First Maryland Deathfest XII bands announced

When I talked to Fernando from Moonspell he called his band "dark metal;" he also called it Gothic metal. And I've heard that term before for other bands too.

I saw Jon Haugm using that dumb phrase too. IMO i think Jasonic just does their PR.

I think it's a ridiculous term people conjured up about 5 years ago because they wanted to separate those bands from the St Vitus style bands. As Jasonic said, it's his opinion and it's always funny to poke fun at it, but he's of course more than entitled to jock that stuff (*cough*garbage). Moonspell, Paradise Lost, early Katatonia, Rapture, early Swallow The Sun, My Dying Bride, Slumber, and all the bands of that ilk are FAR more mournful and depressive sounding than those upbeat 80's knockoffs that ostensibly do nothing new and just sound exactly like other bands.

So sad to see Ulver canceled. Guess I'm def not going this year. :(

What??? I have no connection to Agalloch.

Dark Metal is indeed a genre that has been used in the media as well as by various labels.

Not very difficult. It's a word used to best describe those bands whose music encompasses the following:
- Mix of harsh and clean vox
- Death Metal
- Doom Metal
- Avante garde / gothic

Bands that I (once again MY opinion, Justin) consider to fall in this category:
- Katatonia
- My Dying Bride
- Saturnus
- later era Celtic Frost
- Novembers Doom
- Avernus
- Agalloch
- etc......

I don't want the Ulver cancellation to go over unnoticed. That fuckin' sucks man. Like really really sucks.

I only ever had one Ulver CD.
It was, well, different to say the least!
It wasn't one of their "classic" albums or anything.
Probably wasn't the best place to start but found a cheap promo at a store so checked it out.

Oh noes, my love of wuss rock is being mocked. However will I live with....ooh, keytar!

Not knocking or mocking........

But merely pointing out that since you are more of a wuss rock guy, it is easier to lump a lot of bands into the "doom" bucket.

I would probably do the same thing erroneously to a lot of death metal bands.

I only ever had one Ulver CD.
It was, well, different to say the least!
It wasn't one of their "classic" albums or anything.
Probably wasn't the best place to start but found a cheap promo at a store so checked it out.

Yeah man, they're a weird band. Not for everyone. I think Bergtatt is one of the greatest Black Metal records of all time but find myself listening to their mid-era and newer stuff a lot more frequently these days.

Not knocking or mocking........

But merely pointing out that since you are more of a wuss rock guy, it is easier to lump a lot of bands into the "doom" bucket.

I would probably do the same thing erroneously to a lot of death metal bands.

Sure you were.

And there are plenty of doom discs on my shelves. My Dying Bride, for example.

Are you kidding me? Every time this comes up you dismiss the very idea of a doom/death genre and trot out your "dark metal" tag. The line between amusing and tedious has been crossed.

Huh????

I have said MANY times that death / doom is a Jasonic approved genre definition. It is indeed appropriate for such bands like MDB who are not simply "doom metal"

I prefer the term "Dark Metal" as it further encompasses both gothic and Avante garde (Where appropriate).

But I have never said that death / doom was not an appropriate sub genre.

I posted the link to further clarify what Wikipedia (hahaha, yeah, I know, Wiki, but whatevs) states MDB to be.

- later era Celtic Frost

Interestingly, later Celtic Frost (and Triptykon which is Tom's new band that's basically in the same vain of what Celtic Frost was doing before he broke it up) is very much inspired by drone bands like Sunn O))). It's not overt, but you can kind of hear it in his "wall of sound" riffs that have a 'droney' pattern to them - and also his use of feedback and other guitar noises too.

I gotta say, it's pretty rare where a guy who's that old and has been doing this stuff for so long isn't afraid to do some cool and unique stuff. Especially considering that we're talking about the guy who wrote 'Cold Lake' which is awful.

Not sure if you're into it, but check it out. Triptykon is playing MDF and they've got a new album coming out, so it's relevant to this discussion.

And as for Ulver, if you want a starting point: Nattens Madrigal and Bergtatt are excellent early 90's bm classics. Their truly amazing stuff though is on Perdition City (which is an electronic/experimental/ambient album with some trip hop thrown in) and Shadows of the Sun (more on the straight ambient side of things). Blood Inside's good too if you liked Shadows of the Sun. The albums they put out after SoTS were kind of dull and repetitive save for a couple of interesting songs, and the collabo EP they just put out with Sunn O))) is pretty neat too.

I haven't heard Tryptykon to be honest.

I guess by later era CF I was speaking of Into the Pandemonium.
I was done with them once the Cherry Orchards video came out. LOL.

I did hear a couple tracks off Monotheist which were pretty good.

Didn't read this thread for a bit.

This isn't just directed at Jason but my God do we have to fight about genre labels so specifically? It's getting annoying. I was merely pulling your leg Jason as I know whenever anyone calls MDB doom you go all nutso.

The way I look at it is that basically doom is a broader term that has anything from Candlemass to MDB, but they definitely are two different styles of doom. I have heard dark metal before, I just think it's a really lame, unspecific genre label to the average person.