Who would you say defined heavy metal?

Victoria R

New Metal Member
May 29, 2011
Black Sabbath or Judas Priest? I would say Black Sabbath invented metal but Priest really innovated it to the genre that we now recognize as heavy metal.

I agree, Sabbath (And Deep Purple!) laid down the early groundwork, but Priest truly defined it with their tempo, dual guitarists, song structures and so forth.

jag panzer and dio

black sabbath, mercyful fate, and judas priest just laid the template for future bands. Kinda like saying venom invented the black metal genre - no they didn't

Pantera defined heavy metal. Black sabbath and judas priest made metal, not "heavy" metal.

Iron Maiden.

jag panzer and dio

black sabbath, mercyful fate, and judas priest just laid the template for future bands. Kinda like saying venom invented the black metal genre - no they didn't

Venom is better than majority of black metal.

Black Sabbath. All the gay dadrock bands like Led Zeppelin helped define hard rock, not metal. If any old rock band helped laid the groundwork for metal, it was either Blue Cheer, Iron Butterfly... maybe Blue Цyster Cult.

I don't think of Hard Rock as an actual genre, but more a label thrown on to all of the loud Rock music that non-Metalheads think is Metal that actually isn't.