Why a post about Pink Floyd?

Pink Floyd's music is very diverse, and they have released some of my all-time favourite music. I would divide their albums into 4 phases :

1. From "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" till "Atom Heart Mother". Weird, inventive, psychedelic masterpieces - all of them are quite different, but surely immortal. My favourite from here is "Ummagumma" (the live part).

2. The albums around "Dark Side of the Moon", including "Wish You Were Here" etc. I find them boring and uninspired.

3. From "Animals", through "The Wall" and ending with "The Final Cut". Wow. This is the Roger Waters phase - the music has almost nothing in common with phase 1, it is dark, desolate, emotional and biting. The Wall is a constant entry in my Top 10 of all time. I like the movie too, but prefer to listen to the album without the images. Waters did get a lot of tsk-tsking from the arrogant critics for this story - they were calling it "self-pitying" etc, but I think that's bullshit. The Wall is one of the most cohesive modern music+story pieces of art, and that says it all.

Here Pink Floyd ends. The two forgettable pop pieces "Momentary Lack of Cash" and "Division Bell" are better to be ignored.

End with "The Final Cut" and continue with Anathema's "The Silent Enigma" and onwards... ;)

D Mullholand, a dead composer
---------------------------------------
NP: The 3rd & the Mortal - Tears Laid in Earth