First Maryland Deathfest XII bands announced

So, a band is generic if they have growling vocals? (Not to mention that calling growling vocals "cookie monster vocals" was old when it started)

Also, Ulver is on MDF, they are in no way generic.

You may not like the bands on MDF, that does not mean they are all generic.

Ulver: Uniquely bland.

Ulver: Uniquely bland.

laughter.gif

I'm not sure when they put the individual stage tickets on sale, but I just got mine for the main stage on Sunday. I figure it might be my only chance to see My Dying Bride. How Glenn allowed the MDF guys to beat him out to MDB's first U.S. appearance (since 1997) I'll never know. :loco:

If they had switched the Friday night Edison Lot with the Saturday night Edison Lot, I probably would have gone Saturday as well:

At the Gates
Cancer
Castevet
Mgla
Necros Christos
Solstafir
Taake
The Ruins of Beverast
Ulver

That's an amazing night, and probably the only time Ruins and MGLA will come to the U.S.

I'm not sure when they put the individual stage tickets on sale, but I just got mine for the main stage on Sunday. I figure it might be my only chance to see My Dying Bride. How Glenn allowed the MDF guys to beat him out to MDB's first U.S. appearance (since 1997) I'll never know. :loco:

I guess I can say it now since many years have passed.
Chicago Powerfest tried to get MDB once, and it was VERY expensive.
Flights to / from the UK have ALWAYS been insane.

Obviously I can't speak for Glen, but only speculate that either no one has yet put in a sponsorship bid for them , or, if there has been, it has been nowhere enough to cover the expense.

I honestly have NO idea how MDF pulled it off, other than the band must have been willing to come for just expenses. Given all the other bands playing I can not even begin to imagine they are being offered much more if anything.

About the Glenn thing... I was totally kidding. I wouldn't expect this crowd to go for them at all.

I'm not sure if it was relating to CPF or something else, but I heard MDB wanted a whole lot of money to come here. Perhaps they've gotten to a point where they want to play here and are doing it for plane fare? The tickets for MDF are very expensive and is held simultaneously in three sizable locations. I have to imagine the MDF guys have a bit of money to play with.

Didn't 70,000 tons or Barge to Hell or whichever get MDB one year?

Yeah, they did 70,000 tons a couple years back.

I am surprised given the success many of the other Peaceville bands have had in the States over the years that they hadn't done a proper US tour in recent times.

That DIO tour was during some of metal's worst years in terms of popularity here in the States. I mean, at least here in Chicago, DIO played a place in the suburbs called JackHammers (formerly ToTo's for the locals who may remember). Around that same time I saw Manowar at that same venue.

I hope that experience with playing in front of lackluster crowds didn't taint their opinion of the states. Maybe that's why they are giving more high profile one offs a chance?

A lot of those Peaceville bands are old guys now and don't want to go through the expenses of trying to break out into a new territory. I mean even Autopsy doesn't really TOUR - they just do a couple of shows here and there kind of like Pig Destroyer and the like. Katatonia is an exception since they share management with Opeth and Devin Townsend so they will have an easier time getting success here. That being said, I doubt even Katatonia is profitable in the US yet. In that regard, Peaceville likely prides itself on its bands as "brands" in that it releases these bands that people will buy regardless of anything else because they know it will be good music.

I am also giddy about seeing My Dying Bride. Not only is their material on the newest album fucking crushing, but they still play some old shit live too, which is what I want for a long-running band that doesn't play here to do.

Yeah, they're one of the best - and they play actual doom metal - none of this st vitus worship hipster nonsense that people jock today.

I am also giddy about seeing My Dying Bride. Not only is their material on the newest album fucking crushing, but they still play some old shit live too, which is what I want for a long-running band that doesn't play here to do.

Agreed. Only problem with their material is how long it is, so you get such a small sampling. Still though I hope I get to see them providing making it over to MDF works out for me.

Jason saying MDB isn't doom in 3, 2, 1...

Ha, call it dark metal or maybe even death / doom but no, sorry, they are not "doom metal" Are there doom influences? Sure, maybe from a time signature perspective. But just being "slower" doesn't make a band doom, at least not sonically. Argue it to the moon and back. No one will change my opinion on this subject. And don't be an assbag. It's MY opinion. You do not have to agree......

Aeonic - I wish more bands would worship Saint Vitus!
The world would be a happier place!!! :heh:

I often wonder, in the genre debate, which genre has the strictest parameters of inclusion. Something can be "blackened" but not necessarily black metal. And something can have "doom influences" but not be doom. I've always thought of them as a doom metal band, and really don't know what makes them not. Is it that they don't play bluesy Black Sabbath riffs? Does that mean that Kyuss or Clutch are more doom metal than MDB?

I often wonder, in the genre debate, which genre has the strictest parameters of inclusion. Something can be "blackened" but not necessarily black metal. And something can have "doom influences" but not be doom. I've always thought of them as a doom metal band, and really don't know what makes them not. Is it that they don't play bluesy Black Sabbath riffs? Does that mean that Kyuss or Clutch are more doom metal than MDB?

They're a doom metal band. No need to overthink it. Jason is just wrong.

And nobody is calling anything dark metal. Quit trying to make that a thing.

When I talked to Fernando from Moonspell he called his band "dark metal;" he also called it Gothic metal. And I've heard that term before for other bands too.