Who's Better Than Michael Romeo???

ChalkSilhouette1

New Metal Member
Jul 1, 2003
FL
Visit site
I was just wondering if you guys knew of anybody that played better guitar than Michael Romeo??? I saw a insturctional video he did in Japan, and when i saw him play i was just.... :OMG: im still picking my jaw up off the ground.....

mmm you can't say someone is better than other, because there are too many stuff to take into account when evaluating, but if you mean technically, allan holdsworth is the man (my favourite idol...:) ), along with shawn lane (dont like him very much, but he's probably the fastest one around) and michael angelo (same as shawn lane)

Once you get upto the level MJR is at, there is no one that is "better" overal around. It is all a matter of taste. If you want more technical and faster playing check out the people EllPredicador said and Rusty Cooley ( www.rustycooley.com ), Terry Syrek ( www.terrysyrek.com ) and some others. If you want people MJR is influenced by there is Jason Becker, Yngwie, Randy Rhoads. Or if you want other players that are not related in those areas there is Alexi Laiho, Tony MacAlpine, John Petrucci, James Murphy, Kiko Loeurio (angra)
, the guy from Cryptopsy, Vinnie Moore, Steve Morse, and many others.
But I think MJR is definately my favourite guitarist at the moment. The way he playes technically, emotionally and the riffery is unbelievable.

*DING DING DING!!* "On the left corner, Jooooooohn Peeeeetruci!!! and on the Right corner MIIIIIIIIKE ROOOOOMEO!!!"
"Round 1" (blows wistle)

Don't laugh at me, but what about the dude from Jag Panzer? I have never heard anyone mention him before and he is absolutely brilliant. Go to www.jagpanzer.com and check out the video section... it's almost all him just fucking around, and he is doing brilliant stuff and looking bored. Check that out and let me know what you think. By the way, as for being better than mike? Mabey not, but he's un-fucking-believable!

edit- just a few more notes that i find impressive. By checking out the videos you will see he is very versitile in all techniques. Though you don't see it in the solo videos (for scarlet letter and take to the sky) just exactly his extent of kick-assness, it's a decent representation of what he can do. Seriously, check out some panzer. By the way, the vocalist is crap, but the guitarist alone is worth listening to.

Frank Gambale
Scott Mishoe (whips Romeos ass, download Mal-Funk-Shen)
Borislav Mitic
Stephan Forte
Scott Stine
Fredrik Thordendal

and that`s just the ones I can think of right now. Romeos still an awesome guitarist though.

Nah, none of the guitarists in Dimmu Borgir (Astennu, Silenoz, Galder...) have been especially proficient. Astennu was fast, but VERY sloppy. So sloppy that they kicked him out in fact. Silenoz is a tight rhythm guitarist, but nothing special. Galder is tight and very melodic, but not really a great guitarists...

Holdsworth, on the other hand: :worship:

He plays stuff that is impossible for any normal guitarist.. Probably one of the best and most innovative players of his instrument, ever. EVER! Add him to my list, he`s better than all of the others anyway!

theodyssey said:
Don't laugh at me, but what about the dude from Jag Panzer? I have never heard anyone mention him before and he is absolutely brilliant. Go to www.jagpanzer.com and check out the video section... it's almost all him just fucking around, and he is doing brilliant stuff and looking bored. Check that out and let me know what you think. By the way, as for being better than mike? Mabey not, but he's un-fucking-believable!

edit- just a few more notes that i find impressive. By checking out the videos you will see he is very versitile in all techniques. Though you don't see it in the solo videos (for scarlet letter and take to the sky) just exactly his extent of kick-assness, it's a decent representation of what he can do. Seriously, check out some panzer. By the way, the vocalist is crap, but the guitarist alone is worth listening to.
Yeah he's good, but not up to Romeo's level. And I like the vocalist from Jag Panzer :) The "Take to the Sky" solo is pretty kick ass. I wish I had RealPlayer to check out the videos but you have to pay for it now :(

And Strychnos, Jon Schaffer is a great rhythm guitarist, but technique-wise, especially during the solos, he doesn't even come close to Romeo.

I like the vocalist on songs like Black and take to teh sky is pretty good... but most of the time he just make me cringe... and live, he was a dick lol

I think Shawn Lane is extremelly technically good, at least on the same level as Romeo, another one (as already stated by others)is Michael Angelo.He has maybe the best and cleanest picking technique i`ve ever seen.