First Maryland Deathfest XII bands announced

caex

May 15, 2004
Hendersonville, NC
The organisers of the Maryland Deathfest have announced the first batch of bands for next year's edition of the event, which will take place in Baltimore, Maryland from May 22nd to 25th. The initial bands confirmed for the festival are as follows:

At The Gates
Gorguts
Bongripper
Taake
Solstafir
Mgla
Excruciating Terror
Diocletian

More acts are expected to be confirmed soon.

They are also working on getting Carpathian Forest confirmed for next year.

I am going to try to go this time, I would like to see Gorguts, Taake, Solstafir, Excruciating Terror and I am sure there will be a number of bands confirmed between now and the fest that I want to see

Yessir. Just breaking through to the news sites in the past 30 mins.
If you feel like going to Canada in the next few months, Jason, check out the Noctis Fest!! Stellar lineup. Pagan Altar, Candlemass, Blasphemy, Girlschool, Bolzer, Satan's Satyrs, Exciter, Sacrifice, Possessed, Carcass, Revenge, Gorguts, and more...

If you feel like going to Canada in the next few months, Jason, check out the Noctis Fest!! Stellar lineup. Pagan Altar, Candlemass, Blasphemy, Girlschool, Bolzer, Satan's Satyrs, Exciter, Sacrifice, Possessed, Carcass, Revenge, Gorguts, and more...

Damn. That's a good lineup.

This fest is actually huge in Calgary, and sadly this is the the last one. The promoter is hanging the towel up after this year.

Next set of bands have been announced:

It has been awhile since we've announced any bands, so here are a few confirmations to hold you over until things really start to pick up with band announcements, starting next week!

UNLEASHED (Sweden) - Exclusive US appearance!
UNCLE ACID & THE DEADBEATS (UK) - Exclusive US appearance!
UNHOLY GRAVE (Japan)
WITCHRIST (New Zealand)

As you can see, we didn't spend the month of August booking dozens of bands, as we've been in the middle of sorting out the venue situation for next year, which is looking very positive right now. We plan on revealing more info about that during the first half of September.

The next announcement of confirmed bands will be next week, and you can expect frequent updates in September and October as we continue to book more bands. Headliner announcements are still to come.

Updated list of confirmed bands for MDF XII:

AT THE GATES (Sweden)
UNLEASHED (Sweden)
GORGUTS (Canada)
UNCLE ACID & THE DEADBEATS (UK)
TAAKE (Norway)
MGLA (Poland)
SOLSTAFIR (Iceland)
EXCRUCIATING TERROR
UNHOLY GRAVE (Japan)
HEMDALE
BONGRIPPER
DIOCLETIAN (New Zealand)
WITCHRIST (New Zealand)

I would say the odds are pretty good. They might have been the headliner they thought they would be able to announce in the first announcement.

Been wanting to go to the MDF since its incarnation. May just never works for me as far as travel time goes. At The Gates and Unleashed are enough to make try to figure something out for next year but if Emperor plays it I gotta make it happen, no ifs, ands, or buts...:)

There is no more need to speculate on if Emperor is going to play Maryland Deathfest. They will not be playing:

Seeing how the Emperor comments are relentless, we figured we'd just crush your dreams now and let you know that they CANNOT play MDF in May. We knew about the reunion (and the fact that they cannot play MDF) months before that Blabbermouth post. Sorry, but no way around that one.

Emperor has to be one of the biggest examples of "no one gave a crap" when they were around but now love them in the more recent history of metal.

HEck, even with their last tour that was only what, a few years ago, not terribly many cared.

MAybe it's Isahns solo material that has more people taking notice?

I am not big on Emperor, but I always found them to be one of the more interesting bands of the genre.

Emperor has to be one of the biggest examples of "no one gave a crap" when they were around but now love them in the more recent history of metal.

Only in Jasonicland.

HEck, even with their last tour that was only what, a few years ago, not terribly many cared.

If you're talking about the reunion tours, you're so wrong it's not even funny.

MAybe it's Isahns solo material that has more people taking notice?

It definitely has, and I totally agree that a lot of people discovered Emperor through Ihsahn. But to say they were "irrelevant" as you're implying, is absurd.

I am not big on Emperor, but I always found them to be one of the more interesting bands of the genre.

Nobody touches Emperor as far as black metal goes, imo. They were always so far ahead of their time, musically speaking, it's not even funny! \m/