Who was better: Stevie Ray Vaughan or Jimi Hendrix?

Who was better?

• SRV

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Hendrix

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Both were equally talented

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Both sucked

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
tell me whats similar between hendrix and SRV

They are both dead, they are both popular guitarists, they both played blues/rock, they both played Fender Stratocasters, they have both left legacies and influenced many many people. Surely comparing them isn't out of the question.

They are both dead, they are both popular guitarists, they both played blues/rock, they both played Fender Stratocasters, they have both left legacies and influenced many many people. Surely comparing them isn't out of the question.

but thats not related to their playing style. the actual style they play with isn't very similar

LoL... I guess that person didn't realize that Stevie was a Hendrix fanboy...

i know that, its not a joke. look at tone, technique, phrasing, fingering, and you can see they aren't much alike in playing. if you removed the vocals from a live recording of a hendrix tune and then removed the vocals from a live SRV cover of a hendrix tune and got the quality of the recording to sound the same i can tell you if it was hendrix or SRV 99.9% of the time

Just because they sound different doesn't mean you can't compare them. Sure, their tone wasn't the same; but they had similar influences, similar styles, and they both played blues music (although Hendrix branched out more). I really don't see where you're coming from. When examining guitar legends you can't help but compare them.

"fanboy", only assholes use that term... then especially in a case such as this... Vaughan was nobodys "boy"... or any other musicians of such quality... what a dip shit thing to say
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Matt - they are comparable for their approach to improv, and Vaughan used many other techniques Hendrix used. He is much more comparable than other players from the 80's that were more of the metal style. There have been a few players during the 70's & 80's that have made an effort to keep the sound of Hendrix alive. Trower, Marino, and Vaughan, yet all three are considerably different, still I would consider them comparable. I also understand your feelings on whats the point of "comparing" them to the point that this topic went to in some instances. A strong admirer of both I certainly couldnt go to where some have tried to go in this topic, and surely if both were alive today they would point to each other as to who was "better".

"fanboy", only assholes use that term... then especially in a case such as this... Vaughan was nobodys "boy"... or any other musicians of such quality... what a dip shit thing to say
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh excuse me dickhead, did i post that to start a flamewar with you like you just did?. The only asshole is you like always. To me fanboy is a great admirer or worshipper of whomever... whether "boy" "man" "girl" "woman" is used does not matter... means the same thing... so go fuck yourself and go back to the hole you crawled from... and if both were alive most likely neither one would say they are "better"... and would respect, admire and praise each others' playing...

Just because they sound different doesn't mean you can't compare them. Sure, their tone wasn't the same; but they had similar influences, similar styles, and they both played blues music (although Hendrix branched out more). I really don't see where you're coming from. When examining guitar legends you can't help but compare them.
Exactly ^^^^^ Even Stevie would admit to that if he were here and probably has in interviews i read of his in the past...

well we can compare whoever we want but IMO they weren't very similar guitar players

well we can compare whoever we want but IMO they weren't very similar guitar players

Maybe you are not fimiliar with all of Hendrix's work ? Which admittedly was more vast than SRV, quite a few similiar techniques were used and expanded on.
--------------------------------------------

Fuck you UF dickhead, fanboy is used as a demeaning insult to insinuate someone cant see past something... which is usually the case with those who so easily spew the term out their lips. If you dont mean it that way fine but that is the context I have always heard it used under... so have a nice fucking day... I have been having the time of my life and it aint dark in my hole... Sunshine :heh:

Maybe you are not fimiliar with all of Hendrix's work ? Which admittedly was more vast than SRV, quite a few similiar techniques were used and expanded on.
--------------------------------------------

Fuck you UF dickhead, fanboy is used as a demeaning insult to insinuate someone cant see past something... which is usually the case with those who so easily spew the term out their lips. If you dont mean it that way fine but that is the context I have always heard it used under... so have a nice fucking day... I have been having the time of my life and it aint dark in my hole... Sunshine :heh:
go fuck yourself little prick (and i mean little)... before you attack anyone perhaps you should get your head out of your asshole (which by the way it is dark) and ask them what they mean before calling them assholes when they aren't even attacking you... if i even meant "fanboy" by the world according to Razor then I said it to a person that passed away... and last i checked your not part of the SRV estate to speak for him nor are you SRV though you wish you were... I'm a fanboy of Pink Floyd and alot of other bands/artists and proudly admit it... and i have no doubt Stevie would say the same about himself and Hendrix... your a little prick and always have been a little prick.. no one likes your sorry ass... doesn't that tell you something... and it's not because your right or wrong opinions.. but because your a little prick.. simple as that... how many forums have you been banned from so far?... wouldn't be surprised if more then 1... so go fuck yourself.. and go crawl back up your DARK assHole and do us all a favor by going away...

P.S. if you had read my comment carefully about calling Stevie a fanboy you would notice that I was commenting to someone who said his and Hendrix's styles are not similar... how is that suppose to mean SRV can't look pass something? .. it was clearly shown I meant Stevie was a big fan of Hendrix...

:danceboy: My comment and feelings on the matter stand firm, my little wanky mentally unstable friend.