vocals tho as the extra high mids would probably help with clarity.
For clean stuff i guess it depends on the voice but generally 58's seem to be a bit more natural sounding (i know sneap uses 58's on vocals sometimes eg Testament).

Sometimes I'll use an SM57 or 58 (whichever is closest) for a vocalist who 'needs' to hold the mic or can't stay put, it's an interesting tone. Not necessarily my favorite but it's by no means horrible.

Not necessarily my favorite but it's by no means horrible

when it comes down to it, you could probably use this sentence to describe a 57 on just about any source imaginable.

i'm sure there's some things that they TOTALLY suck on...but i'm yet to find one.

There is a mod you can do to the sm57 to make it more like an sm7. You have to remove the transformer and to do this you have to take off the capsule and then boil the center part of mic to loosen glue holding transformer. Get rid of transformer and then run wire from capsule to the xlr plug and wala a new mic or just a sm57 with different flavor. It drops the sound by 10db but really changes the sound overall. I love this mic on screaming vox. :headbang:

Give it a whirl if you got a few extra 57's laying around. The original article was from tape op if you want the right directions. I found the info in there forums since i had lost my mag by the time i was ready to mod. Just in case any cares.:Smug: