Whos better Alex Skolnick or James Murphy?

Who is better Alex Skolnick or James Murphy?

• Alex Skolnick

Votes: 43 70.5%
  • James Murphy

Votes: 18 29.5%

• Total voters
Joel-RZ said:
Two different animals altogether, imo. Skolnick helped put Testament on the map with some incredible playing and because of his time with the band, Testament would need to find someone worthy of playing his leads live and also someone who could keep pushing the virtuoso envelope.

They found such a man in James Murphy. His work on Low is absolutely perfect and if given the opportunity to play on as much material as Skolnick I have no doubt he would have been just as interesting and commanding as Skolnick was,.

I love Skolnicks playing, but I think James style lends itself much better to the modern Testament. I would LOVE to see the Low line-up do another album.

agreed with you there but I strongly disagree about the low lineup getting back together cause we've had too many damn changes here in the testament camp and now its back to the original 5 guys again.. and that is testament at its peak! Modern testament was and is good yes but classic testament is untouchable.

Harmonicminor1210 said:
agreed with you there but I strongly disagree about the low lineup getting back together cause we've had too many damn changes here in the testament camp and now its back to the original 5 guys again.. and that is testament at its peak! Modern testament was and is good yes but classic testament is untouchable.

I think its cool that the original line-up is back, I really do. And they were fantastic live, playing the older material. But it isnt my favortie incarnation of Testament. To my ears, they got more interesting with the different players they have had. If they had kept either the Low line-up or the Gathering line-up for more than one album I think more people would have built a stronger connection with what they are capable of. They could have easily put themselves back on top and teach the new kids how its done.

That being said, I am intrigued by the new album, and from what I understand its the original line-up with drum duties split between Louie and John Tempesta...which is fine by me...the drumming from Low is outstanding ;)

i checked out james murphy's solo CDs and was not too impressed. his actual playing is really awesome but the arrangements and songs were pretty weak. i liked the ones chuck sang on though.

anyone else heard them?

This is a real difficult one. Alex's solos sound completely different from each other, but James' sound completely the same. Although, on Live @ Fillmore, James played Alex's solos better than Alex ever did.

There's also the heaviness factor to take into consideration. Starting with the Souls of Black album, Alex was leaning more towards rock music and that became more apparent when James stepped in to Heavy the shit up again. Low, is such a colossal album in composition & a perfect return to form. It remains to be heard whether Alex can recapture the old Thrash vibe again.

I have a lot of respect for James Murphy. His past work with Death, Obituary, Cancer, Disincarnate, Konkhra & his his solo albums is legendary in itself. He's a way more versatile guitarist than people give him credit for, and I look forward to hearing his next Disincarnate album, & hope to see him on tour with that band as well.

I vote James...

Joel-RZ said:
Two different animals altogether, imo. Skolnick helped put Testament on the map with some incredible playing and because of his time with the band, Testament would need to find someone worthy of playing his leads live and also someone who could keep pushing the virtuoso envelope.

They found such a man in James Murphy. His work on Low is absolutely perfect and if given the opportunity to play on as much material as Skolnick I have no doubt he would have been just as interesting and commanding as Skolnick was,.

I love Skolnicks playing, but I think James style lends itself much better to the modern Testament. I would LOVE to see the Low line-up do another album.

This is very well said. :headbang:

Low line-up and another Low-like album? My christmas wish. :headbang:

James all the way, he always been top shelf. Ever since he has worked with Obituary, Death and others to Testament, he always top notch. I think his style is more flowing and has more feeling. But thats just me, I like Alex though.

Let's put it this way, I never heard any fans say "remember that solo by Murphy?" It's always "man, that solo by Skolnick is amazing!" Some shit like that you know?! Alex is definitely a born soloist.:)

Tyler Durden said:
This is a real difficult one. Alex's solos sound completely different from each other, but James' sound completely the same. Although, on Live @ Fillmore, James played Alex's solos better than Alex ever did.

There's also the heaviness factor to take into consideration. Starting with the Souls of Black album, Alex was leaning more towards rock music and that became more apparent when James stepped in to Heavy the shit up again. Low, is such a colossal album in composition & a perfect return to form. It remains to be heard whether Alex can recapture the old Thrash vibe again.

I have a lot of respect for James Murphy. His past work with Death, Obituary, Cancer, Disincarnate, Konkhra & his his solo albums is legendary in itself. He's a way more versatile guitarist than people give him credit for, and I look forward to hearing his next Disincarnate album, & hope to see him on tour with that band as well.

I vote James...

You are absolutely out of your freakin mind by saying James Played Alex's solos better than Alex ever did. That is quite a hyprocritical opinion especially being Alex wrote the freakin solos and might I add on the first half of live at the fillmore James was slopping up the solos pretty bad. Listen to into the pit it pales in comparison to the solo Al played on live in london. Also the way he picks his solos is just not replicated by any guitarist that has ever stepped in to Testament he has his own sound period dont argue the fact here.Yes James is a fantastic player but someone else down here has the right opinion also when its said who's solos do most talk about? Alex fucking Skolnick man. James solos in Testament were just not as good or memorable as Alex's are therefore making him the obvious man for Testament as the lead guitarist that also a huge part of why Testament is as known as they are today. Alex recaptures that thrash vibe better on live in london by the way too if you have seen the dvd and or heard the cd. Those solos hes revamped are quite simply on fucking fire! James pales in comparison with Testament though his work with Death and Obituary and others is great too. I just had to reply to this that opinion upset me quite a bit about James playing the solos Alex fucking wrote better than him. The opinion is just flat out dumb. Get your facts straight and listen better next time peace.

ds336 said:
Let's put it this way, I never heard any fans say "remember that solo by Murphy?" It's always "man, that solo by Skolnick is amazing!" Some shit like that you know?! Alex is definitely a born soloist.:)

You gotta be kidding. Every Testament fan I EVER knew creamed over the solo in Trail of Tears. In fact, I have even heard some unknowing souls say, "Skolnick really turned it on for THAT solo!". When they found it wasn't Skolnick they were blown away and not as unhappy that he had left.

I agree Skolnick is a 'born soloist' as you say, but Murphy has the lead chops AND the rhythm chops, and the thing that really pushes him over the top for me is: he likes the heavy stuff ;)

I think I like the style change from the speed metal era of Skolnick over to the heavier Testament sound of Murphy.

With Skolnick I can remember the solos in my head. With James I can a bit but I feel that he brought authentic heaviness during his solos. I'd like to hear Skolnick play the Murphy era stuff! AND make solos as classic as the ones he did before he left BUT they have to suit the modern style as well as Murphy's did.

They are both brilliant guitarists and musicians. I would pick Skolnick only becase he was my original inspiration (sentimental reasons). They're both damn good.

Peace,
DHD:headbang:

I've always thought James Murphy was one of the better straight ahead metal lead guitarists out there, but what Skolnick plays is pretty unique in the genre. I guess I'll take Skolnick here, but James is great as well.

james murphy wins by a mile.
no one in metal has more soul in their leads. hes like a blues guitarist playing thrash/death metal. the dude is sick and it goes way beyond his contributions to the Testament.

Harmonicminor1210 said:
You are absolutely out of your freakin mind by saying James Played Alex's solos better than Alex ever did. That is quite a hyprocritical opinion especially being Alex wrote the freakin solos and might I add on the first half of live at the fillmore James was slopping up the solos pretty bad. Listen to into the pit it pales in comparison to the solo Al played on live in london. Also the way he picks his solos is just not replicated by any guitarist that has ever stepped in to Testament he has his own sound period dont argue the fact here.Yes James is a fantastic player but someone else down here has the right opinion also when its said who's solos do most talk about? Alex fucking Skolnick man. James solos in Testament were just not as good or memorable as Alex's are therefore making him the obvious man for Testament as the lead guitarist that also a huge part of why Testament is as known as they are today. Alex recaptures that thrash vibe better on live in london by the way too if you have seen the dvd and or heard the cd. Those solos hes revamped are quite simply on fucking fire! James pales in comparison with Testament though his work with Death and Obituary and others is great too. I just had to reply to this that opinion upset me quite a bit about James playing the solos Alex fucking wrote better than him. The opinion is just flat out dumb. Get your facts straight and listen better next time peace.

You can put your dummy back in now...