Who was better: Stevie Ray Vaughan or Jimi Hendrix?

Who was better?

• SRV

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Hendrix

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Both were equally talented

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Both sucked

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Okay. Gilmour's my favorite of all time. I prefer taste over speed. No one can say as much as Gilmour in so few notes.
No doubt, Solos:

Time
Comfortably Numb - first solo
Echoes - first solo
Shine on You Crazy Diamond - beginning solos to intro of song
etc. etc.

Simply put, David Gilmour, is one of the most superb guitarists(musicians) of our time. I always thought he was the most talented band member of Floyd. His guitar playing and tone are spectacular.
no doubt

In essence, I just think that Gilmour is the epitome of the slow, melodic emotional player. Others do it too, but Gilmour always does it and nails it every time.
no doubt. Something razor and similar peeps don't get because they are technical fans first.

The Gilmour vs. Waters debate is tough for me because I love both of them equally. They each do their own thing so well. Together they created possibly the greatest sound in rock history (in my opinion, of course; Floyd's my favorite band :cool:).
Both are talented but Gilmour is more so. Waters bass lines aren't great but they definetly fit the songs nicely. As for favorite band, they are mine as well from what you can tell in my Sig and praise of Gilmour.

Floyd have surpassed Zeppelin for me (as far as favorite classic rock band). I think Gilmour is more talented than Waters yes, but a close call indeed.
Zep used to be my #1 but Floyd has been now for a couple of years.

Something razor and similar peeps don't get because they are technical fans first.

Oh fuck shit, I have been a fan of Gilmour since before most "peeps" Mama broke water, dont sit and decide for yourself Im a "technical fan first". If thats the case why are my favorite guitarists still Page, Clapton, Santana, Gilmore, Trower, Hendrix and Vaughan and of the later "skill" guitarists Satch is still my favorite and he is the king of melodic guitar work. Riviera Paradise is my favorite Vaughan song and if anyone even listened that guitar work just bleeds emotion and clearly at a level above the rest but more reminicent to me at times of a George Benson approach. Gilmour plays a nice solo and always has but many could easily say he has played the same solo for a multitude of songs, its his nitch, there is a common groove and type of progression typically used.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yc8xyL0Xxo&feature=related[/ame]

Make note that he dedicates this to "the man"
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGw3-j6LDUw&feature=related[/ame]

do not tell me the kind of guitar playing "I like" or what "I get" !!

Oh fuck shit, I have been a fan of Gilmour since before most "peeps" Mama broke water, dont sit and decide for yourself Im a "technical fan first".
I'm just as old as you if not older so do not assume im a kid. And based on your praise of SRV i would say your a technical fan first as most others do about you.
Gilmour plays a nice solo and always has but many could easily say he has played the same solo for a multitude of songs, its his nitch, there is a common groove and type of progression typically used.
Wow, you really do not understand Gilmour's playing if that is what you think of it and him. But believe what you like. I'ts your right even if you are wrong.

do not tell me the kind of guitar playing "I like" or what "I get" !!
I can tell you what i want to tell you. It's called freedom of speech. :Smug: :kickass: You really get your panties in a ruffle easily :lol: If you ever had a whole conversation in a thread without insulting someone because they do not share your opinions I would die of shock. o_O btw you left out Leslie West from your list because i said so :)

Razor Blunt, I mean Edge, why do you get so fuckin' pissed, man? It's a simple subjective music discussion. You went after me some time ago, and your still doing it to others. Take a Mydol and relax! Not everyone's out to get you. Think harder before you post. Remember, this is an opinion, not a direct attack.

Razor Blunt, I mean Edge, why do you get so fuckin' pissed, man? It's a simple subjective music discussion. You went after me some time ago, and your still doing it to others. Take a Mydol and relax! Not everyone's out to get you. Think harder before you post. Remember, this is an opinion, not a direct attack.
Exactly... btw does anyone here like Leslie West? I always thought he was the most underrated 70's guitarist... Mountain was a great group and i like his other projects...

Your memory is quite different of the course of events with that occasion than mine, but Im OK with that. Regardless unfaithfull is an ass clown to me and made a statement about how I viewed guitar playing that was way off base and I dont let ANYTHING go. Just someone that says SRV's playing is about tech not feel speaks for itself... NO ? I dont get pissed off as some may think. I eat this stuff up like icecream, I actually have fun with it {in comes satanstoenail(god thats alot of letters) with the trolling comment :rolleyes: } Seems its everyone else that gets "pissed" :heh: ... according to unfaithfulls popular consensus....... heres me, feeling bad :cry:

To answer a question: Mountain is and has been one of my favorite old hardrock bands with many a great song and I did look for some vids of Leslie bleeding through the fingers the other day when I put up the four vids but they didnt fit the style I was looking for at that time. My band always played Mississippi Queen and I really should take the time to learn Nantucket Sleighride being as I always felt it slayed and we would have so much fun playing it... origionals are occupying any available spare effort.

Have a nice day... my fellow... PRICKS !

Leslie West was overlooked as a musician and guitarist. Another one was Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. Mountain and ZZ were 2 of my favorite bands back in the day. I quite don't know why, but vagina abounded with ZZ Top. It was almost ridiculous how much cooch I got behind that music. However, their peers knew they both were excellent players.

Exactly... btw does anyone here like Leslie West? I always thought he was the most underrated 70's guitarist... Mountain was a great group and i like his other projects...

i love leslie west. mountain is great and so are the west,bruce and laing albums. i haven't heard any of his newer releases but aynsley dunbar plays the drums on most of it so it might be worth checking out

"fanboy", only assholes use that term... then especially in a case such as this... Vaughan was nobodys "boy"... or any other musicians of such quality... what a dip shit thing to say
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Regardless unfaithfull is an ass clown to me and made a statement about how I viewed guitar playing that was way off base and I dont let ANYTHING go. Seems its everyone else that gets "pissed" :heh: ... according to unfaithfulls popular consensus....... heres me, feeling bad :cry:
You really should reevaluate about whom was being a ass clown to whom first.Read the above statement that set this time off. If i say anything construed as an attack to you it's reactive.

The above statement also shows that you do not get "pissed" :rolleyes: Also it's not my consensus but pretty much everyone's. If you respected everyone's opinion instead of attacking people , then perhaps we would respect your opinion.

I did look for some vids of Leslie bleeding through the fingers the other day when I put up the four vids but they didnt fit the style I was looking for at that time.
Had Felix lived I think Mountain would of been bigger. He was Roger Waters to Leslie's Gilmour in this band. Not alot of great footage from the 70's but here's a ok ones:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pndj52wlSE&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iqj6XQ65OqU&feature=related[/ame]

Vaughan was a Hendrix "fanboy" = ass clown, far better ways of saying Vaughan was heavily inspired, as were many, by Hendrix's playing.

BTW, your Mountain vids did not transfer.... either

Vaughan was a Hendrix "fanboy" = ass clown, far better ways of saying Vaughan was heavily inspired, as were many, by Hendrix's playing.

BTW, your Mountain vids did not transfer.... either
I choose to say it however I want. I'm not here to please you and say things your way & vice versa. Otherwise any insult will be reactive on my part only.

As for the Mountain clips, I'm not sure what is wrong. If it's Youtube or the UM site.

you special

sometimes the vids just dont transfer, but they are still there, protected or just exactly what I have no idea.

you special

sometimes the vids just dont transfer, but they are still there, protected or just exactly what I have no idea.
Yes I know I am. My mommy told me so... :cool: Anyways anyone else having problems watching the clips or just some of us?

Sounds excellent. That's next week. I wonder what inspired this gig?
Definetly excellent. Will be a great show. Not sure what inspired it other then Satch is probably a West/Mountain fan and he invited them for a special show to jam with them. :kickass: