Who's the fastest metal band??

As for other "unofficial" drum speed records, I'm pretty sure Morbid Angel's Pete Sandoval plays the fastest double bass single strokes ever recorded on "Opening of the Gates". About 18/19 notes per second, more or less constantly throughout the entire chorus. That's about the same as the Berzerker, but with the feet.
Wow. I'm a lot faster than I thought. I always play single strokes, and I'm at 12-16 notes per second. 16-17 on a really good day.

Ownage!

aiwass said:
It was BOTH hands. Just a regular two-hand roll. Since it was recorded independently from the WFD (world's fastest drummer) competitions, it's unofficial, but it's very close to the official records, give or take a few beats. His record was the fastest for a while, but it's been broken a few times now (Afanador, Verdi, Mangini...).

As for other "unofficial" drum speed records, I'm pretty sure Morbid Angel's Pete Sandoval plays the fastest double bass single strokes ever recorded on "Opening of the Gates". About 18/19 notes per second, more or less constantly throughout the entire chorus. That's about the same as the Berzerker, but with the feet.
Who are those guys? (Afanador, Verdi, Mangini) and what bands do they play in?

Thank you,

I can't believe the conversation got this far without mentioning Pete or Morbid Angel.

aiwass said:
It was BOTH hands. Just a regular two-hand roll. Since it was recorded independently from the WFD (world's fastest drummer) competitions, it's unofficial, but it's very close to the official records, give or take a few beats. His record was the fastest for a while, but it's been broken a few times now (Afanador, Verdi, Mangini...).

Demonspell said:
I think it is possible to play fast and still be emotional at the same time, unfortunately few bands that specialize in shred or hyperfast death metal use the former as an expense for the latter...
Agreed, since the emotion of music is mostly in the ear of the listener.
But hey, sometimes shred for the sake of shred is fun - I mean, come on, this is the Symphony X forum, we like technical music! :headbang: