who writes novembers doom lyrics?

Ecto

Aug 10, 2002
they're great! i mean, the ones i could read at darklyrics.com are really cool.

how is the process? you just sit and write random words or you plan what you're going to write? what inspires you?

it's strange for me because the only novembers doom song i have listened so far is "for every leaf that falls"...and now i'm talking about lyrics from other songs that i have never listened to...normally people get into the music (instrumental part) first...then they go to the lyrics (sometimes!)

Paul writes all the lyrics for this band since day one. He can and will answer any questions you have, no problem.

Hopefully you'll finally get the urge to go and download more of our tunes at MP3.com someday! If you like 'For Every Leaf...' then hopefully the other songs will appeal to you as well! Let us know what you think when you do....

Originally posted by Ectoplasma
they're great! i mean, the ones i could read at darklyrics.com are really cool.

how is the process? you just sit and write random words or you plan what you're going to write? what inspires you?

it's strange for me because the only novembers doom song i have listened so far is "for every leaf that falls"...and now i'm talking about lyrics from other songs that i have never listened to...normally people get into the music (instrumental part) first...then they go to the lyrics (sometimes!)

As Larry mentioned, I do all the lyric writing in the band. It's something I feel strongly about. I have a VERY hard time, performing someone elses words. It makes me feel very odd. If I don't believe in the words, it shows in the quality of voice. When I write, I need to be in the "mood" for it, and there is usually a specific topic I write about. I never just write random words. It's all part of a plan. You can find every lyric I wrote on our web site. Just click on Discography, click the CD picture, and it brings up CD info, and the lyrics.

Are you trying to tell me you didn't feel the words when we did that cover of KISS' song 'She'?
0073145323762_150X150.jpg

We performed the Kiss cover on a live radio broadcast back in the summer of 99.....it might possibly be floating around the internet somewhere since it was broadcast over the net as well at the time. It was a one time thing we did for fun and its a bit silly, but I think we did a decent job with it. Maybe someday down the road it will get released as a bonus track......as long as Gene doesn't come after us with his twenty lawyers or something, heh.

Actually I take that back, I think it was closer to being around November 99 when it happened....dont know if that'll help your search any.....Eric would know more details about it than I would since it was on the college station he worked at.

That on-air performance was on WNUR's Airplay show, and I can't quite remember the date, but Lar's probably right. We did that and another show at WHPK not too long after Joe started playing in the band (July/Aug 99), but several months before we went in to record The Knowing in 2000.
http://www.wnur.org/
(we're not in the database, but I think that's because they don't go back to 1999)

I have a minidisc recording of the set, but it's purely what was on the air; not in a multi-track separated format that could be mixed for a release. I guess it could be mastered as is and it'd probably sound pretty decent- they were tightening up the mix all through the set, so by the time we hit the end of it, it was a decent mix. I remember I messed up Chorus of Jasmine, so that one probably wouldn't be released (I can't count), but there's stuff on there that has potential. I used to play stuff off it from time to time on the radio show we used do.

:)
I write my own lyrics, but if I really feel someone else's lyrics, I do use them well. Musical integrity is one of the most important aspects of performance. I will probably get a lot of people against me once my band starts playing again soon, because I refuse to use any hateful lyrics. I enjoy the lyrics of some metal bands. many of the bands people call "true" death metal I refuse to listen to because the lyrics ruin the music for me. I really like November's Doom, and I wouldn't if I didn't love yor lyrics, Paul.

One thing I don't understand is how people can say pop bands have true lyrics. These bands sing about not having a single woman that loves them at all, while they have hordes of fans crowding around them wherever they go, even licking their tour bus. Then the nu-metal bands that have lyris that haven't been evenb remotely true for years.

I'm glad some great metal bands don't get exposure, because they will be pampered and many will lose their integrity aqnd motivation to write true lyrics.

Steve

I think any artist who is true about what they do will write great meaningful songs, no matter how popular or exposed they get to the masses. Sure you cant necessarily write a song about being homeless and broken down when you live in a mansion, thats true. But I think that any great band deserves as much exposure as they can possibly get, and if it changes them because they become too pampered, then I dont think their intergrity or intention was in the right place to begin with.
I do think that refusing to use hateful violent lyrics in your metal songs because you dont honestly feel it or believe in it is very commendable. Its so easy and so accepted to write these overly angry aggressive themes, because its metal or whatever. More power to you Steve420 with what you do, because as we've learned it is not easy when you go against the accepted norm, especially in the death metal scene.