Who was better: Stevie Ray Vaughan or Jimi Hendrix?

Who was better?

• SRV

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Hendrix

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Both were equally talented

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Both sucked

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
I'm not your friend and i suspect no one is here nor offline... i stand by my comments as well... and most would agree with me about you in general... :Smug:

anyways this thread need to die but to answer the question.

who wrote better songs?hendrix
who was more inventive with the guitar?hendrix
who played with the most passion? tie
who played with better technique and tone? SRV

take from that what you will. does that answer who the best guitar player is? no because jeff beck craps on both of them

You could make that argument.

well everyone has a differnt opinion so it doesn't matter. i'd say the 10 best guitar players are in order:
1 jeff beck
2 jimi hendrix
3 eric clapton
4 jimmy page
5 SRV
6 duane allman
7 eddie van halen
8 steve vai
9 joe satriani
10 vernon reid

10 best drummers ever:
1 buddy rich
2 vinnie colaiuta
3 terry bozzio
4 ginger baker
5 mike mangini
6 aynsley dunbar
7 cozy powell
8 carmine appice
9 neil peart
10 john bonham

Beck is in a weague of his own. I have a cover of Beck and Seal doing Manic Depression and it just doesnt have the fire in the guitar playing that Hendrix had. They did an interesting version, none the less. Also a live performance with Beck and Vaughan reveil Vaughan a richer player. Still the Beck thing is unique.

I think he was trying to imply a sarcastic whiny tone to his post. As in "awww, did I whurt duh widdul baby's feeewings?"

But then again, it's razor; he doesn't own a dictionary. And honestly I don't know why you would put a "w" at the beginning of "hurt" to get that sound.

And mdmatt4ever, you left David Gilmour off your list. :cool:

EDIT: @Ozz; and he just did it again with the word "league."

I prefer expression myself but many faster players have said plenty as well. There is alot of great improv done over the years. I wouldnt say "No one" can as Gilmour because you have Santana, Gary Moore as well as many quick players that have their share of heart bleeding solos.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJXa0mOc1pk&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Simply put, David Gilmour, is one of the most superb guitarists(musicians) of our time. I always thought he was the most talented band member of Floyd. His guitar playing and tone are spectacular. Now, I'm not stating a comparison, when I say, Andrew Latimer(Camel) is another guitarist, often overlooked, that plays beautifully. Has anyone heard the 2cd and 2dvd package called "Live in Gdansk" by Mr.Gilmour?

I prefer expression myself but many faster players have said plenty as well. There is alot of great improv done over the years. I wouldnt say "No one" can as Gilmour because you have Santana, Gary Moore as well as many quick players that have their share of heart bleeding solos.

Of definitely, Gary Moore is a very soulful player as well. Santana is good, but not one of my favorites. In essence, I just think that Gilmour is the epitome of the slow, melodic emotional player. Others do it too, but Gilmour always does it and nails it every time.

Spot on bro. Have you heard his recent album On An Island?

Great song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSmaQ2Abr4o

Most definitely, I bought On An Island the day it came out. Gilmour's older solo records are good too. He's really a top-notch musician, and a superb songwriter.

The Gilmour vs. Waters debate is tough for me because I love both of them equally. They each do their own thing so well. Together they created possibly the greatest sound in rock history (in my opinion, of course; Floyd's my favorite band :cool:).

Floyd have surpassed Zeppelin for me (as far as favorite classic rock band). I think Gilmour is more talented than Waters yes, but a close call indeed.