"Doom" or not?

NvmbrsDoom5 said:
As we've said before, just because the word "doom" is in our band name, we never intended it to limit us to being just a "pure" doom band. Frankly, to stay that way, would bore the living fuck out of me. And I think I can safely speak for the other guys as well. I am glad that people who enjoyed us when we were more doomy or whatever, can still enjoy our newer material that is, as you say, more up-tempo and such. But as for playing pure doom, or whatever, that was never really a goal of ours to begin with. One thing I cannot do, is write music that just comfortably fits in to any one genre or sub-genre. Everyone in this band listens to, and is influenced by, a large variety of music, doom being only one small part of it. There will always be that dark doom edge or vibe in our music overall, but to just play slow, lumbering, dismal songs all the time has NO appeal to me whatsoever. I enjoy listening to that music at times, and I have enjoyed playing it at times, but overall I want more out of life than that.

We write music we enjoy playing and hearing, regardless of what "style" it comes across as. Our only concern is that it still fits in with what we consider to be Novembers Doom music. We hope that people will appreciate it and enjoy it, and be able to accept and enjoy the growth and change that the band goes through. And if some people cannot, then that's okay too. You can listen to our old albums you enjoyed still. Or don't listen to us at all. I'm going to feel much better at the end of the day knowing I played music that I felt good about personally, rather than trying to please everyone else all the time.

The newest soon-to-be-released album has what I think is the best overall mix of what Novembers Doom is all about. I hope some of you can agree and enjoy it too. Either way, "The Pale Haunt Departure" is my favorite ND cd to date, hands down. =)
is it me, or does it seem like you guys are trying to defend your music with this thread? I mean, if the music is good, which it is in my opinion, then who really cares how its categorized. We as fans either like your music or dont..and even though I like the majority of your music, there are a few songs I dont like..and I am sure that goes for everyone, and that goes for every band too. It just looks like Novembers Doom is taking the defensive stand every time one questions how "doomy" the music is. I, as a ND fan, appreciates ND music for its style and content...Bottom line, ND's music has soul and feeling, and ND doesnt have to defend anything. I admire your skills and talents for what the music brings to me. sorry, just ranting along........... :err:

It's okay man, you are allowed to rant here haha....as I am, I believe, allowed to rant and complain and speak my mind as well, I'd hope. This forum is great for fans and bystanders to be able to come together and voice their opinions, as is the way of the entire internet. I realise that at times, we may come across a bit heavy and defensive about things people say about us. The bottom line is, we are human beings like everyone else. As much as we want to just continue on with our craft and have little regard for what anyone else says or thinks, it is in truth not always that easy. The initial purpose of this particular thread (which was started by me, in fact) was to gain some insight as to what the outsiders perspective was of where we stand as a band in the metal genre, and how we are perceived...Did I ask this as a means to start an arguement with people, or to try and persuade people to think differently of us? No, not at all. I simply want to know what it is, if possible, that makes people still consider us as a "doom" band, because I myself can't hear it. I'm too close to it, so I do appreciate that outside perspective that helps me understand things a lil bit better. Will it affect my songwriting? No, of course not. That's not what it's about.

It is unfortunately a fact of this business, that labels and categories are highly regarded as being important tools for promoting and selling bands. When it comes to a band like ours, those things start to work against us, because we don't fit so neatly into any category. At this point, being promoted as an "american doom metal band" tends to work against us just as much or more than it helps us. My point of the statements I've made on here is not to so much defend our music as to just let people know where our heads are at, because regardless of how magazines or labels or websites might like to promote or push us as, we ourselves do not consider us to be "doom metal". Simple as that. If you disagree, thats fine. Im not trying to agrue with anyone about it, just to let them know where we stand, period. It bothers me that people seem to want to attack us or criticise us whenever we come across as being defensive or merely just stating our point of view on things that pertain to us. We certainly don't jump down the throats of anyone and everyone who doesnt like us or has criticism to throw our way, there's no point in that. But when people make statements to say " I'd like it more if you guys played pure doom", hey they're completely entitled to feel that way, and I dont hold it against them. But I also feel it's important to me to be able to explain to that person why we do not want to play "pure doom" anymore. It's not being defensive or taking offense to it, I just like to be able to state exactly where the band is coming from, rather than the many assumptions and misconceptions floating around from other people who truly don't know what makes us tick or not. If it bothers you that we seem "defensive" when I write these things on here, I'm sorry. But, just like I can't make apologies for the music I like to write and play, I also cannot apologise for speaking my mind when I have something to say.

I am really glad that people like you are able to appreciate what we do and care not about whether or not it fits into a nice little category or not. It is people like yourself that helps make this band continue on our path. Unfortunately there are people who dont see it that way, and while I cannot change their minds, nor do I care to try, I at the very least like to try and understand where they're coming from, and add my two cents to it, in hopes of coming to an understanding of it all. We come under fire alot from fans and critics for things we do and/or dont do, and at times I just feel like I want to use this forum (or the internet in general) to be able to speak for my side of things as well. Who better to clarify what is going on with the band and where the band is headed, than the band members themselves? lol

Anyhow, allow us our rants as well as we allow you yours. Playing the role of the "silent tortured artist" has never suited me well. And maybe its my fault too because I think sometimes I come across as being a bit more intense and stern than I intended it to be taken. I appreciate all input, both positive and negative, because I like to know how the band is perceived. If I didn't care about that, then I'd write music in my basement for myself and just never come out......maybe some people would prefer I do just that hahaha! Oh well!

Anyhow, this particular thread has gone on quite long enough. I asked a question initially with it, and many of you came back with alot of different answers, but all of them provided alot of input that we found very informative! I appreciate it all, good and bad. And I appreciate the time you took out of your day to even respond to it in the first place.

Well said....I really enjoy, not only the insights of the band (which years ago you could only get from a once-a-year interview with MTV, haha), but being able to experience the upcoming release of your new album. Me, being totally musically untalented, find it fascinating to see the album unfolding up to it release, with a video in the making. Thanks guys! :worship:

I never really put a label on you guys...if I did, I'd have to throw it under the "doom/death" category, because, well...the music, at least in the older days, was slower, and doom-like (i.e. Candlemass, Solitude Aeturnus)...and Paul's got the "death metal" vocals going on (although I wouldn't stick him next to say...Chris Barnes..Paul's better!). Paul's lyrics don't really dwell on those topics either. I've noticed it more on The Knowing, and To Welcome.... that his lyrics are more personal.

Call em "doom"...call em "death"..call em whatever you want. All I know is, I'm calling ND "Metal", plain and simple.