Who's Been to a Euro Metal Fest? Tips?

Palabra de Dios

Heavy Metal Weatherman
Mar 22, 2005
St. Joseph, MO
So I'm making my New Years resolution now. This time next year (or sometime in June), I want to go to at least one Euro fest. It's the next step. I've gone to ProgPower for eight years, Maryland Deathfest five times, and a number of smaller fests along the way. It's time to go to Europe.

So I ask you for any and all insight on what to do now to prepare (step one is get a passport), how soon to book a flight, when these fests start announcing lineups.

I have my eye on Hellfest, Download, Tuska, or Graspop. We want to do one of the big ones. Hellfest is highest on the list, as it seems to have the best lineups year after year.

Regardless, any tips on the travel to get there, what to do when there, how to handle myself, where to buy beer and keep it cold, how to properly camp out there...all of the above. Let me know what you know!!!
:wave:

Do you want to do the big one for the experience? Or for the open air/camping? Because if open air is the kicker, I think Hell's Pleasure would be right up your alley...

So I'm making my New Years resolution now. This time next year (or sometime in June), I want to go to at least one Euro fest. It's the next step. I've gone to ProgPower for eight years, Maryland Deathfest five times, and a number of smaller fests along the way. It's time to go to Europe.

So I ask you for any and all insight on what to do now to prepare (step one is get a passport), how soon to book a flight, when these fests start announcing lineups.

I have my eye on Hellfest, Download, Tuska, or Graspop. We want to do one of the big ones. Hellfest is highest on the list, as it seems to have the best lineups year after year.

Regardless, any tips on the travel to get there, what to do when there, how to handle myself, where to buy beer and keep it cold, how to properly camp out there...all of the above. Let me know what you know!!!

I've heard that Metaltown in Sweden is also alot of fun, and it's one of the few "big" Euro fests in a metropolitan area (Gothenburg) and not on a farmland or whatever. I know people who go to Obscene Extreme every year and hear that's amazing too.

Same here.

This year I went to Sonisphere Madrid and Forta Rock. Next year? a 2 or 3 days Fest!!!

I will be looking for some bands....

If you go camping, get a hiking bag and a lock for your tent (if you're going to something as large as Wacken). Pack light and pack stuff that can easily be washed and dried. Check the exchange rates and get cash ahead of time for when you get there. Hit up an ATM after if you need extra cash. Notify your CC company and bank, and check with them about what info you need in case one is stolen. Snag a burn phone if you don't have GSM capability, they're not expensive over there, and you can always buy more minutes for when you go back.

Personally, I loved Tuska, that was by far my fav. The only thing that kinda stunted things for Kvinesdal (Norwegian MetalFest) was the constant rain. I booked flights about a month in advance, set up some notifications 2-3 months ahead of time so I could see what the fare fluctuations would be. If you can take the time and do 2, do it. It's awesome. :D Use hostels for day before and/or after flying if you can, and let your friends in whatever country you're going to know you're coming to town. And talk to people!!!

yeah..Get there a day early to get settled...worst thing to do is land and then rush to the show. Take a day to relax and even wander around and meet up with people.

Like Freakchylde said...let your credit card company know you are going over...last thing you need is your card getting stopped.

If flights are costly...try different days...like one day before and one day after even. For us it saved us 400 bucks doing that.

To each his own. I have very vivid memories of the first day of Prague Death Mass, and I was pretty hammered.
The only time I've ever regretted getting too drunk at a fest was the first day of my first MDF. But, that was my first out of town fest, my first fest being legally able to buy alcohol, etc.

eh, the guys I stayed with when I went to Wacken twice, alot of them didn't even go to see many of the bands, since they have so many fests every year.

I guess it comes down to the reason you are going.

For me, most shows are 100% about the music.
Granted fests are different, so the "social" aspect of it increases as opposed to a normal show, which in turn would lead to more partying and what not.

I guess it comes down to the reason you are going.

For me, most shows are 100% about the music.
Granted fests are different, so the "social" aspect of it increases as opposed to a normal show, which in turn would lead to more partying and what not.

exactly....all fest turn into a party but for me as well it is about the bands first. If there is not a lot of bands I want to see...no point for me going. The social aspect always is going to happen at these things. But first and foremost I need to see a few good bands.

If you go camping, get a hiking bag and a lock for your tent (if you're going to something as large as Wacken). Pack light and pack stuff that can easily be washed and dried. Check the exchange rates and get cash ahead of time for when you get there. Hit up an ATM after if you need extra cash. Notify your CC company and bank, and check with them about what info you need in case one is stolen. Snag a burn phone if you don't have GSM capability, they're not expensive over there, and you can always buy more minutes for when you go back.

Personally, I loved Tuska, that was by far my fav. The only thing that kinda stunted things for Kvinesdal (Norwegian MetalFest) was the constant rain. I booked flights about a month in advance, set up some notifications 2-3 months ahead of time so I could see what the fare fluctuations would be. If you can take the time and do 2, do it. It's awesome. :D Use hostels for day before and/or after flying if you can, and let your friends in whatever country you're going to know you're coming to town. And talk to people!!!
Probably the best advice. I did Wacken + Bloodstock UK in 2008. Hostels were great, especially before/after Wacken in Hamburg. Be sure to hit the pre/afterparties, those are always nuts at festival time and they usually get great bands on board there. If you're camping in a tent, chances are you will be waking up (and staying up) at around 8:00am so keep that in mind when the late nights stack up.

About the drinking. If you can handle yourself, go for it. If you're a lightweight or get sick easily, keep track of yourself. Carry a water bottle, stay hydrated especially for summer festivals. Europe has great booze and it's a shame not to take advantage of it. When you go to a fest like this, there's tens of thousands of people from around the world, and most of them want to meet you and share their beer with you while chit-chatting, so have fun. Just know your limits.