Who was better: Stevie Ray Vaughan or Jimi Hendrix?

Who was better?

• SRV

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Hendrix

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Both were equally talented

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Both sucked

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
I can only imagine if both SRV and Hendrix were alive today.

and that is the best point that can be made. They would have played together thats almost certain and it would have been quite inspiring.

As an additional note to my having mentioned the Kenny Wayne Shepherd - Trouble Is - CD, I was playing this in steady rotation the past few weeks and it has some great songs. Origionally I felt he came too close to cloning SRV, but still always enjoyed the album. Upon recent playing of it and closer examination of the riffs and structure, it seems he was influenced by the best of Vaughans rythmns but made his very own songs from them and actually took that song writing beyond what SRV had time for. Not saying better but he got the job done and with his own touch. You can hear the Cold Shot and CSTW influences but they are still his own thing. The vocalist... forget about it, I put him up very close to Trowers - James Dewar, hes was a great vocalist, I dont think he's still with Shepherd. Great album for those SRV fans hungry for what never happened, only a few... I guess people call them filler songs, a few that are only "alright". But there are at least 5-6 songs on there that are got to haves for blues-boogie freaks.

no, not at all, did you ever go to a concert and actually see him perform... far superior to sex

Hendrix without a doubt.
I'm not explaining anything as I would just be repeating the same thing Einherjar stated.

Hendrix without a doubt.
I'm not explaining anything as I would just be repeating the same thing Einherjar stated.

nor would you be telling someone who was there for both and still listens to both fairly regularly anything that held any weight:danceboy:

Oh, shut the fuck up razor. Hendrix could shred the blues, just the same that Vaughan can. But Hendrix could play psychedelic, funk, jazz, fucking the works. He was an innovator on multiple levels. You say how "the notes bled from Vaughan's strings..." Well, they did from Hendrix's too. Hendrix opened up doors everyone else thought were locked. All Vaughan did was walk through one of them.

+1.

Hendrix had influence on a much wider range of artists than Vaughan did. Just listen to the solo of Cemetery Gates by Pantera. It is very similar to one of the solos in Voodoo Child.

Oh, shut the fuck up razor. Hendrix could shred the blues, just the same that Vaughan can. But Hendrix could play psychedelic, funk, jazz, fucking the works. He was an innovator on multiple levels. You say how "the notes bled from Vaughan's strings..." Well, they did from Hendrix's too. Hendrix opened up doors everyone else thought were locked. All Vaughan did was walk through one of them.

bahahahahaha - having problems with that comprehension again ?

go back and read my first post :lol:

only two errors here "same as" and "all Vaughan did"

bahahahahaha - having problems with that comprehension again ?

go back and read my first post :lol:

only two errors here "same as" and "all Vaughan did"

I don't want to reread it. I don't comprehend anything you say because all you say is bullshit, and you annoy me.

It's weird, sometimes I can tolerate you. Then again, some nights it's like your head is filled with styrofoam.

But he was there man. And he listens to both fairly regularly. Therefore his opinion is far more valid than anyone else's, and he is allowed to ignore and deflect any valid point that may be aimed at him with some backhanded arrogant smug nonsensical load of claptrap.

:lol: such as ?

my observation has been that everyone ignores what I ask of them or bring to point... there in lies the foam brains

no one has yet brought evidence of a better blues guitar player

no one has shown valid proof why other genres of music could evolve beyond their primitive beginnings but the blues could not

statements were made that both BB King and Albert King were some form of "dark" "delta blues" yet no responces to the upbeat sounds they both had

one person went so far as to say SRV played "pop"... talk about styrofoam for brains

want to pass SRV's natural guitar playing ability off as "just a polished" player. Yet I suppose I would be wrong to think that BB King had the BB thing down pat and polished like a bottle

Have no responces what so ever to his ability to become the music, the intensity is obvious upon viewing his live performances, or better yet witnessing one, far beyond that of most guitar players. Yep Hendrix had it at times, other times could be pretty shabby, bad notes, wrong key, too fucked up, there was multiple reasons

I have stated on this board many times that Hendrix was the #1 most important guitar player in rock history

I have also stated that Vaughan is the most phenominal blues player, as have others

Yet we have two grumbly butts that wish to counter that by saying "he didnt really play the blues" and that which he did "was just copied"... as if the blues did not already have its own redundancy long before Vaughan... but somehow even though he stands out so boldly in the world of blues and Texas boogie... we have two members that want to deny his contribution and awe inspiring uncomparable performances

Oh yeah... its me thats fucked up alright

heres my first post, which after much back peddeling by a few says the same, only Im smarter than to pick sides when it comes to these two guitar players. When it comes to "better" well Vaughan had the better hands

Great equally important talent but the scale tips in different areas. Vaughan was a more skilled guitar player. He took Hendrix's thing to a higher level. Hendrix wrote better lyrics as a whole and was the origional innovator. He also experimented more where Vaughan stayed primarily into the blues. However Vaughan really took the blues improvisational guitar to its highest level. Not to say that currently there is not players pushing hard. Bonamassa's got it going on.

I dont get the Vaughan pop/rock blues statement ? Must be someones only heard the two radio songs off In Step

This is the blues for me. Doyle Bramhall II; modern soulful blues music.

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=_tLD-r4ia_E&feature=related[/ame]

(cover of a Cream song)
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=vAKMH74YmII&feature=related[/ame]

(playing with Derek Trucks; unfortunately, Trucks doesn't play in this video)
[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=oI9-v1edZLE[/ame]

yeah, Stevie had soul too, more than most. The first song got old after a minute. The third is more like it, thats a typical minor blues. Good left handed guitar player, funny how strange it looks watching, from straight down it seems normal... lol

aside from Redhouse this was my introduction to the blues, my favorite song from III. I use this studio recording because Plants live vocal antics always piss me off

which is why I love this song so much... but this is like getting the best of Since I've Been.... and Janis, this guy is actually a very good blues man. [Did'nt find any live footage sorry]

all minor blues

and of course "Blue Monday" the song Vito Bratta wrote for Stevie

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, Stevie had soul too, more than most. The first song got old after a minute. The third is more like it, thats a typical minor blues. Good left handed guitar player, funny how strange it looks watching, from straight down it seems normal... lol

See, for me the first one is great. That simple, dirty style (I love that guitar sound) is what I like in the blues, and what the blues means to me. But I also love the third video. Doyle's playing is amazing. He actually used to sound like SRV a ton when he was younger. He's the son of SRV's drummer, and he played with Vaughan's rhythm section after his death in a band called the ARC Angels. He also plays in a band called Smokestack that does primarily rock-oriented stuff.

But damn, he can play the blues.

Well the thing with that song is you have heard it all after the first minute, but its five minutes long, that was a terribly redundant rhythm, near the point of monotone {I could feel my styrofoam starting to swell}. I've heard more interesting Delta-ish blues