Who was better: Stevie Ray Vaughan or Jimi Hendrix?

Who was better?

• SRV

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Hendrix

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Both were equally talented

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • Both sucked

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
you are doing a good job of back peddling now by ignoring the origional issue created by calling Vaughan a pop player, not really a bluesman and not really special, then eventually a rip off artist.
Actually i called him a poppish blues player who is great and is a bluesman with rockish overtones who appeals to the general masses because of it and not because he's a strictly blues player... so i'm going to assume you mean Einherjar and not me... by the way the majority has voted for Hendrix over Vaughn so I do not know what majority you mean when you directed a earlier post at me and Einherjar about a "majority" against us... :erk: btw imo Gilmour owns Vaughn... :)

That's actually the one I have. I thought it was his first album ahaha.

His first album is actually self-titled. Still, it's fuckin' great, and if you like About Face, you'll definitely like his first record. It has the song There's No Way Out Of Here on it... what's not to like? :cool:

btw imo Gilmour owns Vaughn... :)

Fucking word bro. :cool:

Gilmore is on my list as well as Carlos and Beck and Satch and Trower and Clapton and Puleo and Knofler and even Leslie West. All excellent feel players. However there is two men that stand apart... want their names ?

you are doing a good job of back peddling now by ignoring the origional issue created by calling Vaughan a pop player, not really a bluesman and not really special, then eventually a rip off artist. There in is where the problem started, it had NOTHING to do with who was perfered it had to do with an attempt to delete Vaughans value as a bluesman.

Mark Knopfler is the fuckin' shit. Truly an amazing guitarist, second to Gilmour in my opinion. Personally, I enjoy his solo material even more than Dire Straits.

Now, to answer your post razoredge:

I THINK VAUGHAN IS A POP/ROCK/BLUES PLAYER. THAT'S ALL I HAVE TO SAY. SHUT THE FUCK UP.

:cool: I liked his recent album..

I liked his recent album too. I actually went to see it in theaters, when he did that "one night only" showing. It was awesome. I think it paled in comparison to his older records; but still, Gilmour is an amazing guitarist, and so I will always respect his releases. On An Island was defintely an awesome album. Great vocal harmonies with Crosby and Nash too. :cool:

lol at this thread. Arguing with razor =
1408163640_670eacaa1c.jpg

Gilmore is a "nice" guitar player, as in he plays nice pleasing stuff, very pop palatable, very soaring. Knofler is also very pop palatable. There are no guitar players that "own" Vaughan, at his game... and that was the blues BTW, thats just a sad but true fact. No differently than no one owns Gilmore at his game, as the "origional player/creator of ___ melody", however many average players match his skill level and soaring guitar melodies have not been uncommon over the decades. :cool:

Now Jimi: great mind, great drugs (lol), great techniques, developed some of those great techniques, wrote some awesome songs using such and wrote some awesome Dylan-esque lyrics. However he was an inconsistant player, some due to the drugs no doubt, other reasons would be experimentation and the fact that other than the old primitive blues & R&B players he didnt have influences to follow, he was pushing barriers. His ability in the studio show him highly capable but many live performances are hit and miss to downright ruff. His song writing was not always the best, lots of filler songs... but there are reasons for this as well. :cool:

Now of the above, Vaughan also developed some great techniques, pushed the blues barrier, wrote some awesome more origional songs as well as traditional blues, and some damn good blues lyrics... which if you go back was never a strong suit of the blues or requirement. :cool:

Unfaithful Metalhead - I know you are desperate but I once again I was not talking about the poll or personal preference. I was talking about the opinion you two have that Vaughan didnt amount to much. That is where you are outnumbered. In fact Im impressed that the = vote is going so well. It shows there is a handful of thoughtful evaluators out there. Jimi rules for being the #1 important guitar player in rock/hardrock history. Vaughan rules for totally slaying the blues, and recieves high honors from me anyhow for being another along with Trower and Marino for keeping Jimi alive and in our ears for an extra few decades. :cool:

Jarman - want to point me toward one Vaughan "pop" tune ? :cool:
------------------------------------------

Yo... stinky toes... you are correct, argueing with me is foolish if you bring bullshit to the table. :cool:

Yeah, the Culturespill piece on Clapton does seem pretty angry. But I noticed that they also posted something about Mark Knopfler--who someone mentioned here earlier--and it's much more positive. They seem to agree that Knopfler is the man. Here: http://culturespill.com/?p=229.

Agreed. Knopfler's a total badass. I'm hoping to see him live next month if I can afford it--it's either buy another tank of gas or go see Mark Knopfler. I say the hell with it--I'm going to see Mark if I have to ride my nephew's tricycle to get there.

Unfaithful Metalhead - I know you are desperate but I once again I was not talking about the poll or personal preference. I was talking about the opinion you two have that Vaughan didnt amount to much. That is where you are outnumbered.
Outnumbered? your the only one saying it. Unless your opinion counts 10 X's more then anyone elses then perhaps then we would be outnumbered but your not so obviously your wrong.

Agreed. Knopfler's a total badass. I'm hoping to see him live next month if I can afford it--it's either buy another tank of gas or go see Mark Knopfler. I say the hell with it--I'm going to see Mark if I have to ride my nephew's tricycle to get there.

Haha, nice bro. Have fun, that will be a great show.

How did I miss this thread?
I'm just now reading all the Razoredge posts and peoples arguments and laughing my ass off from the first couple of pages. I will agree with Razor that SRV was a more talented guitarist. I can only imagine if both SRV and Hendrix were alive today.:worship: