First Maryland Deathfest XII bands announced

Well, Ulver was definitely not a band I ever expected to play the US, and I doubt they will ever play here again, so yeah, even more reasons to go now.

Well, Ulver was definitely not a band I ever expected to play the US, and I doubt they will ever play here again, so yeah, even more reasons to go now.

I had heard they had actually been trying to get into the US since around 2011, but I guess the opportunities weren't right.

Very cool to see Ulver. Wasn't expecting that. I love Candlemass, but as much as I think Mats is a great singer, he isn't exactly the best fit for the band.

I wish Fenriz and Nocturno Culto would just finally break down and agree to do some Darkthrone live (even if it's only a couple songs during Sarke's set at MDF) though this probably won't happen.

next set of bands have been announced:

CANCER (UK) - Exclusive US show and first time in the US since 1993.

SACRIFICE (Canada) - Exclusive US show and first time in the US since 1992.

NOCTURNUS A.D. - Playing "The Key" album in its entirety.

CROWBAR

DEATH TOLL 80K (Finland)

I wish Fenriz and Nocturno Culto would just finally break down and agree to do some Darkthrone live (even if it's only a couple songs during Sarke's set at MDF) though this probably won't happen.

Fenriz turned down six figure offers so yeah, it's never going to happen.

NC did a set of Darkthrone songs with Satyricon as his backing band a few years ago at one of the big Euro fests. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one or two pop up during the Sarke set.

NC did a set of Darkthrone songs with Satyricon as his backing band a few years ago at one of the big Euro fests. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least one or two pop up during the Sarke set.

Fuck. I would've loved to have seen that considering Satyricon is my favorite black metal band.

NC did a set of Darkthrone songs with Satyricon as his backing band a few years ago at one of the big Euro fests.

Wacken 2004.

Wow, really???????????

One of my favorites too. After Nemesis their records kind of went way downhill but those first 3 records are among the best in all of BM. The one that just came out through Nuclear Blast Entertainment a few weeks ago is their best release since Nemesis I think.

One of my favorites too. After Nemesis their records kind of went way downhill but those first 3 records are among the best in all of BM. The one that just came out through Nuclear Blast Entertainment a few weeks ago is their best release since Nemesis I think.

I personally like all their albums. What I love about them is that they've been able to successfully do different subgenres of black metal really well. I have the new one, but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

I also like that Satyricon has not kept to one style their whole run. They've really changed their approach almost every album. As much as I do enjoy their old material, there was just something about that K.I.N.G. album that I really liked.

But as far as a band like that that continues to evolve the sound, I still prefer probably Rotting Christ and Samael above Satyricon.

On topic about MDF, I'm really liking the lineup so far. The black metal they have on there is high quality...and nabbing Candlemass is awesome. The videos I've seen with Mats so far have sounded very very good to me.

Not a news bulletin. I've stated this several times.

No, that's cool. I am not knocking it.
They are not a band I have kept up with much over the years.

As you know, this is not at all my genre of expertise or favorite.

There's a few bands who I have felt have done something more unique than your average third wave BM band, like Enslaved, Nachtmystium, Sigh, etc.

Granted I dont even know if people consider those three BM bands anymore.

Black metal "purists" don't like very much experimentation in their black metal, but generally I say fuck those guys. I like that Blake has experimented with different sounds in Nachtmystium. And I like the black metal bands that are putting melody into their riffs. It's a more versatile genre than those who only like the "orthodox" style would let you believe.

No, that's cool. I am not knocking it.
They are not a band I have kept up with much over the years.

As you know, this is not at all my genre of expertise or favorite.

There's a few bands who I have felt have done something more unique than your average third wave BM band, like Enslaved, Nachtmystium, Sigh, etc.

Granted I dont even know if people consider those three BM bands anymore.

I wouldn't say Enslaved is, though they seem to be one of the few who have changed and haven't received much backlash for it. Nachtmystium is weird because they seem to switch what they do from album to album. I'd say their last one definitely is black metal. I'm actually not familiar with early Sigh, but they're definitely in the progressive/experimental vein.