Who would you say defined heavy metal?

no, he is blatantly wrong.

Musically Venom has nothing to do with Mayhem or Darkthrone. The same for Mercyful Fate and Sodom. Venom was the first Satanist band, Mercyful Fate was the first one to use CORPSEpaint and was also Satanist, but MUSICALLY Venom were Heavy/Speed, MF were Heavy and Sodom were Thrash. The fact these bands had Satanist lyrical themes has nothing to do with the MUSICAL point of view. Should I also say that DEATH SS were Black Metal just because were Satanist?

I think you can hear Venom influences in Darkthrone's music. Mayhem is also very inflenced by Venom as well, though it's not that prominently featured in their music.

And black metal was different in the 80s but don't forget Venom clearly influenced Bathory. In the early 90s most of the Norwegian bands primarily took the Bathory formula (earlier and/or later Bathory), put a bit of their own spin on it, and enough bands followed in these footsteps to solidify certain elements, defining the genre further. 90s black metal was basically a reaction to death metal which was gaining exposure and popularity and was seen by some as a betrayal to the metal genre. 90s black metal was a return to the raw, primitive, unpolished sound along with the darker elements that blackened the kind of music in the early & mid 80s.

I think you can hear Venom influences in Darkthrone's music. Mayhem is also very inflenced by Venom as well, though it's not that prominently featured in their music.

And black metal was different in the 80s but don't forget Venom clearly influenced Bathory. In the early 90s most of the Norwegian bands primarily took the Bathory formula (earlier and/or later Bathory), put a bit of their own spin on it, and enough bands followed in these footsteps to solidify certain elements, defining the genre further. 90s black metal was basically a reaction to death metal which was gaining exposure and popularity and was seen by some as a betrayal to the metal genre. 90s black metal was a return to the raw, primitive, unpolished sound along with the darker elements that blackened the kind of music in the early & mid 80s.

Well, perhaps you're right.

Venom is black/speed, I see no reason why it can't be considered both. Fuck you all for starting this shitty "Is Venom BM" debate again.

He's the grimmest, most necro dude on this forum. Beware.

kvlt.gif

Good show, bud. :lol:

Other bands may have been significant with regard to the development of the metal sound, but Black Sabbath defined its spirit. They made metal 'heavy' because of their insistence on dark, existentially weighty themes with music to match.

What about Motorhead?

This. Motorhead deserves a lot more credit than they seem to get. Without them, you wouldn't have thrash, and without thrash you can say goodbye to black/death, meaning basically all of what we consider "heavy" metal traces back to Lemmy.

Black Sabbath for beginners. Motorhead are responsible for the development of thrash and speed metal, including the subgenres they created, like stated above.
Black Sabbath and Motorhead are, to me, the 2 most important bands in the formation of metal.

This. Motorhead deserves a lot more credit than they seem to get. Without them, you wouldn't have thrash, and without thrash you can say goodbye to black/death, meaning basically all of what we consider "heavy" metal traces back to Lemmy.

WRONG....Sabbath did THRASH in 1975. Symptom of the Universe anyone? Priest did thrash in 1977. Dissident Aggressor anyone? Actually, Budgie did thrash in the early 70's with songs like Crash Course in Brain Surgery and Breadfan. Motorhead did NOT start thrash.

No Mort, I'm right. and just like newt gingrich (my hero, he gets my vote in 2012) i'm not gonna stoop to negative slander to respond to the most vague and moronic remark imaginable in a debate. Now what I will do to quell this discussion is make all my you realize that arguing over who invented what in music is pointless as music is an ever evolving being. when you say this artist/band invented this genre it is not that they intentionally pointed out the future direction and composition of the music, but merely laid the basis for future bands to kindle and expand upon.