Who used sm57 on vocal?

Don Cochino (Pungent Stench) uses the 57 for vocals. The latest Lamb Of God (I think Ashes did as well) had a lot of 58 on it together with sm7b :worship:

I'm not sure if you guys are familair with these but I got a Hm1 on its way to me, I'll be buying the hm2 for m3anie vocals
http://kelaudio.com/hm2d.html

There is a mod you can do to the sm57 to make it more like an sm7. You have to remove the transformer and to do this you have to take off the capsule and then boil the center part of mic to loosen glue holding transformer. Get rid of transformer and then run wire from capsule to the xlr plug and wala a new mic or just a sm57 with different flavor. It drops the sound by 10db but really changes the sound overall. I love this mic on screaming vox. :headbang:

That would drastically change the output. The 57 is originally made for live snare so that does make sense.

In case you want a 7b but cant afford it, try the 57 modded by http://www.mercenary.com/smmiwitatr.html

There is a mod you can do to the sm57 to make it more like an sm7. You have to remove the transformer and to do this you have to take off the capsule and then boil the center part of mic to loosen glue holding transformer. Get rid of transformer and then run wire from capsule to the xlr plug and wala a new mic or just a sm57 with different flavor. It drops the sound by 10db but really changes the sound overall. I love this mic on screaming vox. :headbang:

Give it a whirl if you got a few extra 57's laying around. The original article was from tape op if you want the right directions. I found the info in there forums since i had lost my mag by the time i was ready to mod. Just in case any cares.:Smug:

This is a good mod... but I hate it when people say it makes it sound like an SM7. It's true, to an extent, but not nearly to the extent that one would expect, and it's still not the friendliest fucker to record vocals with because of how bitchy it is about movement of any kind relative to the source. Sound-wise, it's an improvement in the right direction but not nearly big enough to warrant calling it anything like an SM7.

Do it, but don't expect your new vocal mic.

Jeff

This is a good mod... but I hate it when people say it makes it sound like an SM7. It's true, to an extent, but not nearly to the extent that one would expect, and it's still not the friendliest fucker to record vocals with because of how bitchy it is about movement of any kind relative to the source. Sound-wise, it's an improvement in the right direction but not nearly big enough to warrant calling it anything like an SM7.

Do it, but don't expect your new vocal mic.

Jeff

+1

I seem to recall that during the recording of 10,000 Days that they stuck a 57 during the parts that Maynard screamed on next to the large condenser mic that was being used, and the 57 had distortion added to it.